LX470 for Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! My name is Randin, AKA PadaD, and I'm new 'round these parts! We (me + wife + 2YO) are moving to Costa Rica in about 7 weeks and so we'll be ditching the Prius C in favor of a capable 4x4. On our last trip down to Costa Rica it was the rainy season, we'd rented a stock 4x4 Mitsu Outlander that performed OK in most situations considering the *edit* all-season *end edit* tires and surprisingly low ride height, but was hardly up to the task of the more pothole-laden areas, it struggled to keep cool on mountainous trails, and did very poorly in mud - we got stuck and had to come back the next day with shovels and boards and dig ourselves out. My mom mentioned she was in the market to replace her '00 LX470 so it seemed like a no brainer that we buy the LX off her and ship it down to CR as our primary rig. But I want to make sure it's the right decision before I pull the trigger, so I'm all ears to everyone's thoughts & experiences!

My needs: needs to be capable in a variety of environments, heavy rains & rocks in mountain terrain, extremely large and plentiful potholes, lots of dirt roads, deep mud, some water & possibly sand. Bonus points for interior cargo space, exterior cargo space, towing capacity, reparability, cost efficiency. We do lots of exploring, but less on the camping front so I'm not interested in tent or shower systems yet.
About the LX470: 2000, bone stock, stored in a garage, meticulously maintained at the dealership, 220k miles mostly freeway, no off-roading history. The car has lived in VA it's whole life, so it's experienced "real" winters, but lived a pretty sheltered life otherwise. It seems the CD/Tape deck doesn't work and that 1 side mirror won't auto fold-out. Hopefully those aren't indicative of larger electrical items.

A few important questions before we can commit to the Lexus though, here's where I'm hoping the community can weigh in:
  1. They do not have Lexuses... (Lexi?) in Costa Rica, but they do have a lot of Land Cruisers (& Prados if that makes a difference?). Knowing that at least 1 major piece is Lexus specific (height control system), do you think it's realistic to repair/support the LX in a Toyota specific environment, especially under fairly rigorous conditions? I've replaced things like head gaskets, rotors, and radiators before, but would likely heavily rely on 3rd party mechanics more than your super technical enthusiast to get started
    1. I believe that if you go pretty far into suspension mods, the Lexus specific pieces get replaced, right?
  2. Performance & heat - From my limited experience and research the key obstacles in Costa Rica are mud, heat, and maintenance. If I take care of my rig, these factors should be conquerable, right? Open to any input on your experiences in Costa Rica / Central America / whatever
  3. Mod cost vs benefit - Fuel is expensive, mods should be functional but I also want to be able to get myself out of basically any situation. Being stuck is a terrible feeling. It would be nice to get started for less than $5000 in mods, but it sounds like it's $4000 just for bumpers so I'm not exactly holding my breath. I'm sure I'm misprioritizing or missing something all together, remember I'm a noob
    1. Necessary - Shovel, Traction Boards, Mud Tires... 33" probably?
    2. Nice to haves - Roof Rack, 2.5"? Lift, Sliders, Under carriage protective spray stuff?
    3. Maybe overkill - bumpers, lights, winch, tailgate storage conversion
    4. Probably overkill - snorkel, the rear bumper/gate with gas cans and ladders, lockers? (that's a thing for this vehicle, right? lol)
  4. Car cost - Import Tax is 80% of the car's Costa Rican value, and it looks like this car will be valued at appx 11,000 USD meaning a tax of around $9000. From what I've seen from the classifieds, this type of vehicle would easily sell for $15,000+, provided it's maintainable in Costa Rica (e.g., #1 above). That being said, if anyone things it's possible to get an equivalent rig for equivalent costs, I'm all ears!

Ok, that's probably enough to digest so I'll stop typing. Looking forward to your thoughts and inputs!

Last edited:
Hello all! My name is Randin, AKA PadaD, and I'm new 'round these parts! We (me + wife + 2YO) are moving to Costa Rica in about 7 weeks and so we'll be ditching the Prius C in favor of a capable 4x4. On our last trip down to Costa Rica it was the rainy season, we'd rented a stock 4x4 Mitsu Outlander that performed OK in most situations considering the A/T tires and surprisingly low ride height, but was hardly up to the task of the more pothole-laden areas, it struggled to keep cool on mountainous trails, and did very poorly in mud - we got stuck and had to come back the next day with shovels and boards and dig ourselves out. My mom mentioned she was in the market to replace her '00 LX470 so it seemed like a no brainer that we buy the LX off her and ship it down to CR as our primary rig. But I want to make sure it's the right decision before I pull the trigger, so I'm all ears to everyone's thoughts & experiences!

My needs: needs to be capable in a variety of environments, heavy rains & rocks in mountain terrain, extremely large and plentiful potholes, lots of dirt roads, deep mud, some water & possibly sand. Bonus points for interior cargo space, exterior cargo space, towing capacity, reparability, cost efficiency. We do lots of exploring, but less on the camping front so I'm not interested in tent or shower systems yet.
About the LX470: 2000, bone stock, stored in a garage, meticulously maintained at the dealership, 220k miles mostly freeway, no off-roading history. The car has lived in VA it's whole life, so it's experienced "real" winters, but lived a pretty sheltered life otherwise. It seems the CD/Tape deck doesn't work and that 1 side mirror won't auto fold-out. Hopefully those aren't indicative of larger electrical items.

A few important questions before we can commit to the Lexus though, here's where I'm hoping the community can weigh in:
  1. They do not have Lexuses... (Lexi?) in Costa Rica, but they do have a lot of Land Cruisers (& Prados if that makes a difference?). Knowing that at least 1 major piece is Lexus specific (height control system), do you think it's realistic to repair/support the LX in a Toyota specific environment, especially under fairly rigorous conditions? I've replaced things like head gaskets, rotors, and radiators before, but would likely heavily rely on 3rd party mechanics more than your super technical enthusiast to get started
    1. I believe that if you go pretty far into suspension mods, the Lexus specific pieces get replaced, right?
  2. Performance & heat - From my limited experience and research the key obstacles in Costa Rica are mud, heat, and maintenance. If I take care of my rig, these factors should be conquerable, right? Open to any input on your experiences in Costa Rica / Central America / whatever
  3. Mod cost vs benefit - Fuel is expensive, mods should be functional but I also want to be able to get myself out of basically any situation. Being stuck is a terrible feeling. It would be nice to get started for less than $5000 in mods, but it sounds like it's $4000 just for bumpers so I'm not exactly holding my breath. I'm sure I'm misprioritizing or missing something all together, remember I'm a noob
    1. Necessary - Shovel, Traction Boards, Mud Tires... 33" probably?
    2. Nice to haves - Roof Rack, 2.5"? Lift, Sliders, Under carriage protective spray stuff?
    3. Maybe overkill - bumpers, lights, winch, tailgate storage conversion
    4. Probably overkill - snorkel, the rear bumper/gate with gas cans and ladders, lockers? (that's a thing for this vehicle, right? lol)
  4. Car cost - Import Tax is 80% of the car's Costa Rican value, and it looks like this car will be valued at appx 11,000 USD meaning a tax of around $9000. From what I've seen from the classifieds, this type of vehicle would easily sell for $15,000+, provided it's maintainable in Costa Rica (e.g., #1 above). That being said, if anyone things it's possible to get an equivalent rig for equivalent costs, I'm all ears!

Ok, that's probably enough to digest so I'll stop typing. Looking forward to your thoughts and inputs!
I would switch out the AHC for a regular (lifted) suspension but otherwise, there are a lot of good Toyota mechanics there. Prados are basically the Lexus GX (120 Series LC). AT tires will get you almost everywhere in the country. Snorkel is not overkill, lots of water crossings and dusty roads. And yes, the import tax is steep but it will hold it's value extremely well in CR. You could sell it for $25,000+ easy down there. Land Cruisers are always in high demand, especially ones modded for off roading. Feel free to ask me any questions! We lived in Playa Flamingo for two years before returning to the States due to the Covid lockdown and will be going back soon.

I would switch out the AHC for a regular (lifted) suspension
x2. If no Lexus down there, then you’ll be waiting to import AHC parts from outside the country. Ditch it for normal suspension before you go.

Awesome, thanks for the input so far.
I live in Southern CA currently so I'm just used to eye-rolling snorkels on dirt-free daily drivers. Glad to hear they serve their purpose in different environments!

AHC is great, if you can fix it yourself and wait for parts. If not, dump it.

I'd look at a bunch of maintenance before you go, AT tires, and potentially adding supplemental fuel.

Ok this is happening! Wife gave me the green light to start the build. I'll be working on it in the norhern VA area from mid-march to mid-april. I'm going through the build pages for ideas and maintenance pages to get a sense of what i'm getting myself into. Sounds like a lot of parts are 4-6wk shipping time so i think it's probably best to start ordering now and deal with maintenance parts when i get there

No need to import anything down there. Get one of the rare breed diesels that are prominent everywhere else in the world; there are so many options (I.e, fortuner, hilux, prado, Nissan patrol). I am a diehard for the LC as the ultimate vehicle you can own to survive most conditions, but I also care for value. If you can get a Diesel LC locally, it’s probably a better value than importing from the US. I am not afraid of the servicing aspect of it (the only complex item different from the rest of the world spec is AHC and if you are not afraid of deleting it “if” it breaks, you’ll be fine).

I'm actually really looking forward for the chance to have such a capable vehicle in such a challenging environment. The fact that it's going to be cheaper to import and outfit this rig than it would be to buy an equivalent is icing on the cake

No need to import anything down there. Get one of the rare breed diesels that are prominent everywhere else in the world; there are so many options (I.e, fortuner, hilux, prado, Nissan patrol). I am a diehard for the LC as the ultimate vehicle you can own to survive most conditions, but I also care for value. If you can get a Diesel LC locally, it’s probably a better value than importing from the US. I am not afraid of the servicing aspect of it (the only complex item different from the rest of the world spec is AHC and if you are not afraid of deleting it “if” it breaks, you’ll be fine).

While there are some awesome Diesel LC's down there, they rarely come up for sale and when they do they are either in terrible shape or extremely expensive. You'll see a lot of Prados but finding one that is in good shape for under $30,000 is not easy. That being said, found this bad boy which is perfect for a family of three for under $20,000

I'd lose the AHC if they don't have anyone to service it down there for sure.

Bumpers are probably overkill, maybe a front isn't though so you can add a winch...or you could always do a hidden winch on the stock bumper.

Sounds like you could get away with good traction boards, snorkel, sliders, and you could even go front bumper and winch and be under or near $4k depending on what you get. Maybe spend the slider money on a set of 5 good A/T tires instead. 285/75 which is near 33" will fit with no mods.

I've never been to CR (but have been to Trinidad and Suriname), but I'm imagining dark jungle roads at night? The stock LX headlights SUCK maybe just spend a few hundred on a decent combo lightbar?

like previously said, you would be better off ditching the AHC for some regular LC suspension, other than that do the maintenance and it will serve you and your families needs great.

I'm in southern MD if you need a hand wrenching or have any questions while your getting it ready, give me a shout id be more than happy to help. :beer:

We don't have a specific place picked out yet, but our favorite place so far has been Uvita for being quaint with mountains, jungle mud, and the beach within 10 mins of each other, but we are flexible. We might hop around for a bit before trying to really set down roots. Reliable internet & some form of day care are our 2 biggest necessities

We don't have a specific place picked out yet, but our favorite place so far has been Uvita for being quaint with mountains, jungle mud, and the beach within 10 mins of each other, but we are flexible. We might hop around for a bit before trying to really set down roots. Reliable internet & some form of day care are our 2 biggest necessities

Check out Playa Flamingo/Potrero/Surfside. Great expat community and lots of young families.

Good looking out on the Prado find... it's actually kind of tempting. That's a good example of our situation. A $20k+ rig i know nothing about vs $9k in fees+5K-10k upgrades for a rig that i know has been babied it's whole life.
While there are some awesome Diesel LC's down there, they rarely come up for sale and when they do they are either in terrible shape or extremely expensive. You'll see a lot of Prados but finding one that is in good shape for under $30,000 is not easy. That being said, found this bad boy which is perfect for a family of three for under $20,000

Ah excellent, The schedule is looking like we'll be up in VA by Mid-March & try to get the rig ready by mid-April. I will almost definitely take you up on this offer!
From what I've read & seen on youtube, just adding in an aftermarket lift & shocks is essentially replacing the AHC system, right? Maintenance aside, i think this + tires would be the first task
like previously said, you would be better off ditching the AHC for some regular LC suspension, other than that do the maintenance and it will serve you and your families needs great.

I'm in southern MD if you need a hand wrenching or have any questions while your getting it ready, give me a shout id be more than happy to help. :beer:

in a situation like that, I would be extra careful to figure out exactly the legalities and consequences of the importation process. Like will the truck be stuck there, can it be resold, would it take a fee to reexport, will there be odd taxes and fees, bribes, possibilities of being in limbo and unable to use it, issues with tech inspections, insurance for an unusual vehicle, etc etc? Seems like a lot of countries down south can be quagmires for this sort of things and especially for expats. I'd make sure to contact some experienced importers, expats or locals down there, and find out all very carefully first. In the modding excitement and coming from a reasonably organized country, it may be easy to overlook issues over there that you could possibly regret later on. Now, of course, if you can afford to lose some money or even the vehicle, maybe it's no big deal to you, then no problem.

On the more technical side, one thing to keep in mind is that the truck is old. 20 years. It may be running fine, but it's old and parts will fail. Rubber and plastic crack and fail after some years. It takes only one old cable to fail on the sunroof to get you in big trouble if it rains and the thing happens to be open. There is more to this than just the AHC. Also, this is a luxury vehicle intended for soccer moms and drug lords :) , how will you feel when the babied carpets, wood veneer, and fancy leather will get covered up in mud etc? I'd rather go with something I can hose off.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd buy a decent local vehicle at first. It's not that difficult to check the condition. Yes, it may cost more but it is also likely you'd be able to recoup most of the cost if you sell locally later on in which case you may not be out that much, so if I could afford the upfront cost, I'd go that way. It may seem exciting and all for a cruiserhead to build and take it down there but I suspect the practical aspects may well eat up some of the savings and pleasure associated with that. Sorry.

But good for you to go! YOLO! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Lots of good things to look up and I appreciate the advice!
Properly maintaining a vehicle in this type of environment is going to be a completely new challenge for me and I have a lot to learn. I think that is more daunting as dropping $20k.

in a situation like that, I would be extra careful to figure out exactly the legalities and consequences of the importation process. Like will the truck be stuck there, can it be resold, would it take a fee to reexport, will there be odd taxes and fees, bribes, possibilities of being in limbo and unable to use it, issues with tech inspections, insurance for an unusual vehicle, etc etc? Seems like a lot of countries down south can be quagmires for this sort of things and especially for expats. I'd make sure to contact some experienced importers, expats or locals down there, and find out all very carefully first. In the modding excitement and coming from a reasonably organized country, it may be easy to overlook issues over there that you could possibly regret later on. Now, of course, if you can afford to lose some money or even the vehicle, maybe it's no big deal to you, then no problem.

On the more technical side, one thing to keep in mind is that the truck is old. 20 years. It may be running fine, but it's old and parts will fail. Rubber and plastic crack and fail. It takes only one old cable to fail on the sunroof to get you in big trouble if it rains and the thing happens to be open. There is more to this than just the AHC. Also, this is a luxury vehicle. How will you feel when the carpets and fancy leather will get covered up in mud etc?

Honestly, if it were me, I'd buy a decent local vehicle. It's not that difficult to check the condition. Yes, it may cost more but it is also likely you'd be able to recoup most of the cost if you sell locally later on in which case you may not be out that much, so if I could afford the upfront cost, I'd go that way. It may seem exciting and all for a cruiserhead to build and take it down there but I suspect the practical aspects may well eat up some of the savings and pleasure associated with that. Sorry.

But good for you to go! YOLO! Enjoy!

another issue I'd think about is that you would be driving a vehicle that is likely very rare, unusual, flashy, perceived to be extremely expensive and affordable only to a tiny fraction of the local population. Not exactly blending in. I doubt this is likely to get you lower prices with the local businesses... Not to mention also potentially putting a big target sign on your and especially your wife's backs if there are criminals that want to enjoy the Lexus's life excitement too or cops hungry for a good mordida (but admittedly I don't know how big a problem that is for CR... I sure as hell would not be driving a LX in MX, though, that's for sure.)

another issue I'd think about is that you would be driving a vehicle that is likely very rare, unusual, flashy, perceived to be extremely expensive and affordable only to a tiny fraction of the local population. Not exactly blending in. I doubt this is likely to get you lower prices with the local businesses... Not to mention also potentially putting a big target sign on your and especially your wife's backs if there are criminals that want to enjoy the Lexus's life excitement too or cops hungry for a good mordida (but admittedly I don't know how big a problem that is for CR... I sure as hell would not be driving a LX in MX, though, that's for sure.)
Rebadge as daewoo and smear it with poop?

Good looking out on the Prado find... it's actually kind of tempting. That's a good example of our situation. A $20k+ rig i know nothing about vs $9k in fees+5K-10k upgrades for a rig that i know has been babied it's whole life.

Ah excellent, The schedule is looking like we'll be up in VA by Mid-March & try to get the rig ready by mid-April. I will almost definitely take you up on this offer!
From what I've read & seen on youtube, just adding in an aftermarket lift & shocks is essentially replacing the AHC system, right? Maintenance aside, i think this + tires would be the first task
ya let me know, id be more than happy to help, my local club CLCC ( Capital Land Cruiser Club ) has a bunch of 100 series owners so we have the resources

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom