Builds LS2 L76 V8 and 6L80E Swap in 1997 40th FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I am a long time Land Cruiser fan but I am new to the forum and hope I can figure my way through creating a legible thread on my recent FJ80 V8 Swap. Over the years, I have owned a 96 FJ80, a 97 FJ80 Collector's Edition, an 09 200 series, a 03 LX 470, and now I am back in a 97 FJ80 40th, Antique Sage Cruiser which was in rough shape when I bought it. I thought it might be fun to build my dream cruiser, so here I am. Recently I (actually - my mechanic) completed installing a 2009 LS2 L76 Engine and 6L80E Transmission in her and now she is in the prep stages for paint work. I will try and figure out how to post pics and describe any issues I encountered during this build. Stay tuned. I have attached a few pics to get the thread going.
IMG_8259.jpg
IMG_7501.jpg
IMG_9881.jpg

You did whattttttt!

Moarr pics needed!

Subscribed ;)

Btw arnt the L76 and ls2 2 different engines?

Gittyup..

The L76 is a 6.0l motor that uses the LS2 aluminum block, LS3 intake, and has VVT (variable valve timing). Some also have the DoD function (displacement on demand). Good motor, but not an LS2 unless the cam is swapped out. It can make a ton of power by doing the cam change.

This will be a kick ass swap.

You will all have to forgive me a bit as I know just about enough to make me dangerous. I am sure there are some great techs out there that will feel the need to correct me from time to time and I WELCOME that. I am sure my mechanic would do a much better job describing all this, but here is what I understand about everything. This engine and 6 speed Tranny is actually a dropout from a Pontiac G8. Same base engine (LS2) that is used in the Corvette and many other GM/Chevy vehicles. This L76 package, however offers active fuel management technology (DoD) and is tuned to run on regular gas. So, if it doesn't need all 8 cylinders, it drops some to save on gas consumption. I have replaced the cam shaft with (Cam # XER273HR 14), Cam springs, push rods and added an open air intake. It is a very popular engine with custom hot rodders as you can get a ton of hp, easy to work on and there are tons of parts out there for customizing. And yes, I am using the electronic throttle body.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a strong engine and tranny, I have my old one listed on ebay for sale. My mechanic did a compression test on the cylinders prior to pulling and all cylinders were hitting numbers between 178 and 185.

Funny turn of events...

As I said in an earlier post, I know just about enough to be dangerous concerning this stuff...

So, my rig is coming out of paint and being put back together this week, FINALLY. (I have been dying to get her back.) I mentioned to my mechanic that I wanted to have some LS2 badging black chromed to add to the truck (I know, I can be a bit cheesy) and he said "why would you do that? You have an LS3 engine in it!" He went on to explain that the engine I was sent came out of a Pontiac G8 GXP instead of a GT. The GXP came with the LS3 Engine, but the Junk Yard I purchased it from told me I was getting the engine from a Pontiac G8 only, I assumed it was the GT based on the price point. So I would guess the salesman didn't realize that either when he sold it to me, not sure though. VERY PLEASANT surprise though!!! With the new camshaft, I knew I would have a bad A$$ set up even though I didn't realize just how bad A$$ it really was. LOL!!! As cost has been through the roof on all this, it is nice to find out I wound up with more that I expected.

I tried to post more pics and it says I am at my limit. Does anyone know how I should proceed? Do I delete old to add new or upgrade my subscription or something?

Buy a star.

or get your star or link your pics from external website ( like I usually do from my web )

Edit: take a vid of how it sounds now :D

This is going to be sick, plain and simple!

X2 on the videos!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom