Mort's 76 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The motor came with two different manifolds. The one that's on it is a 6bt manifold that's been cut down for the 4bt. It also has the original manifold. There are a few sensors that I'm not sure what they do and I need to read up on how to install a tachometer. I'm headed out of town again for a week. I'm hoping to have some time to get parts ordered and read more about this engine.

I used a “Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface from Dakota Digital” for my tach, there is a hole on top of the adapter that it threads into.
Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface

Take a picture of the 6BT manifold when you get time, sounds like it’s like my Steed Speed manifold I had made.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That looks like it will work well, I run mine flipped over to run the turbo lower and I believe you should be able to do the same with that manifold if needed..

Are you saying I may not need a new turbo,or will I still need one?

Need is a relative term, you don’t “need” a new turbo but you’re going to hate that one, it won’t make much of any boost down low and you’re EGT’s are always going to be difficult to control.

So I guess “want” is a better description, both the turbos I listed above will work much better and running all the piping for the new turbo after the fact sucks. You’re better off starting out with a proven combination and building once.

When I said flipping the manifold over to lower the turbo A was talking about the exhaust manifold.

You can see mine in this picture.

Assuming you're going to run an intercooler it will make it easier if you flip the manifold like mine and clock the turbo outlet up.
You can see the intercooler piping in this video and exactly how much room you don't have to run the pipe.

Thanks for the advice. I leave for work tomorrow and will have time to find the turbo while out of town. The second turbo, is that the one you ordered from China? I didn't see anyone selling one here in the states.

Would a top mounted inter cooler like the fj78 of the diesel 80 fit, or would it make it too tall?

Thanks for the advice. I leave for work tomorrow and will have time to find the turbo while out of town. The second turbo, is that the one you ordered from China? I didn't see anyone selling one here in the states.

Yes, I know of two options for that turbo. You can order it from a member on 4BTswaps.com Petter Lonning, do a search for “Alcaid” and shoot him a PM. About $750 from Petter.

You can search Aliababa with the part numbers I posted and find them in China and buy direct but you’re dealing with the unknown and do so at your own risk. About $500 buying direct.

Would a top mounted inter cooler like the fj78 of the diesel 80 fit, or would it make it too tall?

I can only tell you what worked for me, I wanted the biggest intercooler I could fit so it needed to go in front of the radiator in the airstream. The engine bay is narrow in a pig so piping had to go up and not out like you turbo is clocked now. I set my engine as high as I could to keep the pig as low as possible so lowering the turbo help make all that a reality.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I got my 55 today. They are smaller than I remember. I didn't have time to look it over very well before leaving town again but it looks cleaner that I had anticipated, but I know there's always more rust than expected with these cruisers.

It's supposed to be original paint. It's been sitting in a field outside Sacramento For 20 years.

Sure looks like you got a good one. When you get back in town, try running a magnet around the body. That would be a big blessing starting out with a body like that.

I'll put a magnet on it when I get into town for a few days. It might be a few weeks before I have some real time with her. In the mean time I bought tires. Ebay had a good deal through Discount tire on Cooper discoverer AT3s. I bought them in 285/75R17. With the deal Ebay was running I got 6 tires for $1052. I wanted a little bigger wheel hoping it would help with the handling with less rubber, though I don't know if 2" will make a big difference. Also they are a 10 ply tire.

I'm trying to find a set of fj60 axles. I have a lead on a set and a guy said he would get me the shipping info, but I haven't heard from him. The 60 axles will help with the over drive. From what I've read the fj55 has a 4.11 gearing and the fj60 has a 3:70.

I bought the Super 30 turbo that J Mack suggested and the guy said it should be here in about 2 weeks.

Tomorrow I will probably order the transmission from High Impact out of Sacramento. I decided to go with A new transmission because I couldn't find a used one local in Alabama and the re manufactured transmissions were $1200 plus a core charge. The new transmission from High Impact is $1950 and they have the adapter plates and bellhousing that go from my engine to the transmission and from the transmission to the split transfer case that I'm looking for right now.

I've been looking into the Hydroboost online and am just looking for a decent price for one and a new master cylindar. I know the ones out of the Astro Van work, but I still need to do some more research into it.

I've been thinking about gauges for the 4bt. I am leaning towards the Edge CS monitor. You can hard wire it, and also they have accesories that plug directly into its wiring harness so it will read fuel pressure and EGTs and a bunch of other things. This way I'll only have one extra thing to find a place for.

I've seen a few of you guys change out your gauges to an aftermarket gauge. I've found a few that look good and are a three gauge on each. That way I can have speed on one and a tach on the other. What size are the gauges you guys bought to replace the speedometer?

Astro van hydro boost worked for me, the 1.3125” Astro van master did not. Figure out what calipers you’re going to run first then size your master to that. FYI I’m running a 1.125” master on mine now and like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom