Maricopa County Emission Testing (Required Equipment for pre-OBD2) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you may want to consider an old-school shop that knows what they are doing - send me a PM if you need a contact

I will need to smog my 40 again this summer, and since it barely passed last summer . . .
Are you saying you ran it through testing unsmoged and now have to smog it? I only ask because I have 60 that I dragged down to AZ 3 years ago from WA and prior to moving, I removed all of the smog stuff. I have not registered it here in AZ as I have been doing other things to it. I’ve considered doing an LS swap, but not really sure yet. I kept all of the smog equipment I removed, just need to figure out what direction to go. I DD a 91’ HDJ81 and have successfully received a “Director Certificate” 3 years in a row now because the Scottsdale station is not capable of testing it due to being awd they say. I wonder how long I’ll be able slide by on that?
Matt

When I lived in the Valley my 77 Toyota pickup wouldn't pass emissions with the smog pump belt hooked up, but would pass if it didn't have the belt on. I would pass the tailpipe test, but fail on the visual check, then put the belt back on and go back & pass the visual.

The truck ran really quappy with the smog pump belt on, so I would immediately take it off after passing the emissions check and leave it off until the next year.

Are you saying you ran it through testing unsmoged and now have to smog it? I only ask because I have 60 that I dragged down to AZ 3 years ago from WA and prior to moving, I removed all of the smog stuff. I have not registered it here in AZ as I have been doing other things to it. I’ve considered doing an LS swap, but not really sure yet. I kept all of the smog equipment I removed, just need to figure out what direction to go. I DD a 91’ HDJ81 and have successfully received a “Director Certificate” 3 years in a row now because the Scottsdale station is not capable of testing it due to being awd they say. I wonder how long I’ll be able slide by on that?
Matt
my 40 is registered, and thus has to pass Maricopa county emissions testing

it is de-smogged, and has passed many times since I got it in 2004, but it has also failed sometimes - and since last time it first failed and then passed after help from an old-school shop, I expect it to fail upon first try this year, too

end of July is when I need to have it tested (which is what I meant when I posted above "I will need to smog my 40 again this summer")

Last edited:
When I lived in the Valley my 77 Toyota pickup wouldn't pass emissions with the smog pump belt hooked up, but would pass if it didn't have the belt on. I would pass the tailpipe test, but fail on the visual check, then put the belt back on and go back & pass the visual.

The truck ran really quappy with the smog pump belt on, so I would immediately take it off after passing the emissions check and leave it off until the next year.
as a '72, my 40 is no longer subject to visual inspection - when they approach the hood, I tell them "it's too old for visual inspection, but you are welcome to open the hood if you are curious"

there are fewer and fewer testers who can drive manual vehicles, particularly one with long clutch pedal travel and long shifter throw

my 40 is registered, and thus has to pass Maricopa country emissions testing

it is de-smogged, and has passed many times since I got it in 2004, but it has also failed sometimes - and since last time it first failed and then passed after help from an old-school shop, I expect it to fail upon first try this year, too

end of July is when I need to have it tested (which is what I meant when I posted above "I will need to smog my 40 again this summer")
That’s interesting stuff. Makes me wonder if I should risk failing the visual inspection and see if it passes or just get the classic vehicle insurance. My other option is to just put everything back on, though I would need to source an air rail and smog pump sine the old ones are toast.
I presume that if you fail the visual, but pass the tail pipe, it’s a failure all around and no registration?
Matt

That’s interesting stuff. Makes me wonder if I should risk failing the visual inspection and see if it passes or just get the classic vehicle insurance. My other option is to just put everything back on, though I would need to source an air rail and smog pump sine the old ones are toast.
I presume that if you fail the visual, but pass the tail pipe, it’s a failure all around and no registration?
Matt
how old is your rig ?

the information as to which years require visual inspection is out there on the ADOT website

not that they necessarily know what they really need to look for . . . but you can always just put the smog stuff into place, nobody says it has to be functionally connected, you could just make it look as if . . .

the old-school shop I take my 40 to has the equipment to test whether it would pass emissions, they just don't have enough employees to run the truck through the testing station themselves (just one or two crusty old guys and an occasional helper) - but every time I picked it up from them, ran it warm and then drove through the test, it passed

(did I mention, at very reasonable prices for their services, no less :D)

Last edited:
how old is your rig ?

the information as to which years require visual inspection is out there on the ADOT website

not that they necessarily know what they really need to look for . . . but you can always just put the smog stuff into place, nobody says it has to be functionally connected, you could just make it look as if . . .

the old-school shop I take my 40 to has the equipment to test whether it would pass emissions, they just don't have enough employees to run the truck through the testing station themselves (just one or two crusty old guys and an occasional helper) - but every time I picked it up from them, ran it warm and then drove through the test, it passed

(did I mention, at very reasonable prices for their services, no less :D)
It’s an 84’. It’s funny you mention putting the equipment in there to “stage” them in an inoperable fashion, I thought of that too only because I agree the station people probably wouldn’t know what to look for. I base this opinion mostly on the confusion and pure panic of the station employees every time I take my RHD diesel in to get tested.
where is your shop you speak of? I see you’re in Fountain Hills, I’m in Rio Verde not far away from you.

the shop is called "Auto Tech" and is located at 260 S. Alma School in Mesa (between Main and Broadway)

for non-emissions-related 40 wrenching, I take our vehicles to Richard's shop (used to be Kevin's) at 663 W 2nd Avenue, Suite #18 (off of Country Club, also between Main and Broadway) - best contact is to send him a private message here on MUD @richardlillard1

the shop is called "Auto Tech" and is located at 260 S. Alma School in Mesa (between Main and Broadway)

for non-emissions-related 40 wrenching, I take our vehicles to Richard's shop (used to be Kevin's) at 663 W 2nd Avenue, Suite #18 (off of Country Club, also between Main and Broadway) - best contact is to send him a private message here on MUD @richardlillard1
Awesome, thank you!

Interesting, I have a 77 FJ 40, wanted have classic insurance as to not smog. Spoke with DMV. All vehicles after 1967 must pass emissions unless classic car status (website link on DMV page) FJ40 not on list. Called Hagerty , they looked up AZ law and confirmed must pass smog check to register in maricopa county if after 1967. No getting around it. Spent 6500$ on motor rebuild, about another 3000$ or more on smog parts since my FJ was desmogged prior to me buying it. Still working on project, hopefully will be on road in 6 months

All vehicles after 1967 must pass emissions unless classic car status (website link on DMV page) FJ40 not on list. Called Hagerty , they looked up AZ law and confirmed must pass smog check to register in maricopa county if after 1967.

Unless things have changed that actually includes 1967. My 9/67 production is a 68 model but might have tried to call it a 67 if that would haveade it exempt. Haven't emissions a FJ40 in over twenty years and had no idea it was not on a list to qualify as a classic. Seems strange a 60 series does. Thought I read people were doing that with non market 70 series. @Honger

If you fail the DEQ test, you won’t be able to get the “classic” exemption from the DMV. I spoke to 2 different DMV folks about this, same answer. You need to go through the process (buy classic insurance first, get classic registration second) if you want to go that route before your emissions test is required, but they won't let you do that after you fail without jumping through all the hoops to get it to pass.

That wasn't how it went for me in mid-2019. I tested my Troopy twice... failed both times though it was better the second time... and I just went to classic insurance. Registered as a classic no issue.

I do wish I could have have gotten it to pass. And maybe could if I sank a few hundred bucks into fixing the vapor system.

That wasn't how it went for me in mid-2019. I tested my Troopy twice... failed both times though it was better the second time... and I just went to classic insurance. Registered as a classic no issue.

I do wish I could have have gotten it to pass. And maybe could if I sank a few hundred bucks into fixing the vapor system.
Interesting. When you failed, was your registration still current or expired? And this was a Maricopa county test?

Interesting. When you failed, was your registration still current or expired? And this was a Maricopa county test?
This was an imported car from the Middle East... hadn't registered yet. Couldn't register without emissions... until I just decided to go Classic on the insurance.

This was an imported car from the Middle East... hadn't registered yet. Couldn't register without emissions... until I just decided to go Classic on the insurance.

So your saying AZ allowed an FZJ75 to go classic registration? The Icon is based on the FJ40 yet AZ doesn't recognize it as a classic. Not saying the FZJ75 shouldn't be on the list just ridiculous the FJ40 isn't. How are you handling.your 76 FJ40? This is a another Middle East non emissions cruiser that supposedly will not qualify as a classic in AZ.

So your saying AZ allowed an FZJ75 to go classic registration? The Icon is based on the FJ40 yet AZ doesn't recognize it as a classic. Not saying the FZJ75 shouldn't be on the list just ridiculous the FJ40 isn't. How are you handling.your 76 FJ40? This is a another Middle East non emissions cruiser that supposedly will not qualify as a classic in AZ.
AZ could care less what the truck/car is as far as I could tell. All I had to do was show them the classic policy from State Farm... and they proceeded without emissions.

I didn't even try to emissions test my 77 FJ40. Again, I got a classic insurance policy and they proceeded without emissions.

AZ could care less what the truck/car is as far as I could tell. All I had to do was show them the classic policy from State Farm... and they proceeded without emissions.

I didn't even try to emissions test my 77 FJ40. Again, I got a classic insurance policy and they proceeded without emissions.

Memory is going thought yours was a 76.
I was going by easier post that stated the FJ40 didn't meet the requirements to use classic cat program to avoid emissions. Since it's not on the list much pass an emissions test to get registered.

Interesting, I have a 77 FJ 40, wanted have classic insurance as to not smog. Spoke with DMV. All vehicles after 1967 must pass emissions unless classic car status (website link on DMV page) FJ40 not on list. Called Hagerty , they looked up AZ law and confirmed must pass smog check to register in maricopa county if after 1967. No getting around it. Spent 6500$ on motor rebuild, about another 3000$ or more on smog parts since my FJ was desmogged prior to me buying it. Still working on project, hopefully will be on road in 6 months

Last time I registered a 40 series newer than 1967 in Maricopa County was my 65 FJ45LP-B . Everything newer it's been over twenty years. I have also never keep a registered FJ40 in Maricopa County in the same amount of time.

my 40 was de-smogged when I got it, and it passed emissions as such in the 18 years I have owned it (when the carb is tuned and the engine heated up properly) - they wouldn't even know what smogged or de-smogged looks like, as long as it passes the emissions tests (it's not like they have the shop manuals with drawings at the emissions or inspection stations)

good luck with your truck :cheers:

my 40 was de-smogged when I got it, and it passed emissions as such in the 18 years I have owned it (when the carb is tuned and the engine heated up properly) - they wouldn't even know what smogged or de-smogged looks like, as long as it passes the emissions tests (it's not like they have the shop manuals with drawings at the emissions or inspection stations)

good luck with your truck :cheers:
On that note ... Im thinking of putting a sniper EFI on my 82 pickup I would think it would run cleaner and still pass smog (?) does anyone know. Or is this a sniper question?

On that note ... Im thinking of putting a sniper EFI on my 82 pickup I would think it would run cleaner and still pass smog (?) does anyone know. Or is this a sniper question?
Good question - are you still running a cat & vapor canister? If so I would guess you'd probably pass. I'm going to have a similar question/test/answer when I go to smog my 83 pickup with a 99 3RZ swap. My guess is it will pass with no issue, but I'm planning for most (if not all) of the 1999 emissions components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom