Meddling with an AHC lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dubyahard

SILVER Star
Threads
This weekend I was finally able to tackle my AHC lift using @DirtDawg 's documented method here:
2-2.5" AHC Lift Using King Coils & Shock Spacers

Great instructions and a little assistance from him made the install pretty easy, done by myself, over 4ish hours on Friday afternoon/evening.

I think pre-lift, I was at 19.5 in the front and 20.5 in the rear. Not 100% on this as I forgot to write it down. I was also getting 9-10 marks on the AHC gradation test. In the front, I had about 9.8 mpa and the rear was 8.8 mpa. Also, the PO replaced all four AHC shocks. I cut about 1/2" off the front height sensors and used some scrap steel to raise the rear nearly 3 inches.

One issue I did encounter that I will cover later was when I was popping off the upper BJ, I wasn't prepared for what would happen. The lower swing arm and hub dropped and put a lot of strain on the brake line/wheel speed sensor/ABS wiring. I propped it up and disconnected the brackets to allow more slack. I only did that on the DS as I was ready for the PS.

My adjustments went the following course:
After work mentioned above:
upload_2018-6-25_8-23-19.png

The rear end was comically high, like 25+ inches.
I turned t-bar 3 times, lengthened the front sensor 1/4", and adjusted the rear sensor down maybe 1" then this:
upload_2018-6-25_8-24-35.png

Two more turns:
upload_2018-6-25_8-25-13.png

Two more turns:
upload_2018-6-25_8-25-28.png

Two more turns: (how many is too many?)
upload_2018-6-25_8-25-52.png

There's more but I'm at my pic limit.

Last edited:
Lengthen front sensors 3/8":
upload_2018-6-25_8-27-29.png

Lower rear sensor 1/2":
upload_2018-6-25_8-27-57.png

Cycle lo to high twice:
upload_2018-6-25_8-28-24.png

Happy enough now, but was a lot of adjustments. Getting 11-12 marks on full cycle. I think the front is only 20.5 maybe 21 and the rear is now 22. Doesn't seem to meet my expectations exactly.

Last edited:
But wait. Now for the codes.
At first start after install, I got
upload_2018-6-25_8-40-24.png

After I went through all the adjustments, I cleared the codes and only two remained:
upload_2018-6-25_8-40-34.png

I did some search on the C0205 code and found Kurt's comments on the same combination of codes here:
Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser (Deathstar)

So I guess I need to start with a Front LH speed sensor. A new one on partsouq.com is $131.18. Has anyone purchased a used sensor? I think it's only broken because I let the lower control arm/hub fall. Not sure if it could be repaired either.

View attachment 1730484

What was your expectation?
Rear didn't seem quite as lifted as I would have thought. And I wasn't expecting to break anything...

Rear didn't seem quite as lifted as I would have thought. And I wasn't expecting to break anything...
Good documentation!

Your heights are completely dependent on your sensor adjustments. So you want more lift? Adjust more and then accommodate your t-bars accordingly. Going from really high pressures to lifted height, you should expect quite a bit of t-bar adjustment.

Good documentation!

Your heights are completely dependent on your sensor adjustments. So you want more lift? Adjust more and then accommodate your t-bars accordingly. Going from really high pressures to lifted height, you should expect quite a bit of t-bar adjustment.
Is there a max number of turns or are there too many variables for determining this? Seems like age, weight, mileage would all play a role in how many. I just need the 60 mm (?) of droop right?

Is there a max number of turns or are there too many variables for determining this? Seems like age, weight, mileage would all play a role in how many. I just need the 60 mm (?) of droop right?
You just don’t want to get too far on the adjuster bolt. Too close to the end and it can bend. Re-index if needed. Yes just make sure you have adequate droop.

You are on the right path. But if you want 30mm more lift at the rear, add a 30mm spring spacer. Adjust rear AHC sensor accordingly. I believe those King springs are mainly designed for added load capacity and retaining the stock height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom