M416 Simple Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They don't make the kind of Yakima mount that I initially used. It was for factory racks. They redesigned it and the new ones don't clip to the sides strong enough. We've tried everything and the angle iron is the best method. Solid.

The awning is a game changer...I use a full set of tapered walls....love em'.

I've got one wall. It's great in the wind and when Eno camping or to block smoke.

Simple build it was.....the bling awning mounts made me go where I didn't want to go but I'm here and the only downside is that it's a lot of stuff to take off if I just want my trailer to haul mulch.

Looks like I need a second 416.....

IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5906.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG

If you were going to do it again would you just let Alpha create an integrated solution for the awning? I'm not a fan of the erector-set looking arms that hold the awning.

Having the awning free standing when stowed put too much stress on the tub. Especially mine that has been cut.

I like how it gets it out of the way. Hanging on the side is just asking to get smoked back there but I dunno.

$300 for the base rack if anyone wants one.

If you were going to do it again would you just let Alpha create an integrated solution for the awning? I'm not a fan of the erector-set looking arms that hold the awning.

Looking back on it, yes for sure. I am not a fan of the look on my particular trailer either to be honest. I really like the function. I may rethink them.

I am glad to get the awning off the truck. Makes me more likely to take the 60 on trips and the 4Runner too. I really like the rack though.

I have been against them due to keeping the COG low but with the types of trails I do, its not a big deal to have weight up.

This build won't end-up simple. You'll go all-in...probably with a high-rise mount for your awning so that you can pull the 416 with all of your Cruisers (which will likely include a 40 and a 55 by the time this build finishes).

Told ya.

What base rack is that? Someone mentioned "Alpha" in a previous post but not sure if that was in reference to the rack. I'm debating on building a lid or a rack and I really like that rack. Seems to give good clearance above the tub.

There is a local place here that will make the rack. It’s angle iron on the tub and Two hoops for $300. I had the add some things to mine and it was $400 all said and done. They use Fastnal for shipping and you could get one. Cheapest I’ve seen. Alpha Specialties in Pearl MS ask for Jeremy in Parts.

As for this versus lid I like this way better. You can get your gear in and out via the open side without unloading the trailer. Lid systems heavy enough to hold a tent and have a strut system are heavy. And cumbersome and you can’t use the hinge if the tent is open.

It’s funny the timing on this bump.

I recently put a new motor and fuel injection in my 60 and it’s about to become my primary local Overland vehicle.

Because if this I bought a hard shell RTT

AutoHome Columbia RTT

The trailer is still in play but only to haul gear. The Columbus won’t go back there.

So I’m back to the simple build idea. With the rack and the awning I just could not easily use the trailer for hauling mulch and bikes and things I love it for.

Plus not having the tent on there im able to move it to outdoor storage and free up space in my shop.
89328F45-E6C7-47A8-9B67-9128F776D587.jpeg

Thanks, I don't think I could describe what I'm looking for any better than that rack. I too like to versatility of the open trailer. Just started my build. Bought it about a month ago and it's now in pieces in the garage. Finished the frame now I'm working on the tub. My other decision is whether to get the military replica tires or radials.

Thanks again!

M416 Trailer.jpg

Just read all of this - awesome stuff. Cool to watch the simple --> not-so-simple --> simple metamorphosis..... :)

Nice pictures (rockmidgetphotography), really liked the ones from Canada. I sit on the couch too much, need to get out more.

Just read all of this - awesome stuff. Cool to watch the simple --> not-so-simple --> simple metamorphosis..... :)

Nice pictures (rockmidgetphotography), really liked the ones from Canada. I sit on the couch too much, need to get out more.

Thank you sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom