LX450 only subwoofer after new door speaker install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LX450
all working well
installed front door speakers
disconnected dash speakers
tested new setup, worked fine, sounded good.
didn't drive for 2 weeks
drove truck, only subwoover makes sound

checked fuses, all good (17, 21 from owners manual)
pulled amp from dash, wiggled wires, unplugged and replugged it in, no change.

Any ideas?
common failures?

Did you check to make sure your door speaker connections are oriented in a way that the glass will not rub or bump them when you roll down the windows?

Ohm out the leads from the amp to the speakers. It may have presented a load that it was not designed for. Potentially the amp crapped out. There may be a short as noted above and it's in protection mode. A multimeter will tell you a lot when it comes to seeing where electricity is going. Start with your source. Make sure 12v is going to amp and ground is good. Then check speaker leads for 4ohm(typical) or whatever the amp says it can handle. It's a weird setup. I bypassed the entire thing and ran home run speaker leads from a new head unit.

Ohm out the leads from the amp to the speakers. It may have presented a load that it was not designed for. Potentially the amp crapped out. There may be a short as noted above and it's in protection mode. A multimeter will tell you a lot when it comes to seeing where electricity is going. Start with your source. Make sure 12v is going to amp and ground is good. Then check speaker leads for 4ohm(typical) or whatever the amp says it can handle. It's a weird setup. I bypassed the entire thing and ran home run speaker leads from a new head unit.
yeah, i know how to use dvm,

is the pinout in the FSM?
if not, anyone have another one or a link to a pinout?
I have the FSM, gonna look there first.

i posted hoping for a common failure such as a hidden fuse or reset.

F, fixing the buzzing fctory door speaker rotted surround is turning into a bigger job.
might start looking for factoryish upgrades. I usully hate aftermarket crap with their excessive worthless features and non intuitive control schemes.
thnks

QAuv2RS.jpg

kC7HQZF.jpg

jjzsvVb.jpg

1DNrVfP.jpg

posting these for those who search and find this looking for help with similar problems
Probably from LC not LX? but might help others.

LX450 radio and amplifier pinouts and wiring diagrams

Last edited:
@apachechef did you ever solve this? I have a 97 LX 450 and replaced door speakers, it worked for a while and then quit and now I only have center subwoofer.
I have tried three different factory amplifiers.

Did you check to make sure your door speaker connections are oriented in a way that the glass will not rub or bump them when you roll down the windows?
This is the first thing I would check. My door speakers weren’t working when I got the truck, but with the LX setup, didn’t have a problem. Not picky on audio unless it sounds like a tin can, to be fair. Found the cheap pioneers on eBay, went to install, and found my wiring was split apart because the windows had been hitting them in the past. Repaired connections and factory speakers came back to life & sound normal. Now I have backups 🤷‍♂️

If that’s not the case, at least you know, but easiest place to start. I made sure to orient the wiring so it would stay out of the way of the glass. Fingers crossed it’s simple 👍

Last edited:
This is the first thing I would check. My door speakers weren’t working when I got the truck, but with the LX speaker setup, I really didn’t have a problem with it. Also not picky on audio unless it just sounds like a tin can. Found some of the cheap pioneers on eBay, went to install them, and found that my wiring was just split apart because the windows had been hitting them in the past. Repaired the connections and my factory speakers came back to life and sound normal. Now I have backups 🤷‍♂️

If that’s not the case, at least you know, but best/easiest place to start. I made sure to orient the wiring so it would stay out of the way of the glass.
Thanks! I’ll check there first.

I had this issue recently after installing new speakers. One of the speakers was shorting to the door frame. Verify they all have good clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom