LX450 Stereo wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would also like thank @steve604 I was lost until I found this thread. The longest part of the instal was waiting for parts and matching wire for wire.

3CF174E6-8278-49C6-9A64-F6670E0D492A.jpeg

109798F4-00A9-4032-BA38-F669423F0F86.jpeg

308BE26E-F180-4421-8EA8-945738B1BA09.jpeg

So many people start new threads and this is the only one anyone needs for doing this job. People can't find it due to the spelling, is there any mods who could change it so it is easier to find?

Edit: and fixed!
I just realized after all these years that I spelled stereo wrong in the title lol. I'm glad it has helped so many people out.

Subscribed.

So in the end, this wiring still removed the factory amp. I am in minority as I am hoping to replace the HU and preserve the original set up as much as I could. It looks like the wiring diagram in post #22 by asutherland would support for factory amp. Is it correct?

Subscribed.

So in the end, this wiring still removed the factory amp. I am in minority as I am hoping to replace the HU and preserve the original set up as much as I could. It looks like the wiring diagram in post #22 by asutherland would support for factory amp. Is it correct?

My diagram bypasses the factory amp.

Resurrecting this thread as there’s some confusion on my part.

The attached picture is that of the Metra 70-8112. I understand it two of these are required to bypass the lx450 amp.

To clarify the Metra plug should be yellow wire to constant power, red wire to ignition power, blackb to ground. This leaves the rcas which are not used and two remaining wires. On is blue with white and the other is purple. The purple says power antenna which is attached to what? And the blue with white is amp power on which is attached to what? Also there is mention of needing to swap pin locations in the plug can anyone confirm this and the positions?

Thank you

FC1EEE5E-9C1C-4A62-A4DA-7B243015E316.jpeg

Ok it looks like I have everything working except dimming with head lights can anyone confirm the pin location on this plug above ?

I didn't bother with that or the speed sensor but mine optically adjusts to ambient light do you know if yours has its own sensor?

I ended up moving the pin position in the plug to the dash light dimming switch. This allows me to adjust the stereos brightness with the dimming knob to the left of the steering wheel. All good now

I ended up moving the pin position in the plug to the dash light dimming switch. This allows me to adjust the stereos brightness with the dimming knob to the left of the steering wheel. All good now
Can you help me by being more specific on the pin position, moved from where to where and what color ?.
TIA!

The purple says power antenna which is attached to what?

Did you ever get an answer to this question. My wiring at the head was hacked up so a mess. I didn’t use any harnesses from the amp plugs, but instead connected the appropriate wires to install a soundstream amp and connected wired to send “yellow”, ”red” to the head wiring. Now my antenna buttons aren’t working and am trying to figure out what I need to connect at the factory amp plugs to get the antenna buttons to work again. The previous aftermarket stereo did not have the antenna blue wire connected behind the head unit.

Figured out my problem. Wasn’t in the amp harnesses. I needed to connect the blue wire on the new head to the purple wire behind the head hacked from original harness. This wire want really connected to anything but I think was loosely contacting some frayed ground wires. This is why I probably had sporadic functioning of the antenna with the old head unit. All better now. Time to wrap all of the loose unconnected wires, tune the amplifier and button up my project. got’er done!

Also, I have a leftover package of Scosche TA021 harnesses, since I did not use. If you want it PM me. $5 to cover my shipping.

Anyone happen to have a Lexus head unit? Looking for an am/fm/tape/cd unit that I can open up and see how the lights work. My unit works great, just no button lights and didn't want to attempt to repair unless I kind know what I am getting into... If that makes since..

Anyone happen to have a Lexus head unit? Looking for an am/fm/tape/cd unit that I can open up and see how the lights work. My unit works great, just no button lights and didn't want to attempt to repair unless I kind know what I am getting into... If that makes since..

I'm in the process of replacing my factory HU. I can PM you when I've got it all sorted out. Still researching how to wire in a new/aftermarket amp in place of the crappy OEM amp, and I haven't pulled the trigger on a new HU yet.

I'm in the process of replacing my factory HU. I can PM you when I've got it all sorted out. Still researching how to wire in a new/aftermarket amp in place of the crappy OEM amp, and I haven't pulled the trigger on a new HU yet.
I used the Alpine iLX-W650 and KTA-450 4-channel power amp. The amp bolts right to the back of the Head unit (The head unit is non-CD so its shallow) and allows the units to be screwed together making a single unit. Spendy but great sound. Next is the Sub-woofer! I got mine from Crutchfield.

I need some help. I'm installing a new HU & speakers for my '96 LX450. I had a problem with my fusible links but thanks to awesome forum help on another thread and quick shipping & help from Wits' End (thanks Joey), my no crank, fusible links, and battery issues are fixed.

But I am still not getting power to the amp/radio unit.

**Edited after original posting**

I fixed my issue. I should have studied this thread better. I thought I could run power straight from the one amp plug to my new radio to test...then realized that the extra Metra harness and power running from the Scoshce TA02B was key. I should've studied @asutherland's posted harness picture better. Thanks @asutherland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom