LX450 Stereo wiring (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread!....Im starting on mine soon and need all the help I can get...lol

Im going to bypass OEM amp and put in aftermarket amp.... so hope I can figure this out...not finding info on how to do this step.

Please post if you do, I'm also about to install a new stereo in my LX450. I've never wired an amp before and all of this seems complicated enough as is.. I installed a new headunit in my '92 with 6.5"s around. Sounded great and was easy as I didn't have to extend the harness.

Please post if you do, I'm also about to install a new stereo in my LX450. I've never wired an amp before and all of this seems complicated enough as is.. I installed a new headunit in my '92 with 6.5"s around. Sounded great and was easy as I didn't have to extend the harness.

I should be getting my Alpine ktp-445U by end of week, the Kenwood DPX 593 BT will be here tomorrow....I removed the OEM amp to the trash can...

@asutherland , question....in your photo of the harness you made up for LX450, this completely bypasses the OEM amp, right?...Im guessing it does.

I want to add a Alpine KTP-445U amp into that harness and I know how to hook up the speaker wires but not sure about power wires, should I connect power (yellow) into white plug that was at OEM amp, next to the two grey plugs? or the white plug behind head unit?

Just trying to wrap my brain around this...

Thanks for any help

IMG_20180223_121658.jpg

Alpine_KTP-445U_Headunit_Power_Pack.jpg

The harness in the pic completely bypasses the factory amp. I would use power where the factory amp used to plug into, or probably better, run a separate wire all the way from a fuse panel or battery.

I didn't even use the deck power to power the Atoto deck in my case, as i was worried about higher power consumption (media deck, plus a 2.4a usb plus 1.0a usb plus dash cam etc etc) so I ran a dedicated power wire all the way to my blue sea fuse panel in the engine bay.

Don't have to use crazy heavy gauge or anything. Just something better than the puny gau factory wire. I think I used 16 ga, possibly 14.

Thanks @asutherland !...that Alpine brick amp only puts out 45W per speaker, its really small in size and they say you can tap into stereo power wiring as long as it can handle 15amp

I think I will use that metra 70-8112 plug where the OEM amp was at to power alpine amp...

Ps. If you haven't already added, I would suggest some sort of aftermarket fuse block. I used a blue sea 12 fuse one from Amazon. Each fuse can be up to 30A, no more than a total of 100A for the whole panel. Then I ran short 3 foot 4 gau wires to the battery through a resetable 100A Pico breaker right next to the battery.

There will always be more things you want to add. Fridge, trailer, led lights, VHF radio, the list goes on! Check my build thread for some pics :)

In my 96' LX-450 I added a Alpine 445U amp into my harness and success!

I ended up running yellow power wire out of amp to battery like @asutherland suggested ;)
Black ground wire to good chassis ground

The sound quality from this setup is unbelievable...didnt realize how bad OEM amp and head unit sounded

I replaced my two garbage dash speakers for the JL audio C2-350X (had to custom fit these in) which sound awesome in the mix now...I have Pioneer speakers in front and rear doors that I installed a year or two ago but think I'll custom fit in JL audio C2 6 1/2's if possible...

015.JPG

010.JPG

001.JPG

006.JPG

Last edited:
In my 96' LX-450 I added a Alpine 445U amp into my harness and success!

I ended up running yellow power wire out of amp to battery like @asutherland suggested ;)
Black ground wire to good chassis ground

The sound quality from this setup is unbelievable...didnt realize how bad OEM amp and head unit sounded

I replaced my two garbage dash speakers for the JL audio C2-350X (had to custom fit these in) which sound awesome in the mix now...I have Pioneer speakers in front and rear doors that I installed a year or two ago but think I'll custom fit in JL audio C2 6 1/2's if possible...

View attachment 2058055

View attachment 2058056

View attachment 2058057

View attachment 2058061

This is awesome, when I saw that amp I thought about doing the same thing. Too bad I didn't find out about it until AFTER I had installed my new radio and speakers. Where are you planning on mounting the amp?

This is awesome, when I saw that amp I thought about doing the same thing. Too bad I didn't find out about it until AFTER I had installed my new radio and speakers. Where are you planning on mounting the amp?

I put it underneath the glove box but it looks like I'll have to trim back top of glove box for it to close....just zip tied in for now to see if it will work...easy take out, just unplug connections on both ends and its out....I made everything plug and play ;)

019.JPG

020.JPG

027.JPG

Last edited:
If the factory amp was bypassed, how did you still retain the front dash speakers? Also do your rear ceiling speakers still work as well?

Hi Paul, the two dash speakers are using the power of the front door speakers which is from factory set up.

The LX450 does not have rear ceiling speakers or rear sub...

Dude, you nailed it!

Thanks ;)

Cant believe it all worked out...lots of searching to make it happen..and taking my time to do it right

So many people start new threads and this is the only one anyone needs for doing this job. People can't find it due to the spelling, is there any mods who could change it so it is easier to find?

Edit: and fixed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom