Longs with Aisin hubs install (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody else run a spacer on their long birfs and Aisin hubs? I can slice a piece of tube much more precisely than I think I would cut a groove in the birfs using a grinder so I'd like to try out the spacer method.

I tried but could not get everything to fit right with the spacer. Not sure what the hell I was doing wrong. Finally decided to cut a groove and it went together without issue.

What was the thickness of the spacer you used Jose? What did you end up using to cut the groove?

What was the thickness of the spacer you used Jose? What did you end up using to cut the groove?

I was actually using the specs mentioned by Booger in the post above. I ended up using my Dremel with a cut-off wheel. Very easy to do.

Anybody else run a spacer on their long birfs and Aisin hubs? I can slice a piece of tube much more precisely than I think I would cut a groove in the birfs using a grinder so I'd like to try out the spacer method.

The actual spacer is not the problem keeping the Aisin hubs not able to work. The use of a spacer puts the axle snap ring out too far into the hub plastic dial face.

Thanks @LandCruiserPhil ! Gave the spacer a try and it was definitely binding up somewhere... glad I didn't spend too much time trying to diagnose the issue
Screenshots_2016-07-05-19-35-09.png

I think I tried that, and it interferes with the hub, my memory's a little blurry from a couple of years ago. I did make some jigs wth tubing to keep my groove accurate and used a freelance with a mini- cut- off wheel. A tightly cut cardboard donut and some tape kept the grime out. The tricky part was getting the distance out right but I had a 60 axle to measure off of.

Last edited:
Looking at your first pic, the Longs are longer (no pun intended) as were my RCV's and I ordered them, and the PT kit from Slee. Cristo said "it's very important that you cut the end off the axle removing the outer groove, or they'll hit the Aisin hubs. About a 3min cut per axle in the chop saw and it was done. Never had a problem installing them. The c-clips sit pretty tight once installed, but I haev no interference with the hub dial. My kit also came with heat treated hub rings as well. I'm just curious if you cut the end off the axle or you're running them the length they came from Longs. Cheers!

When I swapped Asin hubs on my 80, I went low budget and installed a second circlip between the hub gear (?) and the properly seated circlip on the longfield stub axle. It fit perfectly and essentially worked like the pipe spacer described above. I drove it for a couple hundred miles before I sold it, so I can't say it worked long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom