Builds Mak92-4Rnr's 1988 4Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice, Im digging the "Night watch" with it's green glow, retro cool.

I've got a NW LTD 29 and a 25 of which I need to install in my 80 and one in my hilux project, they are cool old radio's.

Yeah, I love this CB radio. the only thing I don't like about it, is that when I swap to use the PA, it still acts as the CB, but comes through the PA speaker. as in. anyone who talks, comes through the PA speaker, which kinda sucks.

Took a quick trip to Dillon's beach and Bodega bay for 93yotaSR5's birthday.

Always tradition to get Chipotle before any trip:

Just getting there:

Shot of my interior at night ( climate control lights are getting a little tired, might be time to replace them with LEDs ):

Next morning:

Shot of camp and the area:

All in all, not a bad trip. 270ish miles. No wheeling, just driving around most of the time.

Those pics came out great!!! Can't wait to go again!

Nice man, I like it over there. Did you do any crabbing?

Nope didn't do any crabbing. just mostly driving around, enjoyed some fish n chips, went hiking on the beach, grabbed some taffy, and a few things from Tides then back to sacramento

Those pics came out great!!! Can't wait to go again!

haha hell yeah. little cold the first night but no biggie! was bad ass waking up right on the coast.

Any possibility of info or more pix of the rear bumper/tire carrier on that black pickup?

Sure! its my brother's 98 Tacoma. Its a CBI rear plated tire carrier with every possible option ( folding table, hi lift mount, shovel mount, table light, double jerry can carrier and a tire carrier. )

Sure! its my brother's 98 Tacoma. Its a CBI rear plated tire carrier with every possible option ( folding table, hi lift mount, shovel mount, table light, double jerry can carrier and a tire carrier. )

Def' liked the fold out table option. Think I might try and incorporate that into my bumper....

It's been awhile since I've updated this.

As many already know. my truck blew a headgasket traveling down I99 near elk grove about 2-3 months ago. I wasn't too excited to do the headgasket myself and lacked the desire to do it. I supplied the parts ( OEM gaskets and head studs ) while also replaced a few things ( knock sensor, timing belt, water pump ) and had a shop do it while i drove my Mustang. But anywho, I've had the truck back now for about a month and its running better than ever! Here's a few things I've done with/to the truck since I've had her back:
I recently installed lift kits on a friend's FS Bronco and a 2011 Tacoma, and they wanted to break it in it a little, so with a new top end on the 4Runner, we made a quick day trip to folsom lake. with the water level low, it makes a good place for some wheeling, but while we were out there, we were asked to not climb around on the rocks and such since everything is protected. It made for some good photo opportunities until the Ranger asked politely for us to get down.

Group shot:

Did a little 1 night camping trip to get out of town for 24 hours. No wheeling, but a beautiful spot near the creek.

After my headgasket blew in this truck, I decided I wanted to keep a closer eye on things. The temperature gauge has been getting extremely tired lately. Right when I start my truck up in the morning the gauge just goes to half instantly, and after a few seconds it drops to cold, and then after 3 seconds goes back to half again. So rather than deal with that, I decided to just put my own gauge in. Ordered the pod, 3 gauges ( oil pressure, volts and water temperature ) and slapped them in. I went with volts because my truck is originally an automatic.

Anyway, Ordered the gauge pod gray, but it was more of a silver color so I made a trip to home depot for the closest match. its a glossy gray, but its the closest I could get. I have no complaints, you can barely tell the difference inside the truck.

Pre paint:

After paint w/ gauges installed:

interior panel pulled next to new panel with gauges:

Drilled & tapped 1/8 sender into the upper radiator hose neck and wrapped the threads with Teflon tape:

installed the modified neck w/ sender:

gauges wired up and installed. This is before I modified the brightness on the gauge:

This is after the brightness has been modified:

Here's the pod installed:

picture of the whole interior and how the gauges face me:

Here's a quick video of how the gauges work. They're wired into my headlight switch. the analog needle works as intended, but the gauges don't light up unless the running lights are on. The oil pressure gauge is currently not hooked up because I still need to get a T fitting to mate the stock oil pressure sender and add the new one. So yes, it flashes letting me know the gauge isn't working correctly.

All in all, its definitely a great setup, definitely a must for ANY 3vz owner. The gauge pod was an exact copy of the stock pillar interior trim piece. The bottom two gauges are extremely easy to see, but the top one ( where I mounted my volt gauge ) I cant really see the digital number on the gauge, but I can read the needle no problem. But then again, its volts... who cares. lol

Hey man, great looking 4Runner! I recognized your username because I believe we talked a couple years ago on yotatech when we both had 2nd gen 4Runners (?). I had to ditch mine too (blew up the 3.0 finally), and wound up in a 100 series, but I sure would like to get a mini truck again at some point. I really like the gauge pods, great job with that!

EDIT: I forgot the main point of this post... I'm also running the Guard Dog MT's, but in a smaller size obviously, on the 100 series. Other than the hum (doesn't bother me) I'm loving these tires, much more than my last set which were KM2's. So far they've pleased me in mud, rocks, snow, ice and of course on road. I haven't aired them down too much, but I plan to now that the weather's nice and I can enjoy some trails. What are your feelings on the Treadwrights in a larger size? Any issues yet?

Last edited:
Hey there,

Yeah, I think I remember talking awhile back. I have no complaints of the retreaded military ( 37x12.50r16.5 ) other than its a really tall but skinny tire. I wish I had something along the lines of a 35x13.5r15 or maybe even a 37 with some more width. But they're not bad. I've literally put about 12k miles on these tires and they still look new. Only complaint I really have is that I cant air them down. military sidewalls do not flex. so even with zero PSi in them, they're still stiff

Finally got around to digging into my rear window yesterday. Popped the panel out, and found no relay? I guess the previous owner removed it and just didn't reinstall it. I found one in my box of spare parts. popped it open, checked everything, slapped it in and it worked flawlessly other than the rear windshield wiper giving me a little headache. Once I got it to seat on the top perfectly. everything works.

http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Ma...ner/Rear Window/IMG_5623_zpsf940ec3a.mp4.html

Hey there,

Yeah, I think I remember talking awhile back. I have no complaints of the retreaded military ( 37x12.50r16.5 ) other than its a really tall but skinny tire. I wish I had something along the lines of a 35x13.5r15 or maybe even a 37 with some more width. But they're not bad. I've literally put about 12k miles on these tires and they still look new. Only complaint I really have is that I cant air them down. military sidewalls do not flex. so even with zero PSi in them, they're still stiff

Interesting about the military side walls. Mine seem to flex really well when aired down a bit so it must just be the larger tire. I can see how with the not airing down thing you'd want a wider tire, but I must say I've always liked the tall skinnies and they look great on your truck.

Interesting about the military side walls. Mine seem to flex really well when aired down a bit so it must just be the larger tire. I can see how with the not airing down thing you'd want a wider tire, but I must say I've always liked the tall skinnies and they look great on your truck.

I feel like the truck would be a lot more stable on a 10" wide rim. I borrowed 93yotaSR5's 345s off his 80 when I first bought the truck. and I must say, that setup looked amazing on the truck. Here's a picture of it.

Nice truck! I miss having a first gen Runner.. I had to much fun in my '86..

IMG_5414_zps0169502f.jpg

How much did the a pillar gauge set cost and where did you find the pod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom