Mini Tractors - lets see um (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1804.JPG
I really need to get some of those too. I've already distorted (bent) the top edge of my loader bucket by wrapping chain around the middle of the bucket to pull T-posts. Thanks @AdventureToolCompany for pointing these out and demonstrating them.

Great product at a great price. Good luck!

Better a tractor than a video game! :)

So true. She graduated to driving my 80 series early on in her life but mostly in 4 low out in the sticks. It's gratifying to watch kids sharpen their skills right before your eyes.

Just purchased 40 acres in Utah. Planning on buying a used skid loader and tractor with the mini excavator to help with preparing the home area and for hauling logs. A couple of years down the road still but I knew I had to come to mud and find out what kind I need to buy!

When I was prepping the land for the cabin. My dad ran the Massey and I ran the cat. All the pylons were dug with the Massey.

WP_20160618_004.jpg
WP_20160619_001.jpg
WP_20160618_001.jpg
WP_20140712_001.jpg
WP_20140712_003.jpg

Just purchased 40 acres in Utah. Planning on buying a used skid loader and tractor with the mini excavator to help with preparing the home area and for hauling logs. A couple of years down the road still but I knew I had to come to mud and find out what kind I need to buy!

You said "hauling logs...." What kinds of logs are you moving, and on what terrain?

I ask because I've tried moving my house logs with a mini tractor. Then I bought a big, yellow machine to move them up my hill.

Someday maybe I'll buy a compact wheeled tractor (to be able to drive on snow and ice would be pretty nice), but all summer long I LOVE being able to haul 3+ yards of firewood in the bucket of my loader up and down my steep hillsides.

Love seeing the pics here guys!

Dan

PS--Ali: one of these days we'll get you guys up here. She can try driving something that's ALL mechanical, with pedals!

IMG_1963.JPG
You said "hauling logs...." What kinds of logs are you moving, and on what terrain?

I ask because I've tried moving my house logs with a mini tractor. Then I bought a big, yellow machine to move them up my hill.

Someday maybe I'll buy a compact wheeled tractor (to be able to drive on snow and ice would be pretty nice), but all summer long I LOVE being able to haul 3+ yards of firewood in the bucket of my loader up and down my steep hillsides.

Dan

PS--Ali: one of these days we'll get you guys up here. She can try driving something that's ALL mechanical, with pedals!

Since I'm clearing an area for our shop I've dropped some really big pine and spruce trees. I'm keeping them full length due to a crazy plan of building a small log cabin down in the forest. As long as I get them balanced and chained correctly and keep them low, the B26 has no problem picking them up and carrying the. Some are 30 + feet long and I move them across rock, dirt and sloped ground.

Dan

Same as what Paul mentioned above. Pines and Spruce. My plan is to build a 50x70 pole barn. Build a guest quarters inside of it while living out of my 80 series for a month or so. Once the guest quarters is built I will start building the 800ft2 house. I will be milling my own lumber from the trees I cut down. Mainly for the siding of the house. I don't know that I will be milling 2x6s...

I most likely will need an excavator to move the logs safely. I would think I can bundle 2-3 logs together and drag them with an excavator...

IMG_0043.JPG
Complementary utility vehicles at different ends of the spectrum.

View attachment 1581086

Nice 60!

We've been so busy with ATC I haven't played with our 60 in a longtime. Took it to RMNP yesterday to blow the dust off it. Really want to get the shop done to get it inside, this mountain environment is killing it.

Same as what Paul mentioned above. Pines and Spruce. My plan is to build a 50x70 pole barn. Build a guest quarters inside of it while living out of my 80 series for a month or so. Once the guest quarters is built I will start building the 800ft2 house. I will be milling my own lumber from the trees I cut down. Mainly for the siding of the house. I don't know that I will be milling 2x6s...

I most likely will need an excavator to move the logs safely. I would think I can bundle 2-3 logs together and drag them with an excavator...

Living out of your 80! Cool, you need to post that process and experience. Good luck.

568D1A4C-DA8D-41CA-B34C-F82E0CE7A7BC.jpeg
B4C8067D-3C0A-4B42-8073-094930DB3634.jpeg
690CCE98-4CB6-49A7-9647-05D052FAE2A3.jpeg
700CF814-BB6F-48FD-B1C3-EEC7715DC150.jpeg
64BB80DD-9B47-43AA-B1E0-5D6D20676726.jpeg
Living out of your 80! Cool, you need to post that process and experience. Good luck.

I will. It won’t really be that big of a deal. My son and I lived out of it for 19 days last winter. I’ll have shore power and be able to set up a “camp” inside the pole barn.

Here are some pics. No pics of the shower setup as it was cold as hell! The last pic is us trying to stay warm with space blankets. It’s was -9F that night! Haha There are more pics in my signature. My 93 has evolved since then...

if you are moving a lot of logs looks at using your 3 pt and a draft bar and a chain. You can move a impressive log size faster and safer than putting in on the bucket. we have a JD2520 and a 4066R. Other than field work the 2520 is more useful because it can get into tight spots. We used the 2520 for post hurricane clean up since it could fit between house pilings and it was very productive.

IMG_4028.JPG

2016-10-15 13.01.33.jpg

I will be milling my own lumber from the trees I cut down. Mainly for the siding of the house. I don't know that I will be milling 2x6s...

Very good. Milling lumber is simply the best!

You can bundle a few of them together, and they'll skid just fine. But you definitely need something big to skid logs of any real size, at least if you've got some slope to deal with. That's why I didn't end up with a mini tractor, because we tried with a ~25HP tractor and it couldn't even get one of my small logs up to my homesite. That's the day I decided to buy something heavy and tracked. ;)

@Godwin how does that chipper work off the PTO? What's the size of the mouth? can it chip 4" limbs?

Dan

You can bundle a few of them together, and they'll skid just fine. But you definitely need something big to skid logs of any real size, at least if you've got some slope to deal with. That's why I didn't end up with a mini tractor, because we tried with a ~25HP tractor and it couldn't even get one of my small logs up to my homesite. That's the day I decided to buy something heavy and tracked. ;)

@Godwin how does that chipper work off the PTO? What's the size of the mouth? can it chip 4" limbs?

Dan

Chipper is a Bearcat, this one ECHO Bear Cat | Products and chews up 4" limbs just fine, rated up to 5". Yeah, it's PTO driven. I'm running it on a L4701 Kubota, 47 hp.. Short vid here of it taking in an 8' sweetgum trunk .

Dan

Yeah, my buddy is an arborist and he told me to not waste my time with anything other than a full size excavator.

As was mentioned earlier I will probably buy a used one with the intention of getting rid of it when done. ;) I’ll need one for digging/grading my home site plus I plan on digging out a pond that will be fed by the springs on the property.

I’m looking forward to milling my own lumber. I have never done it and have only just begun to research it. Looks fun. Kind of funny milling my own lumber when I work for Lowe’s... :rofl:

IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1735.JPG

We're lucky up here, we have a county sort yard for disposal of all our tree waste and it's only a couple miles from the house. They also have amountain of chipped wood for free. Our biggest issue is getting rid of the trunks since the sort yard won't take them due to the rocks I need the roots. So, this winter once we have a couple of feet of snow on the ground I'll pull a permit and have a controlled burn to get rid of the trunks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom