Builds Meet Foster -1988 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That certainly crossed my mine. There is a little on the passenger side floor board too. I am going to order some new insulation from Summit. I think it will be good.
In the meantime I bought a set of floor mats on clearance via Woot.
And this happened:
View attachment 1885235
I am quite please with the fitment. I stop drilled and trimmed the battery tray bracket on the other side ala-Dan style.

I need to yell @beno regarding new hood insulation and clips. The old stuff is really brittle and coming apart.

We had house guests all weekend so nothing else happened to him. I am dying to have a full relatively warm weekend to redo the tcase. It was 6°F here this morning.

I did manage to trade my old broken down pos John Deere mower for a lightly used PT809.

Did you have to dig sealer out around the cowl bolts?

I wonder if a little something should go back around the base of the stud? :hmm:

I don't think so. It was only on the forward side along the actual seem. I think they just used so much it lapped up over the front edge of the bolt. I just scraped enough off to get my socket in there.
There was far more on the right side than the left.

I thought the same thing. I forgot to reach behind there when I had the battery out to see if I could feel the end of the bolt. I was careful to remove only enough to get the bolt out. I stayed away from the actual seam.

I had a little time to get into it this afternoon. Seems someone may have spilled something on the carpet in the back or else the glue between the insulation and the carpet has turned to an oily mess. The insulation is saturated and need to be replaces with something.
View attachment 1882908 View attachment 1882909 View attachment 1882911

The excess 90 weight that was splashed about on the trip home is running off the truck. If it was summer it would be self cleansing.
This weekend we have house guests so I will have to ignore it once again.
I ordered some Boom Matt from Amazon. Almost half the price than it would have been form Advance. It should work pretty well to replace that disgusting oil soaked junk.

I ordered some Boom Matt from Amazon. Almost half the price than it would have been form Advance. It should work pretty well to replace that disgusting oil soaked junk.
Nothing replaces oil-soaked Junk.

-Junk's Mom

Let me know how that Boom Mat works out, Chris. I need something for the 60 project.

Let me know how that Boom Mat works out, Chris. I need something for the 60 project.
Will do. I just got the insulation to replace the nasty stuff that was under the carpet. I did not buy any of the stick on stuff that glues to the metal panels.

What Ig ot was the Under Carpet Lite. It appears to be the right thickness and a good weight for beneath the carpet. Boom Matt makes a special spray to anchor it to either the floor or carpet but I am going to try it without.
This came from Amazon for just over $50 for 48x70 inches.
I need to clean and degrease the cargo area and I will lay this in.
20190125_101549.jpg
20190125_101529.jpg

I have a remedial trailer wiring question:
I need to add a trailer pigtail to the truck. I have seen what others have done for 12v trailers but that is not necessary for me.
Is there an accy plug somewhere on the old 70 series that takes a Toyota accessory trailer wiring kit or do I need to tap into the loom?

:princess: scrubbed the nasty sticky gunk out of the cargo bay and I got the Boom Mat in. It is good dense stuff. If I was to do it again I would not have used my old stuff as a template and simply cut holes for the seat latch and bumpers. If I had used the truck for a template I would have covered far more. Live and learn.
20190127_122749.jpg
20190127_131140.jpg
20190127_132252.jpg
20190127_122953.jpg

I layed the carpet out in the driveway and went over it with the Bissel carpet cleaner a few times. It was disgusting. It still is a little grease feeling but not a saturated mess. I have no idea what was spilled back there. It did not really small like anything. Mayb corn oil. I bet the guy who had it in STL was hauling waste oul to try to make diesel or something.
20190127_133356.jpg

The cargo mat came in a set on clearance from Woot. Five pieces for $39. The front ones are pretty deep but all needed a bit of trimming.

Last edited:
And I have no idea what that long notch was for. Nothing in BJ73. :meh:

Next thing (and far more important) is to rebuild the tcase so I can get it back on the road.
Then I will give him a good cleaning inside and out the pull the FRP top to get at the rust between the cowl and windshield frame. I am getting considerable water intrusion somewhere behind the dash. It fills the drivers side footwell when it rains. I would really like to figure that out. After that is tackling the rust at the quarter panels. I may have the bottom 1/4 Rhino lined in white after I fix the quarters. Then fix the dent in the driver's door, a trailer pig tail, sliders and straighten the front bumper.

I also adjusted the hood latch and stops when I put in the hydraulic lifts. It closes so much better now.

Last edited:
I was looking for the belts for my truck at Napa. Foster is a 7/1988 build.
The A/C belt is 99343-01195 / Napa cross reference is NBH 2522474 (My AC does not work and is not hooked up and has no belt intalled.)
Crankshaft pulley is 99322-01030 / Napa cross reference is NBH 259412HD
The vane pump is 99343-11510. I have not been able to find a cross reference for this one. Anyone have an idea? I have found a reference to some old NAPA numbers that are no good as well as 15A1510 to 15A1595 but I have been unable to find these.

Last edited:
I was looking for the belts for my truck at Napa. Foster is a 7/1988 build.
The A/C belt is 99343-01195 / Napa cross reference is NBH 2522474 (My AC does not work and is not hooked up and has no belt intalled.)
Crankshaft pulley is 99322-01030 / Napa cross reference is NBH 259412HD
The vane pump is 99343-11510. I have not been able to find a cross reference for this one. Anyone have an idea?

All of these are available from your local Toyota dealer. :meh: Not sure why folks make this harder than it has to be.

All of these are available from your local Toyota dealer. :meh: Not sure why folks make this harder than it has to be.
You say that but my Appalacian Toyota dealer has proven to be a bit un-cooperative. I am going to try another one but the guys at my nearest dealer were either unable or, more likely, unwilling to order the hood insulation so I am looking at other alternatives. Plus the NAPA ones list about $10 each cheaper than partsouq.

So you are providing numbers that are correct and they are not procuring them for you?

I’d talk to the Parts Manager and inquire as to why he is unwilling to order parts that are readily available in the North American system.

And the freight would cost more than the part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom