Master cylinder paired with isuzu slave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ40 with a 1980 4bd1 engine. I'm not getting enough action out of the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is from the NPR truck the engine came out of. The master is not the original, but is the Toyota master for my year Landcruiser (1969).

I bought this vehicle with the swap already done. I changed the clutch plate and it seems the only reason the slave cylinder had enough action before is because the old clutch plate was worn completely smooth.

I think my best option is to get a master cylinder that better matches my slave cylinder. It appears there was a different master installed at some point. You can see on the firewall other mounting holes and an outline of what looks like a master cylinder (picture below).

Does anyone know the volume of the stock toyota master cylinder?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a larger master cylinder I can replace it with?

Can anyone tell from the picture below what master cylinder may have been installed here previouslyndsey, based on the picture below.

20170219_163805.jpg

The way that's opened up and 4 holes... they had a clutch booster installed

They didn't have the old one in a box?

Should have 4 studs on one end and two on the other ... looks like a brake booster

Everyone usually gets a big box of crap from the PO that they don't know what the stuff is :)

Should have 4 studs on one end and two on the other ... looks like a brake booster

Everyone usually gets a big box of crap from the PO that they don't know what the stuff is :)
I haven't heard of clutch boosters. I did get 4 big boxes of stuff. I haven't taken inventory of everything yet. I don't recall seeing anything about that size and shape. I'll have to rummage through it all.

I just looked up clutch boosters. That is definitely what it looks like was there.

A clutch booster wouldn't necessarily get more stroke though, would it? Would it possibly have been a booster and a bigger master. I don't know if the stock master has any more travel left to give.

The booster and clutch master were made to move that slave what ever the size it moved the slave the proper amount...

I know @Downey has great knowledge on slave and master combos ... I recall someplace a discussion with v8's and what gave more throw? Which clutch master that is ... it may not have had Jim in the conversation... but... he may know

Found this thread ... not the one I was thinking ... but... info is the same

Problem is a very firm clutch pedal ... I figure this problem would be eradicated with a clutch booster lol

But... here is the thread about using an early brake master for the clutch... it has a 1" bore

Link: Anyone Used Early Brake Master Cylinder Used as Clutch Master?

The booster and clutch master were made to move that slave what ever the size it moved the slave the proper amount...

I know @Downey has great knowledge on slave and master combos ... I recall someplace a discussion with v8's and what gave more throw? Which clutch master that is ... it may not have had Jim in the conversation... but... he may know
I read the thread, good stuff. I do have my stock '69 M/C since I replaced it with a new one that has front and rear lines.

I guess that will be easy enough to throw that on there and give it a try. I hope it works. My fiance is getting sick of assisting bleeding lines after replacing brake lines and dealing with the clutch.

I think my problem was the the slave cylinder (which was from the NPR truck) bore was too big. I got the stock slave and brake master combined now. I'm working on lining up the slave attachment. The starter on the 4bd1 is in the way and makes it very difficult. I should be done in the next couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom