Builds Mak92-4Rnr's 1988 4Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice truck! I miss having a first gen Runner.. I had to much fun in my '86..

IMG_5414_zps0169502f.jpg

How much did the a pillar gauge set cost and where did you find the pod?

Hey man, Sorry it took me so long to reply. Here's the website I got the pod from:
http://www.gaugepods.com/toyota.html

Don't pay the extra to get the gray. just get black. its more of a silver color than gray. I painted mine to match from a rustoleum can from home depot.

Couple updates: Added a winch. required some cutting. but I got it in there.

Winch installed:

Finally got around to digging into my rear window yesterday. Popped the panel out, and found no relay? I guess the previous owner removed it and just didn't reinstall it. I found one in my box of spare parts. popped it open, checked everything, slapped it in and it worked flawlessly other than the rear windshield wiper giving me a little headache. Once I got it to seat on the top perfectly. everything works.

http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Ma...ner/Rear Window/IMG_5623_zpsf940ec3a.mp4.html

Did a tune up on the 4Runner:
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belts and Trail-gear Silicone Hoses.

Also slapped on a steel hawse so the winch can be used. ( trail gear doesn't recommend a roller hawse on their bumper because it hangs low. )

Here's some pictures from my trip. We went to Gold lake 4x4 recreation area. This is the snake lake trail:

^^^ those were my two favorite pictures of the trip.
But here's some pictures of the body damage:

Finally got all of my gauges working correctly. It took me a bit to get them all setup because I couldn't figure out what size the threads going into my block were. ( they're 1/8 BSPT ) So ordered a 1/8 bspt male to 1/8 NPT adapter. with a 1/8 npt TEE with a male, female and one female BSPT for the stock oil pressure sender. put it all together and it worked. no leaks, and both oil pressure gauges work flawlessly.

http://vid850.photobucket.com/album...es/1988 4Runner/3 Gauge Pod/1_zps2b03c3f0.mp4

Ordered a new MC 1200lb clutch. ( damn they're a pain to get ahold of nowadays. )

The power steering pump has been giving me a little whine. So I decided to drain the fluid and what I found was kinda misleading...

Yay for power steering fluid in a pump that uses ATF... Anywho, swapped it to ATF. no leaks, no whine, no problems.

good thread, i love the rig. nice Roush too haha Ive got a modded 03 Mach in the garage that shares mod money with the 4runner lol

When did you get your clutch? up to now a kit for my FJ60 is still on back order or out of stock i just might go and get me some Centerforce if they (Marlin) don't get some by the end of the month.BTW sweet rig man.

good thread, i love the rig. nice Roush too haha Ive got a modded 03 Mach in the garage that shares mod money with the 4runner lol

thank you sir! yeah the Roush stays cooped up in the garage. hardly gets driven these days. I've considered selling her, garaging the 4Runner and picking up a nice F150 or tundra to DD. but we'll see.

When did you get your clutch? up to now a kit for my FJ60 is still on back order or out of stock i just might go and get me some Centerforce if they (Marlin) don't get some by the end of the month.BTW sweet rig man.

Call them. that's the only way. their site hasn't been updated.

welp. sold my 37s. ordered new 35s km2s. going to be focused on lowering the truck down to about 25" of frame clearance. down from 29" just the tires alone will get me closer to that goal. and with my new springs and working the front springs. itll be very doable!

Here's the springs. The non arched set is from a 2013 TRD Tacoma. Was thinking of pulling the bushings out of it and using them in my leaf pack so I don't have the polyurethane squeak. and my brother is going to be using the overload from it.

Here's how the truck sits currently until Friday or Monday. depending on when the wheels come in.

Lowering my truck down is going to require me to relocate the steering stabilizer and get a different oil pan from a 2wd 3vz ( rear sump )

Here's a picture of the steering stabilizer issue. if I pulled a leaf spring in the front, which I plan to do. it would basically bottom out on the oil pan over every obstacle. currently, theres about 2-3" from the pan, which still sucks. So I'm going to fab up some new brackets, cut the ones off my axle and put them on the passenger frame rail and route the stabilizer to my steering arm, not the drag link.

Top part of the steering stabilizer w/ a dent in it.

bottom part of the oil pan with a mark on it.

All in all, this should make this truck a helluva lot more fun to drive/wheel. ill keep everybody posted. I'm swapping the clutch out this weekend, hopefully.

since the truck is up on jackstands till I get my wheels/tires. decided to restore and rebuild my manual hubs.:

Here's the before. they're currently sitting in alcohol in an empty paint can. should be done by Saturday, completely painted and reinstalled.

Perfect Fall/Winter project man,where did you get the leaf springs?

I can officially drive the truck now. For some reason, when I installed my hubs back on they were clicking, almost like they weren't disengaging from the hub correctly. after pulling them, tearing them down and putting them back together I was about ready to just give up. worked on them from 8:30pm to about 11:30 pm last night and after thoroughly inspecting everything. The damn spring on the paw/gear wasn't wrapped around the groove of the gear correctly, not allowing for the hub to disconnect completely, thus making a loud clicking noise past 30 mph.

anywho, got it working. drove the truck to work today. cruises at 80 mph with no shakes ( wonderful going from unbalanced tires to balanced tires. )

now I just need to address my smoking issue. on start up, it clouds the court with a bluish tinted smoke. oil pressure remains perfect and the oil level is fine. so its got a tiny oil leak internally somewhere.

Sounds like valve stem seals.

Sounds like valve stem seals.

exactly what I'm thinking. Luckily, its all under warranty. my oil pressure is PERFECT ( love my aftermarket gauges ) and it basically smokes on start up and when its cold. after it hot, I might get a small puff of smoke if I rev it higher than usual, but other than that. operates and runs like a brand new truck

One sure way to tell if the valve stem seals are leaking is to run the engine at a steep upward angle. This will cause oil to puddle at the back of the head over the #4 valves, and if they are leaking it will get sucked in and you will get lots of smoke, especially if you rev the engine then suddenly let off the gas so the vacuum will be very high for a second or 2.

One sure way to tell if the valve stem seals are leaking is to run the engine at a steep upward angle. This will cause oil to puddle at the back of the head over the #4 valves, and if they are leaking it will get sucked in and you will get lots of smoke, especially if you rev the engine then suddenly let off the gas so the vacuum will be very high for a second or 2.

Already did it. Its leaking on the driver side. when I take a sharp right turn and cause the body to roll, it smokes heavily when im on the gas. doesn't do it the other direction. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom