Mort's 76 FJ55 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Astro van hydro boost worked for me, the 1.3125” Astro van master did not. Figure out what calipers you’re going to run first then size your master to that. FYI I’m running a 1.125” master on mine now and like it.

I am hoping the Calipers and drums are good on the axles i'm trying to buy. If not, I will look into upgrading to the 4 runner calipers.

I'm hoping to get it mechanically sound and replace my 4 runner. My budget was $10k but that's not going to happen. I'm hoping I can get everything done for under $12k now. I work a lot out of town, but when I am home I don't work. I can use hanger space where I work to build stuff and am single, so there shouldn't be many distractions once I start on it and have the parts. That's the nice thing about working out of town, you have time to get the parts you think you need while you are gone so you can install them when you get home.

Like Jack, I'd have to dig gauge size up... but I want to say 5". It is the standard "large" gauge size... so 2 1/16", 2 1/2", then I forget. It isn't the super large or any uncommon size.

*thumbs up to High Impact* I was going to go through them for my NV4500 but got mine rebuilt instead for a bit more.

You're the reason I'm going through them. At first I though it was expensive, until I started to look around at the cost of the adapter plates for everything, and trying to figure out what works. Also the cost of a rebuilt transmission with a core charge.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I am going to need a new rear window gear and to do some repairing on my tailgate.

They sent us home for a few days so I got the inside stripped mostly. Tomorrow I'll power wash it. There's some rust but it's not too bad. I'll get pics when it's light.

Last edited:
My tailgate handle was broken. I'm having a welder friend braze it back together, but I'm thinking about doing something to reinforce it. I was thinking about cutting a pice of aluminum the same shape as the arm and using body panel glue or something else to glue to it for reinforcement.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm back out at work. I'm in the process of ordering everything I need to get the interior and floors in the cruiser done and install the engine. The rest of the body still seems solid but the floors are worse than expected. I guess I didn't get great photos of it. I did rebuild the tailgate corner and just need to drill the holes for the screws and find some screws. I see that SOR has them, is there a cheaper source for the tailgate hinge screws?

Yep. Flux. I bought the bottle for gas, but need to get it filled.

I'll look at the bolt places. Thanks.

I've been searching around the past couple days on the internet and cannot find what the size and thread pitch of the tailgate bolts. Does anyone know what they are off hand?

I LOVED the look of the 17" Sequoia/Tundra rims on my 55:
tire2_sml-jpg.235939

The biggest thing I don't like about them is they have a "huge" amount of backspacing so the edge of the wheel was ~1.5" in the wheelwell. Not a look I like so I bought 1.5" spacers just before I changed plans and liked the look.

Lil'john, didn't you say those are 60 axles and they are still 1.5" too far in the wheel well. I'm having a hard time finding a 60 axle and wondered if I used an 80 front axle, which I read are 3" wider, and the Tacoma 17" wheels I have, if they would be the right width without sticking out of the wheel wells. Plus I could use all the mounts on the axle housing and do the coil suspension. It would make life much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom