Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G'day Mudders, It's been about four weeks since my last update. The roof is pretty well finished, I got the front drip rail back on and will hopefully get it to my sandblaster on Tuesday and he can have give it a final once over.

IMG_8802.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

I've also made a start on the rust along the bottom edge of the in the front wind shield panel. I had my local sheetmetal place fold me up a bit to use as a patch. It only cost $20. But is a long way from perfect so we'll see how it turns out.

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8811.JPG

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8815.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

roof looks good man, well done.
It's coming along. I'm looking forward to moving onto another part of the build to be honest. I reckon I might actually keep going on the roof and get it into top coat, so I don't have to worry about it any more...........well until I go to fit it and find out that it doesn't work or it leaks.

I had this afternoon off work and hit the roof with the stripping disc. I'll drop it around to my sand blaster tomorrow and get him to clean up a few nooks and crannies that I can't get to with the grinder. There is also a bit of old seam sealer and surface rust around the rim that I want to get rid of.

IMG_8854.JPG

IMG_8856.JPG

IMG_8849.JPG

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8852.JPG

Lookin good Ben! Keep up the good work mate and you’ll be driving it in no time!!

That roof looks so good!!

G'day All, I got the roof back from the sandblasters yesterday and tonight gave it a final clean down and got it into epoxy primer. It is remarkable that even a small amount of gloss on the wet primer will show up dents and ripples that you hadn't previously noticed. Cheers, Ben

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

G'day Fellas, It has been a while since I updated this thread. The kids had started to ask their mother, who the strange old bloke was living in out the shed. So I figured I'd better re-align my priorities...........at least for a couple of weeks. However, I'm now back into it. Last week was good one, I responded to an add on Facebook in regard to a bloke who wanted to swap an original ARB catcher's mask bullbar for stubby style winch bar. As a result, last Thursday night I went on a quick 300 km drive to the other side of Melbourne met a great bloke called Simon,who is a true Landcruiser lover and picked up this baby (I reckon I got the better end of the deal).

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8911.JPG

Last edited:
It's not without it problems. Its got some serious rust issues in one corner and the bottom section of tubing will need to be replaced. The bar across the centre is also bent in about 10mm and has a few dents in it that I would like to remove. But all things considered I'm stoked.

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

Back to old Mario. On the weekend I started stripping the body tub. On the bottom of the tub is some black bitumen based sort of sound deadener stuff. I thought I was going to have to strip it off with a heat gun. But, paint stripper makes light work of it. This is before, during and after the first two rounds of paint stripper.

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

Wow! That turned out really nice, well done.

And that is one hell of a Roo basher, very burly.

When ya need'a bash you some roos - go burly.

Nice work PF. Cab looks ace and the bar will look right at home. Are ya gonna unpick all the spot welds and to really git'er dun? ;)

When ya need'a bash you some roos - go burly.

Nice work PF. Cab looks ace and the bar will look right at home. Are ya gonna unpick all the spot welds and to really git'er dun? ;)

Roo bar or bull bar?? I reckon I am more likely to run over a deer than a kangaroo or a bull. But, I don't think I can refer to it as 'deer bar' - just doesn't sound very tough. We have lots of rabbits and foxes. Perhaps I should call it a 'vermin bar'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom