LX Auto-dimming mirror broken (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have any of you seen an auto-dimming rear view mirror stop working? I bought a '98 LX470 in January, and the rear view mirror doesn't auto dim, the button in front doesn't do anything, and what appears to be a small light on the front doesn't illuminate. I was wondering if it simply isn't getting any power, so I checked all the fuses and couldn't find a burnt one.

Any tips anyone has on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't able to find anything helpful by searching.

Thanks!

Did you check 12V at the wire plug?

Did you check 12V at the wire plug?
No! I didn't notice that there was actually a plug when I looked back there. I'll take another look.

I had a similar issue on my 03 LX 470. Before going bad, I had a oily substance drip down the windshield. Dealer checked it out and said it need to be replace with a new. Two options: buy a new one from the dealer ( I think they said $1500-2000) or buy a used one on Ebay. I went with the 2nd option and its working fine.

I had a similar issue on my 03 LX 470. Before going bad, I had a oily substance drip down the windshield. Dealer checked it out and said it need to be replace with a new. Two options: buy a new one from the dealer ( I think they said $1500-2000) or buy a used one on Ebay. I went with the 2nd option and its working fine.
Thanks for the tip. That's crazy expensive.

FWIW, the LC auto-dimming mirror is around $550 new.

Is the only cabling going to this thing 12v power? Or is there some kind of signal or ecu or control coming from another module?

Yes as far as I can remember.
I installed a gentex autodimming mirror that has the compass and outside tempearature indicator. I used the base and the arm from the truck and mounted into the gentex mirror rear cover. Used the existing 12V power and ran 2 additional wires from the mirror to the new temperature probe (not the factory temp sensor) which I mounted in front of truck. If you like to see what I did, let me know. I have to find the pictures I took along the way.

I installed a gentex autodimming mirror that has the compass and outside tempearature indicator. I used the base and the arm from the truck and mounted into the gentex mirror rear cover. Used the existing 12V power and ran 2 additional wires from the mirror to the new temperature probe (not the factory temp sensor) which I mounted in front of truck. If you like to see what I did, let me know. I have to find the pictures I took along the way.
Thanks! I'll let you know. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to mess around with mine and test voltage, etc.

Quick update - tore apart my front map light assembly (whatever it's called), and found that there are 4 wires leading to the auto-dimming mirror. My guess is 12v positive, ground, and some kind of signal and signal ground.

In mine, the wire shielding was pretty beaten up and torn, and I found a couple spots with bare wire and at one end, a completely severed 12 volt red wire.

I was able to verify the wire is getting 12v at the point where it is severed, so when I get a little down time I plan to st the very least, solder the wire back together and throw some shrink tubing over it and the other beaten up areas. Hopefully that's all I need to get this mirror working!

Thanks for the tips. I'll post here once I've confirmed the fix.

Any updates on this? I have a 98 LX and my mirror dims too frequently, so I think I'd ike to replace it with a Gentex or CIPA from amazon, which will give me the compass I want so badly and also a couple more map lights. My only concern is will this effect the dimming of my side mirrors.

I bot a gentex on amazon. A local glass shop used a small torch to remove the existing bracket and glued a wedge on to work with the camry mirror.

I believe it was $140 for the mirror which came with a compass.

ANYBODY wanting this mirror (auto-dimming, Compass and outside temperature indicator with the probe/sensor) I can supply for $65 shipped within lower 48 states. the existing wire plug will fit into the mirror, but you'll have to run two wires to power up the outside temp indicator.

Did you take any pics of this setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom