Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

which only left these ones. been heated many times. broke first 2 off just with screwdriver. had dared to think i was about done with broken studs! to say i was a bit disappointed is something of an understatement......

021.JPG

drank a couple beers; wandered around deciding i needed to do something to cheer me up.... then tripped over this greasy lump that has been sitting under a sheet in back of the shed for 10 months now....!!

020.JPG

self and alan jackson tinkered away into the night. happy with the flywheel; bit scored but there are no cracks and the teeth are great. it is good to go.

025.JPG 026.JPG

bring it on!!

029.JPG

heated exhaust flange studs.

so... ignored the pita screen holddown studs and tinkered. got exhaust and oil canister of this motor, cleaned the heck out of it and pulled the sump. found a few things:

broken lug on the crank pulley/harmonic balancer

sludge

teq stamped crank. mentione this before but i reckon this stamp is fj25 specific and i reckon the harmonic keyway is different on these cranks.

010.JPG 002.JPG 019.JPG

3 of the big end nuts are missing their split pins (will see if they in the sump; havent cleaned this yet).

most important was this loose union bolt on the oil pump feed. could get a good tenth of a turn with my fingers. broken and disintergrating fibre washer behind it. bolt play:

014.JPG 015.JPG

also what looked like a crack in the oil pickup line. no wonder i had so much trouble getting oil to the top of this poor old motor. i got a feeling the gearbox failed just in time!

013.JPG

once i pulled the oil feed it seems this is not cracked through. really looks like a hacksaw cut. what caused this damage i have no idea but will swap out or bronze up or sort something better.

pulled the 2 bigends with missing splitpins. they and the crank are scored to be sure (but what do you expect); and i not an expert is such things, but i can be pretty rough so i (and my budget) are calling them good to go. shells marked teq std. will pull all these for a look. cam is not the best you ever saw but same same; its ok. bores seem ok as far i can tell from underneath.

020.JPG

i have no plans to pull the head. (im outa head gaskets haha) but seriously ive never seen the point in pulling heads for the sake of it. good clean, sump gasket, pushrod gallery gasket and will pull the rocker gear later for a looksee seeing it may have been a bit perished for oil.

but a couple QUESTIONS?

anyone think i really need to look at the main bearings? i wasnt going to bother; this is only a "get her goer".

reckon i swap the broken fibre washer on the oil pump feed with copper. surely nobody has issues with this?

this rubber grommet where the oil pump pickup locates in its canister is as hard as a piece of rubber can be. feel it should have some 'give'; even if thats just to fit it in the first instance. dont feel this is helpful and may try do something about it?

026.JPG

finally; i have a couple "full gasket kits" (my mate found cheap) that suit (according to the label) MAR69 - SEP73. i know the head gaskets are different (but most things the same) so DO WE THINK THE REAR MAIN SEAL THE SAME??

in the end i washed up and retired early with clean hands to do some study. this one DEC67. (seems date is in the back of these.)

028.JPG

After my recent experience with oil-less F's west I can safely say your crank and shells aren't nearly as scored as mine were. My shells had liquefied and been pumped into the crank galleries before cooling and setting. Someone else will know better, but can you throw a new set of shells in and call it good?

Oh and go for a new rubber if it's rock hard.

this crank is not perfect so without a crank grind (im not going there) just going to slap it all back together. inspected and cleaned all bigends, pretty even wear, and got them cleaned, oiled and back together with new split pins. hard to get the castle nuts right within the torque set but swapped a few nuts and got them pretty good. if anything a few are at the tighter end of the 35-55 ft/ld my book recommends.

found a new rubber grommet of unknown application among aforementioned gasket kit to locate the pickup.

002.JPG

i have an f motor in bits. for what its worth block is cast 1966; was the motor that 'patina' (1964 fj45) came with. dug through the box to locate a donor oil pickup line and noticed they different. latter is larger capacity.

004.JPG

this means the oil pump is different also because the union bolt that holds pipe to the pump is larger. wondering what anyone knows about all this; i presume at some point they changed to a larger capacity oil pump. the later pump would surely be the go if you were properly rebuilding an early motor. think i have decided to bronze up the line i have and run a decent oil pressure gauge.

still pondering oil pump so turned my attention to donor (for now) gearbox. have been cleaning this old lump to a stage where i can be bothered turning a spanner on it. nothing too special happening here; just a clean and a few new seals etc.

001.JPG

got all the external linkages apart; drilling out rotten split pins etc. what was bugging me most was this linkage which was stuck and turning the shaft in the trans housing. sorted with no drama though.

004.JPG

very clean in the trans. fair bit of condensation in the box; mostly up high tho. filled this with old diesel and cleaned things up with a little wire brush. will be ok; calling it good to go. first gear is the worst.

005.JPG

also found this old top among my junk; original is (as always) very flogged around the stick locating pins. this dirty old donor in surprisingly good cond. soaking this.

003.JPG

and then just lots of cleaning. sump, flywheel, bellhousing, rocker cover, pushrod cover fueltank etc etc.

slowly but surely

Hey west there's a bloke in Perth selling a couple of 2H's. Ian. DOn't know him, just saw it on a 40 Facebook page. Might be a couple liner blocks there. 0408 090 310.

cheers cult. got your txt was just a bit greasy to reply. i in perth mon week may give him a buzz. very broke tho!! herein lies the beauty of liner blocks; once you got one you are done with lugging blocks to rebore shops and looking for replacement blocks haha.

Yeah sweet. No rush, just didn't want them to go to waste.

Hi Henry I am still alive there is a mob in Melbourne that will restore steering wheels in any condition $600 + freight. you can afford that. I have a 1983 FJ40 wheel down there now will get pics when it returns.
Cheers Fred

Hi Henry I am still alive there is a mob in Melbourne that will restore steering wheels in any condition $600 + freight. you can afford that. I have a 1983 FJ40 wheel down there now will get pics when it returns.

fwed - bloody good to hear from you! if a few stars line up i intend to drive to the east coast this summer and visit a few my old mates along the way (including a few mud geeks ive never met) so will be in touch. fwed i buy tojos for a carton; $600 repairs are beyond my comprehension haha!

Just read the whole thread! I learned a lot about the early FJ25/40's I never knew. Awesome that you are bringing this old girl back to life as a user!

coolerman - thanks for the kind comments. must say i learnt a bit about early 40s i never new either!! but learning and the challenge are a big part of the enjoyment. nobody in their right mind would do something this ridiculous. slowly but surely we will get there on this one.

havent done much in the last couple days. borrowed my mates hiab so (the short story is) i been busy with a few other things...

007.JPG

He'll need another stable at this rate. Or a friend to help relieve him of a few fixed-tops ;)

yea the very remains of a very battered old army. i have known of it for a while; just happened to be in the right area with the right 'tools' to hand. was destined for the scrappys crusher. aussie25 is taking a few of the army specific trinkets for his resto but all in all theres not too much to like. is one though (and i didnt have one haha) and the price was right. couple more views (including a pic pertaining to the 'long story')!

DSCN0102.JPG 001.JPG 011.JPG 010.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom