Metal Tech OPOR Sliders installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got mine installed today on my 05 LC. I positioned the u-bolts between the frame and hard lines and now the hard lines rest on the u-bolts. Any issues with this?

@TTViper i just got those sliders.
Any issue with leaving the AHC driver side connector exposed or did you cover it up with something after you put the slider in place?
thanks much!

This guide is intended to assist with the installation of the OPOR sliders from MetalTech. If you're still on the fence for this purchase, hopefully the guide/pictures will help make your decision.

This installation is on a 2006 LX470 with AHC. The install on a truck without AHC is even easier

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Time required: The first slider may take you 45 minutes. The other side will take you 10 minutes.

Tools Required: A 12mm deep socket, 1/2" ratchet, 10mm ratcheting wrench, two short jack stands (for a car), a milk crate, a blanket.

The written instructions from Metal Tech cover most of what you need to do to prepare for this installation. If your truck doesn't have AHC, you could've probably already finished the installation in the time that it will take to read this post. You don't have the AHC obstructions, so you have plenty of frame real estate to line up and mount your sliders. For those of us with AHC, Metal Tech recommends that you bend some hard lines out of the way and the shields protecting the globes. From my experience, you have to remove these shields (the pictures should help clarify this) if you want the sliders to mount in a acceptable position, mount flush to the frame, and not cause your tires (my 285/75/16) to rub lock-to-lock.

To start off, these pictures are looking at the Drivers side rear mount (where the slider foot mount will eventually rest). Both of these bolts need to be removed. The lower of the two is a guide clip for the AHC Hardline. The higher is the bolt holding on the shield covering your AHC equipment. This bolt must be removed or the feet of the sliders will not mount flush to your frame, and will not allow you to move the sliders far enough back on the truck.
These pictures are what it would look like if you didn't remove the shield (on the passenger side). The slider foot will rest on top of the bolt head, leaving space between the frame and slider. Your slider will also sit too far forward and potentially rub your tire.

Once you've removed the AHC shield and line guide, your frame should look like this
Continuing on the driver side of the vehicle, you need to route the U-Bolts provided by Metal Tech. On the inside of the frame, there are more hard lines and a bolted guide for them. Go ahead and loosen this bolt (10mm) and gently pull the lines away from the frame so you have more room to route the U-Bolt. You will not have to do this on the passenger side.

In this last picture it shows the single hard line that has been gently bent up and away from the frame. Your slider's foot is going to go between the frame and this hard line. You want to be careful with this hard line, but it will bend. Pull it far enough away where it wont rub on the slider's foot.

It's very important to NOT have anything between the U-Bolts and the frame in ANY mounting point on your vehicle.

Mounted

There are no obstructions for the front foot to mount. Route all your U-Bolts before attempting to line up the slider. Mount the sliders loosely with the 12mm hardware provided, make sure the slider is in the right location before tightening everything up. Hand tight.

My front driver side mount.

Front slider positioning.
Rear positioning

Doing this by myself i found the milk crate helpful, as well as the jack stands on each end. if you don't have these items, another pair of hands would be helpful. Once on the jack stands, the milk crate is just in the way.

The final product and my size 13 for reference.

@TTViper - thanks for the great writeup. Super-useful - really saved me a lot of time with the install!

IMG_8948.jpg

IMG_8949.jpg

IMG_8950.jpg

@TTViper i just got those sliders.
Any issue with leaving the AHC driver side connector exposed or did you cover it up with something after you put the slider in place?
thanks much!
Curious if you recovered the connection as well? Installed last night over the bolt next to the cover... obviously doesn't sit flush to the rails. Gonna go back in and remove the bolt and cover.. but the connection being exposed is a concern right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom