Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Trial by fire" is a saying I would hope no else would have to endure. Lost my father to a fire when I was 15. Later in life I came home from an Archery tournament to find everything I own was gone to another fire (Thank goodness I took the 40 to the tournament) I hope you recover better than I have.

Trial by fire indeed. This incident has been a litmus test for my family. For my part, I stepped up to the plate, and proved once again that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I wish I could say the same for the others.

I will start shopping for a 20 foot cargo container with a side door shortly. Anyone seen anything good like that locally?

Both the fire department and the insurance company have declared the cause undetermined. The insurance company believes it was electrical in origin, which I agree with. But I don't agree with their point of origin.

I have video tape evidence of a raging dumpster fire that happened the day before in the alley behind our building. The neighbors cleaned out a machine shop, tossing god knows what into this dumpster they parked right up against our building.

The flames from the fire were ten feet taller than our building and raged for half an hour before the fire department showed up. And they were directly under where the power lines drop to our building. IOW, the wiring took a lot of heat.

The dumpster fire did not lite our building, but I think it caused the wiring to weaken.

The fire department did not contact us about checking out our building. I showed up the next day to investigate the condition of the alley based on a neighbor having reported the dumpster fire to me. At that point it was a fait accompli.

It was then he told me had video as well.

As long as the insurance co pays my mother, I guess it's not up to me to chase after the neighbor's contractors

Last edited:
Trial by fire indeed. This incident has been a litmus test for my family. For my part, I stepped up to the plate, and proved once again that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I wish I could say the same for the others.

I will start shopping for a 20 foot cargo container with a side door shortly. Anyone seen anything good like that locally?

I'll bet a broker for such things can help you out. There's at least one large brokerage that does that pretty cheap (I was quoted $2300 delivered for a 20' WWT conex--and would put a door in it for a nominal fee).

When I get to a place where I can dig some of that out I'll see if I can send you their info. I think they had a long beach office too.

Dan

Well,Tina and I are currently in Wilmington shopping for containers. The clientele at the local dining establishments is...interesting!

Meeting with a structural engineer tomorrow afternoon to evaluate the rafters.

We were quoted $1600+tax+delivery. $2000 all in for a used 20'.

Finished pouring the concrete for the new addition this morning:
image.jpeg

Leaving town for a memorial service up north. Be back Monday.

For future reference, I turn off my answering machine when I leave town.

what's your status? how's things going?
what do you need?

I stopped over to speak to Mark at home the other day, he's a real trooper I tell you.
Once again Mark, I am 2 blocks down the road from you and have a lot of time on my hands and a Toyota pickup that ain't afraid to do some work, just ask and I am there.

what's your status? how's things going?
what do you need?

Well, things are settling down a bit. I finished with the fourth, and hopefully last rolloff container with all the moldy drywall two weeks ago. I've met with two engineers who are starting to draw up blueprints for repairing/ rebuilding the damage to the roofs, assessing what it will take for ADA requirements to get a building permit, as well as rebuilding most of the electrical for the building, some of which was quite outdated.

In the meantime, I have been told it would be good if I moved out, which I was planning to do anyways. I started pouring concrete in my backyard a few weeks ago to set a second cargo container on (Ruftoys sleeps in the 1st one.)
image.jpeg

Got the cargo container this morning. Logistically, I cannot get it dropped in the backyard because of low hanging power lines.
image.jpeg

This morning's objective was to get it 60 feet across the yard and alongside the first container, (where Ruftoys is parked) . The plan: move it like the first one...on 2" pipes.
image.jpeg

After an hour of staging, prying, swearing and pulling, we're half way there...give or take.
image.jpeg

By 11:30 Day 1 mission accomplished. Time to head to work and...do more work.
image.jpeg

We're still unloading shelves and dismantling pallet racks. Hopefully my son and I will start moving things home next week.

What do I need?

I need help to find new homes for a few of the bulkier items. I've posted several of them for sale,but could use some extra eyes and ears to find buyers.
1. My vintage camping trailer. This has been garage kept for the last 25 years, and I could REALLY use that space right now!
2. Full size Conferr rack
3. Small block Chevy engine
4. 2 sets of Fj60 lift springs

Keep on keeping on!

Land Cruiser owners figure out solutions, and rise up!

Another half hour of grunting, prying (and a little swearing) when I got home from work Friday and I got it more or less where I want it.
image.jpeg

Now I'm cutting down the cedar trees behind it so I can move it closer to the property line.
image.jpeg

Please be careful up there with the chain saw! I know firsthand that using a chain saw with shorts is a bad idea!

hell, I was surprised Mark had shoes on instead of tevas :) I would've gladly helped with the engineering if I was licensed in CA. Glad to hear that you're making progress @65swb45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom