LX450 Stereo wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there has been a lot posted about this but after spending a lot of time reading through a bunch of info I was somewhat lost in misinformation and discrepencies. I accidentally came across a really easy way to wire an LX450 aftermarket deck so I thought I would share the info for anyone else searching for info.

My method requires no cutting and splicing of the already short AF factory wiring. This is a plug and play method with minimal running of wires to bypass the factory amp.

You will need one Scosche TA012 and TWO Metra 70-8112 wiring kits or suitable replacements. You will also need approx 8' of speaker (2 conductor) cable and a pile of red butt splices

After removing the factory amp from behind the passenger side lower dash speaker, you will have 3 plugs that were plugged into the amp. 2 of the plugs from the TA012 are used and one of the Metra plugs is used. Match up the wiring color for color and extend the left over speaker wiring to your deck harness speaker wires. On the deck end, just match color for color. The RCA plugs on the Metra kits aren't used (I chose to cut them off, taping them off is unnecessary as they are only connected to dead end wiring in the vehicle harness)

I put this all together by accident and it worked! The power antenna works with the deck and the deck lighting dims with the headlight switch as it should.

20160703_233833.jpg

20160703_221229.jpg

20160703_221223.jpg

20160703_221214.jpg

Thanks Steve, I purchased all of the connectors but mine seem different. Did you add an orange wire to the 70-8112 connectors? Mine don't have an orange and yours seem to. Any way you could add a few more photos or possibly label the picture? I'm hesitant to start cutting stuff up as this project is multiplying in cost rapidly. Thanks
Tub

I actually had 2 different brands of the metra style connectors and one didn't come with any orange wiries while the other came with 2 of them. Do your connectors have a vrown wire? You could move that pin/wire and put it into the right spot. I'll look up the pinning of the the connectors again to see where they should go.

Pin 2 is the one you want for illumination which is orange

1^^2^^3^^4^^^^^^^^^5^^6^^7
8^^9^^^^10^11^12^13^^^14^15

1 = amp turn on; blue
2 = ILL +
3 = ACC; blue/red
4 = Bat +; blue/white
5 = Mute; white
6 = FL; green
7 = FR; blue
8 = ANT turn on
9 = ILL (variable controlled by the dimmer)
10 = Telephone mute; red/green
11 = Power ground; Violet
12 = Signal ground; brown
13 = Beep; black
14 = RL; yellow
15 = RR; red

I recently installed a new HU using the Metra 70-8112 as I still wanted to use the factory amp to power the small sub-woofer in the center console. However, I now have a hum/whine in the speakers that so far I have been unable to get rid of. If I decide to bypass the amp to get rid of the noise, I may go with what you have done as I agree there is a lot of info all over the place that I find terribly confusing. From what I can see, you have no wiring for the center console sub-woofer. Is that correct?

I recently installed a new HU using the Metra 70-8112 as I still wanted to use the factory amp to power the small sub-woofer in the center console. However, I now have a hum/whine in the speakers that so far I have been unable to get rid of. If I decide to bypass the amp to get rid of the noise, I may go with what you have done as I agree there is a lot of info all over the place that I find terribly confusing. From what I can see, you have no wiring for the center console sub-woofer. Is that correct?
The center console "sub" isn't wired. That speaker is a joke anyway. From what I've read, you're better off just replacing the other speakers with some new ones.

Thanks
I'm operating without a garage and have been out of the moding habit for a few months and need to get my chops back. I'll post photos of where I am before soldering. One problem I'm dealing with is a pre-hacked harness, I'm ditching the amp and sub but I'm not sure I'd be better off with new speaker wire. The way it is now is a mess.
I'm installing a pumpkin unit and it has a ton of wires. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

The center console "sub" isn't wired. That speaker is a joke anyway. From what I've read, you're better off just replacing the other speakers with some new ones.
Ok. Good to know about the centre console speaker. I have already upgraded all my speakers incl the center console one. Troubleshooting last night, and I had all speakers unplugged except the center console. Sounds pretty good to me, but of course it is no 10" sub. I know I'm a minority, but I like it.

Finally getting back to this. Last question. Your second to last photo seems to have the metra (the rca plug one) blue and blue/white wire both connecting to one blue wire on the other connector. Am I seeing this correctly?
Thanks
Tub

I connected the blues and blue/white all together

Ok thanks I'll let you know how it works out

It worked! Thank you very much. Now I need to figure out how to use this radio.

Will this method work if my current setup looks like this? Got this rig a few months ago and am now trying to fix the stereo.

I know there has been a lot posted about this but after spending a lot of time reading through a bunch of info I was somewhat lost in misinformation and discrepencies. I accidentally came across a really easy way to wire an LX450 aftermarket deck so I thought I would share the info for anyone else searching for info.

My method requires no cutting and splicing of the already short AF factory wiring. This is a plug and play method with minimal running of wires to bypass the factory amp.

You will need one Scosche TA012 and TWO Metra 70-8112 wiring kits or suitable replacements. You will also need approx 8' of speaker (2 conductor) cable and a pile of red butt splices

After removing the factory amp from behind the passenger side lower dash speaker, you will have 3 plugs that were plugged into the amp. 2 of the plugs from the TA012 are used and one of the Metra plugs is used. Match up the wiring color for color and extend the left over speaker wiring to your deck harness speaker wires. On the deck end, just match color for color. The RCA plugs on the Metra kits aren't used (I chose to cut them off, taping them off is unnecessary as they are only connected to dead end wiring in the vehicle harness)

I put this all together by accident and it worked! The power antenna works with the deck and the deck lighting dims with the headlight switch as it should.

View attachment 1288533

View attachment 1288534

View attachment 1288535

View attachment 1288536

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like you took pics of the wiring in the FJ I got from my brother. The original owner had it done somewhere and they butchered it all to hell. I had to look at your post and make sure it wasnt me posting those pics lol.

Looks like you took pics of the wiring in the FJ I got from my brother. The original owner had it done somewhere and they butchered it all to hell. I had to look at your post and make sure it wasnt me posting those pics lol.

Did you get yours wired up correctly? What did you end up doing?

I used a metra harness for meanwhile, but i used the power from the cigarrette lighter since the memory wire kept busting the dome fuse so it keeps no memory. I will wire it direct to the battery next time I get home. I will be adding a second battery so it will be like I had in my old dodge ram, so I need to do some wiring for all that and a cb anyways. And I am going to run all new speaker wire direct to all 4 doors soon too.

Here is a pic of the radio in the dash.
IMG_20170120_150940425.jpg

Notice the clock is off. The damn fuse blew. But it has been rainig alot in socal so all these electrical gremlins have been showing up. Thats why I want to wire it directly to the battery, so I can avoid using the stock wires and have less things to trouble shoot off of it when things misbehave.

Has anyone who has done this made a wiring diagram? I can probably figure it out between the pics and FSM, but was hoping someone might have it drawn out. Also, looks like some of the connector are taped over in the first picture? If they aren't connected to anything, why not just cut them off?

Installed my Kenwood DNX691HD this weekend with this guide. Worked well. I initially tried to get by with one of each harness but I needed two of the Metra 70-8112. If I was doing this again I would buy the Schoshe version of this as the quality seems to be a bit higher.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom