Misfire on Cylinder #1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am coming up empty on solving a rough running issue on my 1999 Toyota Lancruiser.

I'll start at the beginning and then ask my questions.

My wife was driving the Cruiser while I was out of town and called to say that it was running horrible and the check engine light was flashing. I told her to park it and drive the other car until I could get back and work on it. She had just filled the Cruiser up from the fuel being so low that the light was on.

I drove it when I got home and it was missing very bad, no power at all. I ran the codes and it was showing the following:

P0300
P0301
P0304
P0304
P0308

After doing some (a lot) of reading here on Mud I decided to buy (1) new coil pack. I installed it in Cyl #1 and it did nothing and the codes were the same. I then pulled the pack and plug from Cyl #8 and #4 and tested for spark. Cyl #4 was showing no spark. I replaced the coil pack on #4 with the removed coil pack from #1. That seemed to make the issue 75% less severe.

I then cleared the codes and went for a drive. It ran much better but still rough under load at low rpms. I drove about 5 miles and then the check engine light came back on. I checked the codes and it was showing P0301.

After reading more on Mud (a lot more) I thought I should replace the plugs. I bought the Bosch Iridium doubles and replaced Cyl #1 plug. Still no difference.

I then Ohm tested the injector and it reads 16.5 the same as Cyl #2. I have checked and rechecked all connections to Cyl #1 and everything is tight.

I thought it might be a faulty coil pack. I bought the Echlin brand as it is what was in stock locally. I swapped it out with Cyl #2 and Cyl #1 is still showing P0301.

Today I cleared the codes and drove it about 30 miles. I then poured some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank and drove about 10 miles. I re ran the codes and it is now showing P0300 and P0301.

What should I check next?

I have thought about swapping out injectors from #1 to #2, but that process seems time consuming and I should probably just buy a new injector if I do that, right?

What else is there that would cause a misfire on only the #1 Cyl?

Thanks for the help!

It seems like you've done a fair amount of troubleshooting compared to some that come in here and go " threw p0301, what do I do?" without searching. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say as I can't think of anything beyond what you have already tried. I had p0301 happen once and I replaced the coil and haven't had an issue since, but hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a major issue.

First, did you get the FSM from the FAQ at the top of the 100 section? It's a 2004, but will be very similar. In there is a diagnostics section organized by codes. It says

• Open or short in engine wire L Connector connection
  • Vacuum hose connection
  • Ignition system
  • Injector
  • Fuel pressure
  • Mass air flow meter
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor L Compression pressure
  • Valve clearance
  • Valve timing
  • PCV piping
  • ECM

But before I did the above, I'd do a compression test on #1 to ensure it's good and not a stuck valve like I had.

I wonder if in the end there will be a relation between the misfire and the recent fuel fill up. Try another round of injector cleaning?

Hey Guys thanks for the replies!

I responded to them and when I posted it disappeared. I have been in the woods hunting and have just gotten back around to replying again.

Arteryx: thanks for the help on the FSM. I do have the manual but had not read that page. I will have to take the cruiser to a Shop to have the check the compression.

Hopefully that checks out and I can start in on the rest of the list.

Sandroad: I will try another injector cleaning after this tank is run through.

Thanks again, I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Update:

After waiting a week for an opening at a recommended local import specific 1 man shop, I dropped the cruiser off last Thursday. After not hearing back on Friday I called him on Monday to hear he had not touched it. He promised to check it out on Tuesday.

I called on Tuesday evening to find that he had performed the compression test and found it at around 150 and thought it was good compression. He also tested the codes on his machine and thought it might be an injector. He then informed me that when one injector goes he replaces them all. o_O He then waffled on a bit about how it might be water and I should call the last gas station I filled up at for more intel on if they have had issues with water recently. He promised to pull the #1 injector and see if it plow tested the next day. At this point I am starting to lose confidence in this guy with his timelines and his wild swings in diagnosis.

I called him back this afternoon (Wednesday) and he has still not touched it. He has a price for a new injector at $197 + an o ring at $8. He recommends if after he confirms on Friday the injector is bad that I buy 8! I tell him thank you for his time and that I will be by in an hour to pick the Cruiser up. I offer to pay him for his time but he rightly refuses.

I bought a new injector and fuel filter for $140. After picking up the Cruiser I used the free FSM on here to remove the #1 injector and replace with the new one. I also replaced the fuel filter. It now runs perfect with no codes. WOO HOO:bounce: So happy and the repair was complete in under 2 hrs! Next time I will pay for a compression test and do my own work.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom