Longs with Aisin hubs install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After doing some research, and deciding to go with Longs for replacement birfields, I went about trying to figure out how to install the Aisin hubs with the longer birfs. After several ideas and decided to go ahead and add another groove to match the location of the shorter earlier birfs. The following pics are of the modified long and the install.

1. upclose of the OEM birf and modifed Long
2. Installed and sticking out of spindle
3. Full shot of both birfs
DSC00436.jpg
DSC00439.JPG
DSC00435.JPG

Couple of more shots.
DSC00440.JPG
DSC00442.JPG
DSC00444.JPG

1. Circlip installed at original longer birf groove.
2. Lockout cap does not seat because of offending circlip
DSC00448.JPG
DSC00449.JPG

1. Circlip at the new groove to that matches the OEM birf
2. Lockout cap seats perfect.
DSC00450.JPG
DSC00451.JPG

1. Add grease to see if it will mark the inside of cap
2. Seat cap.
3. All good. No interference.

I have not finished to other side due to work, I expect all to be well. Now to do the PT kit in the transfer.

I called Bobby and told him what I was doing. He said that he was going to look into adding the second groove so that people could run hubs. Machining should be minimal. Less than an hour shop time. Got mine done for $65. Good luck.
DSC00452.JPG
DSC00453.JPG
DSC00454.JPG

Wow great job and writeup! This will truely inspire more people to jump on the part-time kit....Thanks

Awwwwwwwwww CRAP! :crybaby: You mean after 3 years I'm finally this <-> close to completing my my buildup and you come along and tell me I need to break the knuckles completely down to add a circlip groove for the hubs.....! :flipoff2:

Better to know now than try to install the hubs and run into it, thanks for the write up! ;)

Great writeup and pics. Been looking at this now for a while. FAQ material for sure.

excellent job; much better than my shade tree mechanic groove that I made! Very nice indeed.

I was down at Tellico this past weekend. We went up to "guard rail" to have a look. At the top was two piles of parts, a warn and an Aisin hub busted to s***. Are you sure you want these on your trucks?

I climbed it no problem and then drove 18 hours home. I think I'll stick to my flanges. But nice write up for those who have been trying to get them to fit properly.

Well until I get a locker in the front, I think I will be fine. At which point I will get one of Bobby's special hub gears. I always have the plate as a back up trail spare, or another set of hubs.

Another reason to run hubs with Longs is that they (longs) do not hold up well with the full time 4WD. The hubs will allow the user to not have the added wear on the longs.

I thought Aisin were of mythical strength. Especially compared to Warns. From my research I think Aisins are more than strong enough to handle 35s even with a locker. I am sure their strength has been hashed out before on here.

I have more to worry about in the rear end. I have busted both rear shafts.

I'm running 37" on my Aisin hubs plus ARB + chains and never broke a hub.. actuall have a spare at home ..

Great info and write up .. thanks ..

Do you have an actual measurement on where the new groove goes?

Maybe measure from the end of the stub to the outer edge of the new groove?

And measure from the inner edge of the outer groove to the outer edge of the inner groove?

Ive got access to a lathe and want to take care of this myself.

Just need a measurement to check against what Im getting on a partially assembled axle.

Thanks.

I think Beno did this legwork for you. Search his thread for part time Tcase and you'll see more details.

I thought Aisin were of mythical strength. Especially compared to Warns. ...

Anything can be broken, but in my experience Aisin hubs (steel body) are much stronger than Warn hubs or any other cast alloy body hubs.
warn_1_sm.jpg
warn_2_sm.jpg

Anything can be broken, but in my experience Aisin hubs (steel body) are much stronger than Warn hubs or any other cast alloy body hubs.

pfft.. .obviously it just failed because there was a missing lug nut ;) :p

I wheel with guys running Aisin's with 44" tires. They do break , but very rarely! Aisin's IMO are as good as hubs get.....

If this is to be put in the FAQ's (which I think it should) I think it would be a good idea to state the measurements of the new snapring grove and which Asian hubs you are using.

I know the info for the snap ring is in other threads but why make someone search for it? They will already be looking in the FAQ's! And as for the hubs, it would be nice to know exactly which ones for sure do not cause interference. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom