Mike's 78FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now to tie the roll cage and front end together for a exo-cage and link it with 40's

Got the Rock Tactics bumper / Deep South Fab stinger / Metal Tech nose guard painted and re-mounted. I really like the look and feel of this one. The guys at Rock Tactics are top notch.

DSC_0008_zps38e8c366.jpg

DSC_0017_zps25ae0533.jpg

IPOR belly skid, front / rear diff skids. Front is coming off tomorrow to see if I can fix the leak. :mad:

DSC_0014_zpsdae39cde.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsebf2e00d.jpg

DSC_0012_zps51e2321d.jpg

New speakers in 6" KC light housings......

DSC_0010_zps618280f3.jpg

DSC_0011_zps3b8fb9ec.jpg

Last edited:
me like:)

Came out nice Mike looks ready for the trail :)

Why is there no mounts on the passenger side of diff skid. I see it on the drivers, but not on pass. ??? Looks great otherwise.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

On the front, the skid mounts to 2 bolts on the diff cover on the driver's side and he welded some angle iron with nuts to the u-bolt skids for my springs. The bottom of the diff skid and u-bolt skid line up perfectly. The rear mounts to four bolts on the diff cover.

Pic of the inside of the rear:

diffskid_zps8cb6a988.jpg

Last edited:
For those who are unsure of the make of this yellow truck. It is a Toyota.
This picture is of a *eep. They have nothing uncommon besides yellow paint and 4 wheels. The one posted earlier in this thread is better in many ways.

And mike. Check out this concept. I like. :). But also like yours. :):).

Dang, this was supposed to be in the LLK thread. Where they keep calling this LAND Cruiser a Heep
Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

image-645683721.jpg

image-3868836979.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, I just realized, one pic is of the front, and one is of the rear covers...... That's what kept throwing me a curve. I keep seeing it on the ujoint side, and then behind the axle, Didn't occur it was front/back, not left right shots.... :D:D:D

Thanks
Cody

So I have gotten some questions lately about the diff skids that JD made for me a while back. I took the front one off to clean it out, clean it up and give it a face lift. I also noticed that one of the bolts was missing that holds it closest to the flange of the 3rd member.
So, this is a picture of the inside of the skid. You can see the 3 holes to the right that attach at the u-bolt skids, the 2 spots on the left where it attaches to the back of the diff and the 2 holes closest to the camera where a u-bolt goes around the end of the diff and helps the skid protect the flange.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132416.433148.jpg

Next you can see under the truck where all 3 attachment points are. JD welded a piece of angle iron with holes drilled and captive nuts welded on the inside to the side of the u-bolt skid.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132513.749546.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132531.683020.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132545.683311.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132556.917299.jpg

This last pic shows what you see from the front of the truck.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410132611.899644.jpg

The rear is the same shape but attaches to 4 of the diff cover bolts and uses the same u-bolt connection at the flange end.

Hope this helps clear up these skids.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

Man that's a sweet skid Mike!

Those scars can attest to that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom