LX570 wheel well "adjustments" for 35s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now if we can only convince you to like big meats. You're already all setup for it! :steer:
When I get over the hill a bit more on this set, and have imported the 17” Steelies. I fund updates with moon lighting work, so I need about 15 hours to cover rims and tires.

I’m considering 295/65r20s - the STT Pro comes in at 35.4 tall and 11.7 wide - 8.5 rim approved. I am sticking with stock rims (clear the BBK) so that size might be perfect.

@JadeMonkey is showing us the way with his fitment. The 295/65r20s are ever so incrementally larger and should be doable!

Alright I convinced myself. STT Pro 295/65r20 ordered. I’ll be documenting what it takes to fit. I’ll be pulling the shock and doing a full bump. If it ain’t flesh and bone, it’s getting cut.

Edit - Fit is clearance lock to lock at bump.

Alright I convinced myself. STT Pro 295/65r20 ordered. I’ll be documenting what it takes to fit. I’ll be pulling the shock and doing a full bump. If it ain’t flesh and bone, it’s getting cut.

Edit - Fit is clearance lock to lock at bump.

you'll be fine, and Shouldn't need to pull the shock.

just move your front liner, break off the step bracket, grind down the pinch weld, and heat gun the area above the pinch.

For those of you trucking around with monster tires... How's the brakes feel?

you'll be fine, and Shouldn't need to pull the shock.

just move your front liner, break off the step bracket, grind down the pinch weld, and heat gun the area above the pinch.

Agreed w/ @radman, though I wouldn't say you'll definitely need to grind the pinch weld or cut the body mounts. I'd do everything else first and then see where you're at. Can't wait to see how it looks @nwfl4runner!

Reactions: HGB

No issues here so far and I had 2 emergency braking events in the past 4 days thanks to other drivers not paying attention. I don't care for the soft, long pedal feel on the LX570 but when you mash the pedal, big tires or not, it stops pretty darn well.

Brakes are a little squishy. No worse than the 100 series with 33s though. You will go through brake pads though. I'm about to put in my second set in about 15k miles. I don't recall how thick they were when I purchased. I went through those. Installed some Akebono premiums and now about to replace those.

I'd like to find some pads with a little more bite. I talked with some folks at LCDC who had done pads, rotors, stainless brake hoses and the whole lot and didn't find much improvement. I know a different master cylinder could reduce the pedal travel but that's (a lot) farther than I want to go.

EDIT: Sorry if I took this thread on a tangent. Redirecting the brake conversation here with hopes of also getting the LC guys inputs

Good input. Upgraded pads is definitely a requirement for big tires. 33s feel great with upgraded pads. I suspect it will come up a bit short with 35s which is why I'm asking as towing with 14k lbs of combined rig makes brakes a wee bit important. I don't mind the increased service requirements as that's the trade for these things.

Part of the reason for my recent re-gear is also to address braking, but with the engine. There are situations with 8%+ grade where second gear and 33s, that there is not enough engine braking. Riding the brakes in these situations creates a potentially dangerous situation. As much as I want to try 36s, I think 35s is where I will take things because of towing.

Braking capacity is where the 16+ cruisers, with their upsized brakes and 8-speed trannies shine.

There is the wildcard of a Tundra brake upgrade for pre-2016 cruisers. I may do this depending on how braking performance works out. This is the best thread I could find so I know it's possible, but wish there was a more concise guide.

STOP, collaborate and listen.....Tundra brake swap | IH8MUD Forum

Last edited:
It looks big. 275/60r20 is what's on there now.

61835582809__86392171-E613-4FAD-A1F0-6C1263119C08-L.jpg

Last edited:
:popcorn:

Eagerly waiting to see how that size fits on @nwfl4runner ‘s ride, I am itching to follow suit on my LX.

Slapped it on the rear for kicks. Looks big and goofy!

61853148493__A165E79C-84C2-4F01-8DE7-969A83D25040-D.jpg
138B9BBF-F936-4FDA-8E3A-65593DC1EB5F.jpeg

On the front, going to need spacers to clear the Total Chaos arms. They’ll be here next week, then it’s time to chop the front!

Nice visual. Looks about right to me. What's dem goofy looking Michelin's you got on da front? :hillbilly:

What suspension mods do you have on the front? Total Chaos and? No spacer currently? Yeah, you'll need/want those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom