Mod to join cab & bed+cap into one? Troopy-style! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So I am thinking about an expo rig and I love the Tacoma as a platform. What I also love is the Troopy in that you can access the rear from the front (I want to sleep inside rather than with a RTT). The 4Runners are too small in my opinion...

My idea is to take a 4 door or extended cab Tacoma, open up the back of the cab and the front of the bed, add adequate structural material, build a camper/utility "cap" (or replace the bed with such) and join the two and have a hybrid Tacoma/Troopy... a "Taroopy"?

Thoughts?

By not long enough I mean not long enough inside for me. I'd like to not have to move stuff around to be able to sleep, to not have to sleep on a platform that left 18" between mattress and ceiling. In fact I would like to build this with a lift/flippak top of some sort to gain even more living space.

For what you are describing I think a chinook popup is ideal and you can still find them for a decent price. Swap the chinook shell onto a newer chassis and they make a great. Overland rig. My version of this was built on a 01 tundra single cab long bed with 4.7l engine. We love it!

Build here:
[URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/tunook-build-has-new-life.115353/[/URL]"]www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/tunook-build-has-new-life.115353/[/URL]

There is another member in the expedition build thread that built one on a newer tacoma chassis and it turned out nice too.

20161105_150115.jpg

I'm also looking to keep this thing low profile not much higher if at all than the cab, and not any wider. if anything I would do a pop top I'm some sort to get more headroom or even some sort of sleeping space up above.
I want to be able to do reasonably tight and reasonably off camper trails without pooping myself. I don't want a lot of weight up top.

Look into bracing the frame, they are know to flex between cab and bed.

I'm also thinking about a soft connection between the cab and the rear. Some sort of a large grommet thing... Something that would flex enough but yet provide a waterproof seal.
Probably make a smaller pass through between the seats rather than opening up the whole area.

This is a pretty interesting concept. I think that the Chinook on the back is the easiest way to get what you want, granted you can find one. If you were to do it with a Tacoma and it were up to me I would get a camper shell, cut the front of the shell off and then join them somehow maybe using fiberglass? Or make in inlay for the shell to sit using sheet metal and then use fiberglass and wood to extend the shell and fit like into the inlay..kinda like the shell on a Bronco. It would be pretty cool if it was convertible...

But honestly, given the time and money involved it might be better to just buy a troopy or have one imported.

But if you do go the other route, I definitely wanna see how the process goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom