More Power Puller VS ARB Magnum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to buy a capable, reliable hand winch and I'm torn between the new More Power Puller with Synthetic Rope and the Magnum Trifor Style Hand winch.

I searched the forum for insight and found some good info, but most of the threads pretty much end up in the same spot- just get a cheap electric winch!
I understand why people say that, but I don't really want to go through the weight add and winch bumper + winch cost (to do it right I'm looking at $1500 min). A lot of folks will also say just get a Badlands winch from HF and mount it to a hitch receiver- which makes sense but the reviews on Badlands and other winches in that price range are pretty sketchy from what I've read- some people swear by them while others have burned em out on the first pull.

Both the More Power Puller and Magnum Hand Winch can be had on Amazon for about $400 all in and there is no setup needed and you only take it out when you need it.

What do you guys think- anyone have experience with both?

I'm not looking to winch up a trials course or anything- just want something that can help me get out of a bog if I miss-judge one when out by myself.

Links:
More Power Puller:
Amazon product ASIN B00455VCTY
Magnum:
Amazon product ASIN B00B78NS5I

You need to winch and drive at the same time if driving doesn't work by itself. Hard to imagine doing that with a hand winch, especially safely.

I agree with all the comments saying to get a cheap electric winch. Hand winching is dumb

I hear where you're coming from, most of the time I have at least my girlfriend with me, so I could have her behind the wheel with me winching.

That said- I've seen some good videos on YouTube of guys with the Magnum winching trucks out on their own in neutral- it's slow, but looks effective. Havent seen any vids on the More yet.

You can tell me if you think I'm being dum here- but from what I've seen it can be done.

I hear where you're coming from, most of the time I have at least my girlfriend with me, so I could have her behind the wheel with me winching.

That said- I've seen some good videos on YouTube of guys with the Magnum winching trucks out on their own in neutral- it's slow, but looks effective. Havent seen any vids on the More yet.

You can tell me if you think I'm being dum here- but from what I've seen it can be done.
If the vehicle lurches free with her foot on the gas, you're going to be right in front of a 7000lb missile. Bad idea

I used a come along for a whole lot of years , and have never had any kind of issue but they will work you , but just take your time, I still carry one in my tundra, the red power puller is a good one, mine is a old one with 3/8 cable and I sourced a longer solid steel bar bar for a handle. Just be sure you have a decent snatch block and extension cable or chain , just nothing that will stretch . There’s nothing wrong with using a good quality come a long but forget those cheap ones , they will fail quickly and have very little cable on them. I’ve pulled my self out of a lot of jams with one. We can’t all afford a good winch and Forget a cheap one, and save for a good quality winch that you can trust. in the mean time a good heavy duty come along won’t fail you , a cheap winch could very well leave you stranded .

Last edited:
Thanks 'Slacker' do you have any experience with the Magnum 'linear cable puller" style or would you say go with the spool style come along type?

You need an electric winch 9500lb +, not a hand winch. These hand winches might be good for the odd side pull, but not great choice for extraction. Curious, is it $$ thing or just not wanting to add weight or wire and mount a dedicated winch? FWIW Trail Tailor sells a hidden winch mount bracket that you can mount behind your stock bumper; super clean install option for those that don't want or have a steel bumper. You can find capable winches from $300 & up. HF sells the badlands- on sale its stinking cheap; while they aren't competition quality, they will pass for occasional use.

Fair question.

It's a number of things- for one, I live in an area where things get stolen- and I don't want to draw attention to my truck.
The other side is the cascade of things I really should do if I wanna do an electric winch right.

A good winch bumper for a 100 series is ~1k a good winch is around 1k - then what about alternator/ battery load...I just put a new OEM alternator in for ~$400 and I don't want to upgrade right away.

Good point about the hidden winch bracket but what does the install take? I don't have a welder that could lay a good bead on frame gauge steel.

In around 6 years of wheeling I've only gotten stuck where I could not get myself out with a jack and a shovel one time. It looks like for the situation I did get stuck a good hand winch would have done the trick.

I guess I just want to keep things simple. I have my t-bars cranked and the truck sits nice just the way it is, and the stock bumper looks good imo- I feel like the added weight would drop the front down a bit.

The winch plate: Hidden Winch Mount 100 Series. Should bolt right up after cutting some crossmember stuff out of the way. All in (with a cheaper winch) you'd be pretty far under 1K.

What's the benefit of a hand winch over something like a hi-lift? Length of pull? I don't have any insight really, but it sounds like you've got the experience to get the tool that's right for you. Just don't let her run you over :flipoff2:

Ha- thanks for the advice everyone who chimed in. The advantage is length of pull and not needing to lug around 30ft of chain (needed for high lift to winch)- but these are all valid points you guys made.

The hidden winch plate does look awesome- throw the fairlead behind a license plate and I've reduced my theft concern a bit too.

** And now we have one more hand winch debate that ends with "get an electric winch" this one really came full circle :)

You can buy good used warn winches all day long for 3-500$
there is no way in h@ll im paying $400 for any comealong, ever.
A winch with rope is under 100lbs. Cable ads 20-25 maybe.
Set your budget in the 6-750$ range and rethink your mission.
I think of my winch as a potential life saver, so im not really going to dick around and cut corners there.

You can buy good used warn winches all day long for 3-500$
there is no way in h@ll im paying $400 for any comealong, ever.
A winch with rope is under 100lbs. Cable ads 20-25 maybe.
Set your budget in the 6-750$ range and rethink your mission.
I think of my winch as a potential life saver, so im not really going to dick around and cut corners there.

The voice of experience.

If you go the hand winch option also consider the 4 ton Maasdam Power Puller.

9257796.jpg

I also agree with @gnob. My 2 DD both have 8274’s that I bought used for decent prices...BUT to answer your original question regarding which....More Power Puller of Tirfor Style...

I also have an Tirfor, used it prior to getting my 8274’s...and LOVED it. It was always there and never failed to get me out. A good Tirfor is well built and simple to work with. Is it ‘better’ than a More Power Puller? Can’t say that it is...just posting to give you some insight on your choices from someone who actually has used one.

If you end up not getting an electric winch and instead choose a Tirfor...it’s a great choice and will work for you!

I've winched out 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with a
More Power Puller several times. It's slow, labor intensive and somewhat dangerous because you're working right up against the winch cable and rigging. However, they work and get the job.

That said, and electric winch in a hidden mount just makes more sense. The power puller with synthetic line is $330 + depending on source. That puts you well over half way to a Warn VR series of winch and more than a Harbor Freight Bandlands. If you can weld, a Harbor Freight winch plate can be had cheap and modified to fit your rig.

I'm in a situation like you and a bumper and winch just isn't in the cards for quite a while. I considered a power puller as a stop gap measure, but I can't see paying over $300 for a hand winch when I can do a hidden bumper mount and winch for starting around $500. Most of my wheeling is forest and logging roads. I just need to be able to self rescue since I'm alone much of the time.

Last edited:
I don't have the syn. rope, but a power puller steel cable hand winch and it works great. I'd get the Power Puller , been around for a long time and they work. If that's what you want then get it, with a little sweat you'll be able to do a lot and get out of most spots. Maybe carry an extra leader cable and snatch pulley, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom