Longs with Aisin hubs install (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shorter 80 series birf (4/1994 and earlier: PN: 43405-60120)= 238.5mm
Longer 80 series birf (4/1994 and later: PN: 43405-60070)=246.5mm

You can buy two new earlier birfs (no ABS ring--came stock on 1991-1992 rigs) or you can machine a snapring groove on the later birfs.

Birf snap ring groove width=3mm

New snapring groove on longer birf should start 13mm from the top of the birf.

Last edited:
Do we know what the hubs were off of?

You can basically use any Aisin hub that accepts a 30-spline count. Mine were from an FJ60 (gold dial) that I rebuilt and painted the dial mini-truck red.

There are also some, IIRC, 1979 FJ55 ASCO (Aisin Seiko Company) hubs that are a direct fit as well. These were a short lived part. Some folks have these but Toyota no longer carries these hubs.

There are also some, IIRC, 1979 FJ55 ASCO (Aisin Seiko Company) hubs that are a direct fit as well. These were a short lived part. Some folks have these but Toyota no longer carries these hubs.

Actually, it would be prior to 1979, as the outer length changed 01/79 to the shorter style.

So the lockouts you would be looking for would have been found on 08/75 to 12/78 55 series trucks in the USA.

Lock Out 101 <---- this is a link

From the 40/55 series F A Q <---- this is a link

:beer:

You can basically use any Aisin hub that accepts a 30-spline count. Mine were from an FJ60 (gold dial) that I rebuilt and painted the dial mini-truck red.

Do you think you could run an IFS hub with the Longfield CM gear in it? I'm not sure if the housing is long enough...

Do you think you could run an IFS hub with the Longfield CM gear in it? I'm not sure if the housing is long enough...

IIRC, IFS hubs work. That said, I'd test it first. I do not know which birfs. Long's have copied--earlier shorter ones, or later longer ones.

You have all of the info. you need to do the testing you need to do.

Rather than add a groove to the stub, it would be a lot easier to just make some little tubing spacers that go between the original c-clip and the hub internals. Would only take a short section of pipe with an ID very close to the OD of the splines. All the c-clip does is keep the birf from sliding into the knuckle, not much load on it.

I know this thread is very old, but figured i would add that the Trail-Gear FJ80 axles have 2 grooves and work correctly with IFS hubs with Longfield chromo IFS hub gears.

So has anyone tries the spacer idea I'm looking to do part time kit on my 97 with longs already installed

Has any
I know this thread is very old, but figured i would add that the Trail-Gear FJ80 axles have 2 grooves and work correctly with IFS hubs with Longfield chromo IFS hub gears.
Has anyone did the pipe spacer with success

A spacer would seem simple and clean.. Hmmm.. Any confirmation on the IFS hub housing? I know the guts of the IFS hub are spaced further in.. I just picked up a set of Sammi/mini truck parts and was ready to put them on and realized in my haste I didn't pull the birf' out and the snap ring isn't sitting where I thought it did- OOPS.

Am i missing something? People spent $$ at a machine shop to regroove birfs, but ive got an 8mm slice of tube as a spacer on my part timed 97.

Am i missing something? People spent $$ at a machine shop to regroove birfs, but ive got an 8mm slice of tube as a spacer on my part timed 97.

Not all of us spends $$ at the machine shop; just create a groove with the grinder wheel and call it done!

Can you upload a picture of your spacer in place? I recall trying this but didn't like it for some reason. Maybe I wasn't able to seat the Aisin dial properly?

:meh: I bought Longs last Spring and there were both snap ring grooves machined on each end.

Anybody else run a spacer on their long birfs and Aisin hubs? I can slice a piece of tube much more precisely than I think I would cut a groove in the birfs using a grinder so I'd like to try out the spacer method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom