LS400 ---> LX450 Sunvisor mod ! FZJ80 MUST HAVE ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great, thanks for the write up.
I believe you are reading your meter incorrectly, notice the - sign in the left corner of the meter. This would indicate that the polarity is the reverse of what you wrote.

no the sign is that the meter is powered on haha I reversed poles at first when it showed a negative reading. hard to take a picture with one hand while the others holding a multimeter and trying to touch both pins with enough contact lol .. thus we have a weird angled multimeter haha

Well done! I need this fix, no more bungee cord holding my visor up! You probably thought about his but why can't you just swap the plug from the original visor to the new one and plug it in to the factory harness?

Well done! I need this fix, no more bungee cord holding my visor up! You probably thought about his but why can't you just swap the plug from the original visor to the new one and plug it in to the factory harness?

yeah about that ... haha dont ask me how I went through a pair of ls400 visors already trying to do that .. there is next to NO wiring coming out of the ls400 visors.. so that being said, on my first pair I stripped the wires took off the metal pins from the 80 visors swapped em all it was great and even worked ! one of them.. , but boy was it the worst wiring I had ever seen in my life.. copper all exposed and was such a pain in the A$$ !!! .. ended up falling off and i was cursing like a sailor .. lol thats why this time I thought it would be best to just use the metal to metal but i guess it needs a stronger connector than that.

What year LS400 did you use or year ranges?

Great work on this !

Hit ebay yesterday and got a set coming to me.

Sub'd.

Mine still seem ok and not sure what else makes the 400 vizors so great in comparison (they seem to have less coverage), but am curious and might give this a try..

Sub'd.

Mine still seem ok and not sure what else makes the 400 vizors so great in comparison (they seem to have less coverage), but am curious and might give this a try..

thanks ! the quality overall is far superior. yes they have less coverage regarding over the rear view mirror but that didnt help all that much anyways. if yours aren't sagging , keep em original ! if not then id highly recommend this mod

Best part of this will be not hitting the g-d light switch any more with my DS sun visor. A better price to value ratio than the JDM mirror for sure.

Ordered mine! Stoked because I have some slight sag but mostly the material is loosening on the OE visor a lot.

Another benefit of this is that I think I will actually be able to fully lower my visor without messing up my bigger Broadway Mirror attachment (which is a must for me).

As soon as I saw this post I ordered a set of these visors for $25 off of eBay. Driving in this damn California sun kills my eyes and visibility.

I really only needed the drivers side...No DS visor came with the truck when purchased. Fairly easy to install, little trouble getting the white plastic piece off of the wires.

PS - I still had the clip/attachment piece leftover from the OEM visor and it is a VERY TIGHT fit to get the new ls400 visor to attach. I really don't want to pull the visor out now...maybe a little bit of sanding to make it clip in easier.

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

Thank you @40thSagePearl fpr the legwork on this mod

As soon as I saw this post I ordered a set of these visors for $25 off of eBay. Driving in this damn California sun kills my eyes and visibility.

I really only needed the drivers side...No DS visor came with the truck when purchased. Fairly easy to install, little trouble getting the white plastic piece off of the wires.

PS - I still had the clip/attachment piece leftover from the OEM visor and it is a VERY TIGHT fit to get the new ls400 visor to attach. I really don't want to pull the visor out now...maybe a little bit of sanding to make it clip in easier.

View attachment 1353661

View attachment 1353663

Thank you @40thSagePearl fpr the legwork on this mod

looks sweeeeet ;) ! enjoy it ! anytime !

Just did the install and wired it up, lights work! One catch though, visor has to be slid all the way in on the rod for the light to work. Unfortunately, the clip is just a little too far away and the visor has to be slid out a little to clip it. Thus, if you want to use the light, you have to unclip and slide the visor toward the hinge. A little annoying but preferable to saggy visors...to be honest I don't know that I can ever say I have used the light since buying her about a year ago.

Thanks again for the idea @40thSagePearl !

Just did the install and wired it up, lights work! One catch though, visor has to be slid all the way in on the rod for the light to work. Unfortunately, the clip is just a little too far away and the visor has to be slid out a little to clip it. Thus, if you want to use the light, you have to unclip and slide the visor toward the hinge. A little annoying but preferable to saggy visors...to be honest I don't know that I can ever say I have used the light since buying her about a year ago.

Thanks again for the idea @40thSagePearl !

Awesome ! Im so happy to help the community ! I havent gotten around to wiring mine up still ive been so slammed with work and other more important things on my 80 series ! Hope you enjoy the mod.. I love the clean and high quality look they give to the headliner

One catch though, visor has to be slid all the way in on the rod for the light to work. Unfortunately, the clip is just a little too far away and the visor has to be slid out a little to clip it. Thus, if you want to use the light, you have to unclip and slide the visor toward the hinge.

This had me scratching my head until I figured it out. Lights work fine on the bench... Install them in the truck, they don't work! WTH! :bang:

I took the easy way out and just used the factory plug off the old visor and attached it to the LS visor. Thanks again to the OP for sourcing this swap!

IMG_7356.JPG

This had me scratching my head until I figured it out. Lights work fine on the bench... Install them in the truck, they don't work! WTH! :bang:

I took the easy way out and just used the factory plug off the old visor and attached it to the LS visor. Thanks again to the OP for sourcing this swap!

View attachment 1354841

WTF ! Why didnt i think of this!? Lucky your LS visors seem to have came with the roof mounting plugs from the LS also... im jealous lol leme ask you this though, if we ditch plugs all together and simply attach wire to wire, think it'd work ?

WTF ! Why didnt i think of this!? Lucky your LS visors seem to have came with the roof mounting plugs from the LS also... im jealous lol leme ask you this though, if we ditch plugs all together and simply attach wire to wire, think it'd work ?

Electrically, wire to wire will work fine. Functionally, it is nice to have a plug in the circuit so if you want to pull the visor out for some reason in the future you are not cutting wires. I wanted to have the truck side stay stock so I could go back to the stock visor if these didn't pan out for some reason.

Additionally, in this application (an incandescent bulb) the polarity is not critical on the visor side. An simple incandescent bulb could care less which side is ground. If you switch to an LED bulb then it is important to wire it up with the polarities correct.

Electrically, wire to wire will work fine. Functionally, it is nice to have a plug in the circuit so if you want to pull the visor out for some reason in the future you are not cutting wires. I wanted to have the truck side stay stock so I could go back to the stock visor if these didn't pan out for some reason.

Additionally, in this application (an incandescent bulb) the polarity is not critical on the visor side. An simple incandescent bulb could care less which side is ground. If you switch to an LED bulb then it is important to wire it up with the polarities correct.

I agree 100%.. will have to see how i can work with mine not having that roof plug pigtail from the LS aswell..

Thanks for this find! I just went and bought a pair and likely paid more than anyone else. But I have a sub tank kit in my garage and one caveat is that the factory visors won't work with the sub gas gauge in the roof console. These fit that application perfectly and in the correct tan color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom