Mike's 78FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Japanese for Bee (hachi)

I am probably going to use one for a little trailor to carry equipment/spare parts in when I go out alone like next weekend. However, I often thing about restoring it and using it. We have all of the parts, just needs some canvas work.

Got most of my last minute list done today. Got the headlight buckets and headlights in (found out the long way that the buckets that fit the fiberglass do NOT fit the metal bib :mad: ), got the turn signals mounted on the fenders and the new thermostat for the fan mounted, wired and adjusted. :clap:

Front-1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Front3.jpg

Passenger.jpg

Rear-1.jpg

Driver.jpg

Tomorrow I will be wiring up the headlights and turn signal, fixing the rear tailgate panel so it doesn't rattle and get that skid plate installed. :idea:

Last edited:
looking good Mike, cant wait to see on trail

Mike it looks great have fun buddy

Dam I hate electrical $hit! :mad: I think I hate it even more than sanding. I got the headlights, turn signals and license plate lights all wired up, hopefully temporarily fixed the tailgate issue and got the fire extinguisher put back in (may very well need that after the wiring I did today :lol: ). No new pics to show for my efforts. Didn't get as much done because my step-mother decided to show up today with her new boy friend to introduce him and say Happy Birthday to my daughter who turns 14 tomorrow. So, I had to entertain them for a little while. Not a big deal....the only thing I didn't get to was the skid plate. Maybe I will have a chance tomorrow evening......yeah, right. :grinpimp:

well sheeettt!

beer will take care of any flash over ya might have!

Give your Daughter a HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes from us on her BIG! BIG! Birthday!!!!!

As for the skid plate we all know ya are just itching to do some new gearing don`t need to use the I didn`t have time to install skid plate as an excuse & s*** !! must have hit somtin on Saturday evening LMAO!

80 hours to go

Your wheelbase is too short to be worrying about a skid plate...pssh

The 40 looks awesome. Not sure about Bumble Bee as a name.....maybe if one of those "bees" in the pictures posted by Scott ride shotgun! A couple of questions about the rig. Did you use the frame tie-ins with the roll cage? Also, who makes the rear bumper/swing away tire carrier you've got? I like your mods and am contemplating a few of my own.

Thanks for the kind words.

Well, let's see:
1st, I went with Paul's suggestion and named her Hachi (Japanese for bee) but I do like the idea of one of those "bees" riding shotgun.
2nd, I did not use the frame tie-ins but I may add them later. Mark at Metal Tech said that if the rear wells are not rusted, the plates they use are enough for the rear. My welder liked the fact that the fronts were located right above a support so not sure if I am going to add them or not. Deryl did get the tie ins for his rig from MT both front and rear.
3rd, the bumper / swing-out was on the rig when I bought it from Brian. It was a home made job made from 2X4 box steel. I had my welder move the tire to the driver's side, add the jerry can basket and use a beefy spindle for the pivot which was also swapped to the driver's side. Oh, he also moved the hitch to inside the bumper. In hindsight, I wish I would have made the jerry can basket removable and then had another basket made to fit a cooler. I may go back and have that done. If you want some close up pics of the bumper to build your own, let me know. This is a pretty simple design.

Before & After:

Rear.jpg

Rear-1.jpg
:cheers:

Last edited:
Hachi huh? I like the idea.

I named mine Midori no Akuma or "The Green Devil"....akuma for short.

Hachi! I like it. Thanks for the info about the cage and the rear bumper. Those are two mods that I will definitely be making. Just not sure when. I'llnprobably go with Manafre's rear swing away tire carrier & basket unless I find something else better. Kaymar makes a nice one, but its 2.5 times the price. Anyway, great work with the rig. I love the way it is looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom