Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made a bit of a start on the spotlight holes. While I waited for the welds to cool down, I chipped out the old chalking around the edge using a chisel. I'm in two minds about separating the roof cap from the perimeter. Any thoughts???

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

Hell of a job and in my opinion, probably not worth it unless you can see evidence of water penetration.

Ben,when do you think your resto is finished ?
Cheers Peter
G'day Peter, I reckon another two years. I work slowly and I did some calculations the other day about the cost of outstanding items, tyres, radiator, upholstery, roof lining etc, etc. Actually, I better make that four years. Cheers, Ben
Ben,when do you think your resto is finished ?
Cheers Peter

Hell of a job and in my opinion, probably not worth it unless you can see evidence of water penetration.

Howdy Cult. I inclined to agree. I would love to separate them. But I reckon there are around 80 spot welds that would need to be cut out. I'd then have to find a spot welder to glue it back together. I reckon chemical warfare is going to be the best approach. Any updates on the movie? And how is the lawyer going? Cheers, Ben

Last edited:
All the guys on the Willys board thought I lost my marbles when I took my wagon roof off, huge job, random spot welds everywhere, but in the end well worth the effort. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons in your particular case. Doors turned out really good BTW.

Cult, I am also wondering how your Lawyer is doing....?

G'day Peter, I reckon another two years. I work slowly and I did some calculations the other day about the cost of outstanding items, tyres, radiator, upholstery, roof lining etc, etc. Actually, I better make that four years. Cheers, Ben
... like a turtle .... no hurry :) Cheers Peter

9780805095210.IN01.jpg

Last edited:
Well fellas thanks fer askin. The legal eagle has landed, so to speak. She's kickin' arse by day and makin' roast and veg by night. Unfortunately, I've not given her a good first impression of our beloved early Landcruiser stock, so she politely declines my frequent offer of joyrides. Who can blame her though? Even Satan himself would complain about the noise, the heat, the rattles and the general discomfort.

Ben in two years when you're done and I'm sporting something resembling a powerful and comfortable Landcruiser we will most definitely pencil in a southern run.

Well fellas thanks fer askin. The legal eagle has landed, so to speak. She's kickin' arse by day and makin' roast and veg by night. Unfortunately, I've not given her a good first impression of our beloved early Landcruiser stock, so she politely declines my frequent offer of joyrides. Who can blame her though? Even Satan himself would complain about the noise, the heat, the rattles and the general discomfort.

Ben in two years when you're done and I'm sporting something resembling a powerful and comfortable Landcruiser we will most definitely pencil in a southern run.

G'day Cult.......the problem is obvious mate. Of course she is going to find it, hot, loud, smelly and uncomfortable if you let her in the cab!! That's why she should be ride'n out back with the wind her hair. That way she gets to enjoy the atmosphere and the environment and nature and stuff and if she stands up, she'll get a good view of Sydney Harbour over the top of the cab. A bit like Priscilla. Very, very romantic in my humble opinion.

Cheers, Ben

View attachment 1642059

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Last night and tonight I hung the doors in my spray booth (read old garden shed) and got down a couple of good coats of epoxy primer. I got a few runs on the rear window panel, so I backed of the fluid for the first coat and allowed them 'flash off'. I'm much happier with the outcome, no runs. A few bits of lint and dust, but otherwise I pretty happy. The final pic is inside the door.

IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8653.JPG

I reckon this is 'art' fellas. I actually wanted to make a comment about the masculine identity in a post feminist era. So I decided to shoot this haunting image of an old Land Cruiser door, seemingly hovering in space in an old shed (Just joking fellas - Its just a photo of an old car door taken with the lights off and no flash. What a wanker!)

IMG_8655.JPG

Nice work PF!

Well hombres, I've have a long and frustrating week in the shed. The roof cap, had these three holes cut in it to fit spot lights. At some point one of the previous owners, had attempted to patch them. One patch had caused the roof to cup another one had caused it to balloon.

IMG_8614.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

IMG_8599.JPG

I wasn't too worried. I removed the old patches and started to weld in new patches. I not sure what happened, but the entire roof sort of 'cupped' and distorted. Even the ribs that bowed down. Between the highest and lowest point was 15mm (3/4 inch). It was clearly visible. So I performed a drastic surgical procedure and sliced the roof straight down the middle.

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom