Builds Mak92-4Rnr's 1988 4Runner Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, it's been awhile since i've updated this. A lot has changed, already. I'll go ahead and update this thread with my most recent "mod"

The intake elbow on my 4Runner cracked and 2nd hand autopart stores no longer sell this piece. Toyota still manufacturers it but I didn't feel like spending $115 + tax. So with spare parts I had lying around the garage, i spruced this up:

No noticeable horsepower difference, but it should have considerable more airflow than the factory ribbed version being an mandrel bent piece of aluminum.

Haven't updated this in awhile. Guess my photobucket account went down too? I've been kinda distracted by other Toyota's lately. The 4Runner is garaged now and I have a hoist system I'm designing to actually take the top off the 4Runner. I also added two Toyota's to the family. Here's a picture of the Supercharged Xrunner I picked up. She's cranking 348/360 to the wheels currently and actually a ton of fun to drive:

IMG_1162.JPG

Hey gents,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been involved on the forums but I’m slowly getting back into it. For anyone that’s curious, I do still have the 1st gen 4Runner. She’s made her way into the mid 200k mileage range and even though she’s garaged regularly, the age is showing.

4Runner update:
Here’s a list of everything it needs right now.

1) Rear window motor
2) Leaf spring bushings
3) Shackle bushings
4) Front axle rebuild/regrease/reseal
5) All exterior armor needs to be repainted.
6) Front & rear driveshaft work
7) Rear axle inspected (odd, unknown vibration/noise. Could be the driveshaft.)
8) Hard tune-up. Mostly because it wont pass smog.
9) Clutch is slipping

There’s other things that are due for maintenance here soon but for now, that list is the biggest issue.
Tacoma update:

I do also still have the Tacoma. She’s parked next to the 4Runner and stays in the garage on rainy days. No major updates to post about other than it needs a clutch because it slips under boost.

Overall update:
Over the years, I’ve bought and sold a bunch of cars. I had a 1986 Ford F-350 Turbo 6.9 Diesel w/ a 4 speed manual. It was a crew cab long bed truck that I planned on restoring and turning into a bad ass daily driver but I went to fill her up at the gas station one day and one guy offered me a sum of money I couldn’t refuse since it was triple the amount I paid for it.

After that I had a 1989 Toyota Cressida MX83. It was an awesome car because it had such low mileage (116k) but I posted it on craigslist randomly to see if I could sell it for double than I paid for it and the day after I posted it on craigslist, some kid drove up from Monterey, bought it and drove it home.
Overall? I’m back to the original two Toyotas and I think that’s the way it’s going to stay for a while.

Side note:
At the moment, I’m recouping some funds that I used to save my beloved dog. At 1.5 years old, he contracted Parvo even though he’s vaccinated. Probably one of the hardest weeks of my life since I nearly lost him because vet #1 misdiagnosed him for having something lodged in his G.I track but I pulled him from that vet to drop him off at vet #2 who diagnosed him properly and was able to nurse him back to the crazy dog he was prior. As mentioned, crazy week and a punch to my wallet ($8,200.00).

While nursing the dog back to 110%, I’ve been cleaning the garage, replacing some airlines, cleaning some tools and getting everything prepped to take on some projects. I already have a clutch for the Tacoma and 4Runner, as well as a few other parts lying around that need to be installed. I also have about 10-12 sets of AISIN manual hubs that are lying around that need to be restored and sold off to fund some of the projects I have in mind.

Anyway, just a small update for anyone that’s been wondering where the hell I’ve been.

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

NOUI1281.JPG

Haven't updated this in awhile. Guess my photobucket account went down too? I've been kinda distracted by other Toyota's lately. The 4Runner is garaged now and I have a hoist system I'm designing to actually take the top off the 4Runner. I also added two Toyota's to the family. Here's a picture of the Supercharged Xrunner I picked up. She's cranking 348/360 to the wheels currently and actually a ton of fun to drive:

View attachment 1622739
Interesting, I to just bought an speedway blue X-runner and I own an 88 4Runner. Did we just become best friends? My x is pretty stock and currently doing a cab swap due to horrible repair work by previous owner, but that’s another story.

Interesting, I to just bought an speedway blue X-runner and I own an 88 4Runner. Did we just become best friends? My x is pretty stock and currently doing a cab swap due to horrible repair work by previous owner, but that’s another story.

Haha! They're an awesome truck, for what it really is. Is your's supercharged?

Not supercharged, it will be my new daily. Minor mods, magma flow exhaust with JFR y-pipe, accumulator delete, catchcan rebuilt trans. I have a thread in Tacomaworld.com RBX-Runner

Hey gents,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been involved on the forums but I’m slowly getting back into it. For anyone that’s curious, I do still have the 1st gen 4Runner. She’s made her way into the mid 200k mileage range and even though she’s garaged regularly, the age is showing.

4Runner update:
Here’s a list of everything it needs right now.

1) Rear window motor
2) Leaf spring bushings
3) Shackle bushings
4) Front axle rebuild/regrease/reseal
5) All exterior armor needs to be repainted.
6) Front & rear driveshaft work
7) Rear axle inspected (odd, unknown vibration/noise. Could be the driveshaft.)
8) Hard tune-up. Mostly because it wont pass smog.
9) Clutch is slipping

There’s other things that are due for maintenance here soon but for now, that list is the biggest issue.
Tacoma update:

I do also still have the Tacoma. She’s parked next to the 4Runner and stays in the garage on rainy days. No major updates to post about other than it needs a clutch because it slips under boost.

Overall update:
Over the years, I’ve bought and sold a bunch of cars. I had a 1986 Ford F-350 Turbo 6.9 Diesel w/ a 4 speed manual. It was a crew cab long bed truck that I planned on restoring and turning into a bad ass daily driver but I went to fill her up at the gas station one day and one guy offered me a sum of money I couldn’t refuse since it was triple the amount I paid for it.

After that I had a 1989 Toyota Cressida MX83. It was an awesome car because it had such low mileage (116k) but I posted it on craigslist randomly to see if I could sell it for double than I paid for it and the day after I posted it on craigslist, some kid drove up from Monterey, bought it and drove it home.
Overall? I’m back to the original two Toyotas and I think that’s the way it’s going to stay for a while.

Side note:
At the moment, I’m recouping some funds that I used to save my beloved dog. At 1.5 years old, he contracted Parvo even though he’s vaccinated. Probably one of the hardest weeks of my life since I nearly lost him because vet #1 misdiagnosed him for having something lodged in his G.I track but I pulled him from that vet to drop him off at vet #2 who diagnosed him properly and was able to nurse him back to the crazy dog he was prior. As mentioned, crazy week and a punch to my wallet ($8,200.00).

While nursing the dog back to 110%, I’ve been cleaning the garage, replacing some airlines, cleaning some tools and getting everything prepped to take on some projects. I already have a clutch for the Tacoma and 4Runner, as well as a few other parts lying around that need to be installed. I also have about 10-12 sets of AISIN manual hubs that are lying around that need to be restored and sold off to fund some of the projects I have in mind.

Anyway, just a small update for anyone that’s been wondering where the hell I’ve been.

View attachment 2132360

View attachment 2132363

View attachment 2132364

What did you sell the F-350 for? Just curious as the values on those trucks are always rising. I actually just converted my family's old 1985 gas F-250 to a 1986 diesel F-350 a few months back. Been loving driving it.

Not supercharged, it will be my new daily. Minor mods, magma flow exhaust with JFR y-pipe, accumulator delete, catchcan rebuilt trans. I have a thread in Tacomaworld.com RBX-Runner

Damn dude, you've ripped into that thing. I think i've seen some of your posts on XRU or even the facebook Xrunner Owners page.

Mine sits in the garage 90% of the time lol

What did you sell the F-350 for? Just curious as the values on those trucks are always rising. I actually just converted my family's old 1985 gas F-250 to a 1986 diesel F-350 a few months back. Been loving driving it.

I picked it up for $1500 and sold it for $4,500. It needed a lot of work to get it right but it was a great platform. I planned a cummins/flatbed swap but i couldn't resist making 3k off it in 1-2 months.

Damn dude, you've ripped into that thing. I think i've seen some of your posts on XRU or even the facebook Xrunner Owners page.

Mine sits in the garage 90% of the time lol

I picked it up for $1500 and sold it for $4,500. It needed a lot of work to get it right but it was a great platform. I planned a cummins/flatbed swap but i couldn't resist making 3k off it in 1-2 months.

Nice. I would've done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I've really liked the 6.9 and the 4 speed, but a ZF5 and a turbo is coming soon. You can see the build in my sig below:

Nice. I would've done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I've really liked the 6.9 and the 4 speed, but a ZF5 and a turbo is coming soon. You can see the build in my sig below:

This truck had a 1st gen banks turbo kit on it, too. Like i said, it was a pretty well equipped rig and it was an F-350 so it had the SFA.

I WANTED to keep it, but the money just made too much sense.

Small update:

Dug the clutch kit i ordered years ago out of the garage and inspected it. Everything looks good, still in the original packaging from MC and no surface rust from being on a shelf. I ordered up a 120 tooth flywheel from Rockauto, so i'll be getting that sometime this week or early next. I went with a new flywheel because its $100.00 to resurface the flywheel that's in there or $30.00 for a new one from LUK, so i went that route.

I made a late night visit to harbor freight and picked up a new 3/8 50 ft air hose since my other one was starting to crack. After getting that ready with new fittings, i felt froggy and decided to jump on doing an oil change on the 4Runner. Nothing out of the norm to report. She burns a little bit of oil at 260k miles but 4+ quarts came out still. While waiting for the oil to drain, i blew out the unoiled K&N filter that i have in there and buttoned it all back up.

My biggest concern right now is a drive train vibration that i'm getting while I'm in gear. If i'm in neutral and applying the brakes up to a stop, no vibration, no sounds, no issues. But if i'm in gear and i downshift/decel while approaching a stop without applying the brakes, the whole truck violently shakes. I'm pretty sure i've got some drive shaft issues I need to square away.

11-19-19 - Update - Rear Window Woes

Pulled the truck into the garage last night so i can work in some light. I ripped into the tailgate to gain access to the rear window/tailgate guts. At this point, I found a loose connector off the motor itself. Plugged that sucker back in and now the motor has power again but now the rear window makes a "thud" noise when I hit the switch to go up or down. Motor is definitely getting power but now i feel as if something is obstructing the up or down movement. At this point, I need a second pair of hands to hit either switch on the center console or on the tailgate that way i can track down which area is bound up.

Good on you for spending the money on your dog. Lots of people would not go that far, but I have, and would again. You can always make the money back, but best friends are harder to come by!

Good on you for spending the money on your dog. Lots of people would not go that far, but I have, and would again. You can always make the money back, but best friends are harder to come by!

I appreciate the kind words! Yeah, I live on my own and I just couldn't stand to lose him. At this point, he's made a full recovery but i'm still extremely sour about the 1st veterinary's diagnosis. I basically paid $3800 for nothing.

I’d be having a chat with the first vet and be asking him to refund at least part of your money. It’s just the descent thing to do!

11-26-19 - Update - More Rear Window Diagnostic

Previously, I pulled the plates/covers off the tailgate to gain access to the regulator and motor. Last night, I taped the window up and pulled the motor. Once the motor was pulled, I was able to test it's function and it's definitely got power to it. It activates on the exterior and interior switches without any hiccup. Hell, it's got enough juice to actually "jump" when its not bolted to anything. I inspected the gears/teeth on the window motor and nothing looked out of the ordinary, damaged or rusted, for that matter.

Once I confirmed that the motor was in working condition, I grabbed the window glass and began to move it up and down manually and I discovered 1-2 chipped teeth on the window regulator where the motor mounts:

nGCyaRc.jpg

After discovering this, I was at work stoppage. I lowered the window down and got the tailgate open since this is the only way to remove the regulator and replace it.

Now begins the search for a complete tailgate or a regulator by itself. I wanna slap in a new motor while i'm in here and regrease everything once i find what i need.

n6hqj0v.jpg

I’d be having a chat with the first vet and be asking him to refund at least part of your money. It’s just the descent thing to do!

Already have. Spoke directly to the owner and he said he'd like to "help with the bill" and offered me $400.00 for my troubles. I told him to keep his money and that i'd get back to him. I mailed my demand letter for small claims the other day.

$400 is slightly more than 10% of your bill. If we were talking about a human they would be offering 10x the bill to keeps malpractice suit away. I’m lucky to have a couple of great vets in my area. They are all about helping the animals, and not so much about overcharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom