Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I reckon 40 seats.

the project rusty thread has slipped to page 5. how embarresment. anyways honoury mudder bumstein turned up for a day or so to kick me into gear so today we packed a few beers over to the shed and turned a spanner. pulled cam and fitted steel gear. were not happy with one cam lobe and matching cam follower so rummaged for donor camshaft and follower from my junk. noticed the original cam followers a little different to the later donor; will get a pic of this later. finally got this engine off the stand; bellhousing/flywheel fitted; and a few small things done. nice to be turning a spanner again

here pic of offending cam follower. original 61 on left; mid 60's donor on right. was intake lobe on number one pot that failed. notice how the later donor has one half round hole instead of 2 full round holes like the earlier one? I cant imagine why? surely a full round hole would be easier to cast/machine? interests me.

008.JPG

cheers for the pics bumstein. yea we got a bit done while emptying a few green cans! new core plugs all round. new spigot and thrust bearing. went cheap and cheerful with a used clutch plate for now. going to run this 1964ish stick shift gearbox for now but have not given up on the old column shift stuff.
motor drying after water jacket flush.
007.JPG

The holes in the lifters are sand cast, i.e. not very accurate. They are there to get the sand cores in/out for casting. Shape irrelevant.

FYI, the block pic show the date code 01024, Y MM DD. 1960 October 24.

cheers jim - that makes sense; shape was very consistent between the 2 lifter sets but guess just how them. been following your thread on the 45 page but never have anything of the slightest use to add!

yea 60 build block in an early 61. shares same crank and harmonic balancer as a 25; wonder when they ran them all out? got a 65 head on it tho.

so few beers this evening and tinker tinker. got bonnet out of storage and started remove hinges and latches; everything very seized and broken. also got some old po broken studs out of the radiator support frame and a couple of my own very very annoying broken studs out of the windscreen frame. gotta get all this done because I know once I get the big lump back in the big hole my interest on old broken studs will be exactly zero.

screen holddown latches pictured. did I mention this little 40 is very rusty??

003.JPG

G'day mate... any progress?

Hi there west, not much wrenching time lately? I thought I'd bump your thread with I pic of the dismantled shifting thingy on the steering column. Don't know if you ever figured that out? It is just screwed into housing:
IMG_8458.JPG
IMG_8459.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom