Lower elevation exploring/camping over Thanksgiving Weekend…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toying with the idea of doing part of Mojave Road over Turkey Day weekend. But, It is a hike, Cali kind sucks and of course fire restrictions, so my question to my fellow Cruiserheads is what would you recommend in our state at lower elevation, say below 3K feet and primitive camping?? Input appreciated. Thanks.

Been to Kofa, would be cool to explore that in more depth. Safford looks really cool though too.

I would think Fort Thomas / Safford area would be good.
Been in the area 3 times in the last 6 weeks curious on where you are going that is not on the rez?

In the area is Pima, AZ.... Taylor Freeze has excellent Green chili burritos

Leaning back towards Mojave Road. Have wanted to check it out for SO long. Bradshaw and Peace Trail also looks good too. Anyone else heading to Mojave Turkey day weekend?

get the book/trail instructions for the Mohave Road from the Mohave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association (which I happen to be a member of): Mojave Road Guide - https://mdhca.org/publications/mojave-road-guide

and definitely stop by the Cultural Center in Goffs - may need to make an appointment - they have a wealth of exhibits, as well as tips for your travel

if you go the entire route, plan at least 4 days - it's definitely worth it

we once drove it starting from the Bakersfield side, and several years later starting from the east

Watching this. If timing and location are favorable I may be interested.

Watching this. If timing and location are favorable I may be interested.
Just read this, next time for sure, would be nice having another wheeler along from our club.

Well we did go in from the East at Hwy 95 junction and headed in West past the Paiute Range to the Eastern side of the Joshua Tree Forest looking westerly into Lanfair Valley. Turkey Day was QUIET, saw only two other explorers the entire day. The solitude was amazing and totally relaxing as well. Our furthest point in was about 20 miles West of 95. Here are some pictures. I have many more on my phone that I need to down load. Your camp was at 2739 feet according to Gaia. Cold and windy the first night, 36 degrees, second night was much tamer with almost no wind at all and lower 40 degree temps. Very pleased with the rooftop setup and deck system inside. A big thanks to Richard for letting me check out his rig, made the decision for this tent easy. Made setup and take down super easy and comfy as well.

0981C68C-7DEA-414C-9CF6-D7732B12C635.jpeg

003B5307-158B-4C89-A436-28E1B5A79E7E.jpeg

066639B8-E53A-4873-8C8F-A46EA402D8DA.jpeg

CDFB7FF0-18F5-4797-8738-40264DACB5BC.jpeg

0D162DA0-A12D-471A-A0BD-994225885C23.jpeg

Just read this, next time for sure, would be nice having another wheeler along from our club.

Glad you had a good time. We wouldn't have been able to go on Thanksgiving day anyway. We ended up going out to Jacumba area (far east SD county) on Friday for a day trip.

Glad you had a good time. We wouldn't have been able to go on Thanksgiving day anyway. We ended up going out to Jacumba area (far east SD county) on Friday for a day trip.
I was in Anza Borrego this past March, awesome out there. Never been to Jacumba but a fellow off roader we met in Anza had mentioned it.

if in the Jacumba area, you might meet citizen vigilantes - don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

many years ago (in the late '90s), Michael and I were bouncing around there on dirt trails in the Blazer when we encounter a road block - get out of the truck to investigate, only to suddenly face people having walked up to the truck and us, in some sort of uniform, with gubs . . .

they advise we turn around, even though this is an official Forest Service road, and we showed them on the map: "don't matter to us what the map says, you cannot go through here" - oh kay . . .

needless to say, we have not had an urge to go back there, ever . . . :meh:

they weren't Forest Service, they were not Border Patrol, they had no identifying emblem on their trucks or uniforms, and they did not in any other way introduce or justify themselves, other than "you have to leave this area"

if in the Jacumba area, you might meet citizen vigilantes - don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

many years ago (in the late '90s), Michael and I were bouncing around there on dirt trails in the Blazer when we encounter a road block - get out of the truck to investigate, only to suddenly face people having walked up to the truck and us, in some sort of uniform, with gubs . . .

they advise we turn around, even though this is an official Forest Service road, and we showed them on the map: "don't matter to us what the map says, you cannot go through here" - oh kay . . .

they weren't Forest Service, they were not Border Patrol, they had no identifying emblem on their trucks or uniforms, and they did not in any other way introduce or justify themselves, other than "you have to leave this area"

Could be but we have been going there for years and haven't had a single issue. Of course we always have multiple vehicles and are on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary. And we are aware of the potential dangers being so close to the border.

It is a beautiful area though.

PXL_20211127_001840670.jpg

PXL_20211127_001520862.jpg

Ash Fork has some interesting element up there. Freemen and Militia big time! Many stories from guys I worked with at Ruger. Pro freedom, gotta love that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom