Locking hubs mis-assembled (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I suspect it's 'Tire World' - the manual hubs on an FJ62 I'm working on are both locked when in the 'free' position, and only turn 2/3s of the way toward 'lock' (and this makes no difference in their status). I jacked up the front of the truck and went through all possible combinations to determined the 'locked' status. They are currently locked 100% of the time. Factory Aisan hubs.

I presume someone put together the hubs in a mis-indexed fashion? Is this a quick fix (pull the knob and spline, clock it, and re-insert, or do I have to completely disassemble the knob-and-spline portion, study the indexing, and reassemble?

Thanks - Steve

I suspect it's 'Tire World' - the manual hubs on an FJ62 I'm working on are both locked when in the 'free' position, and only turn 2/3s of the way toward 'lock' (and this makes no difference in their status). I jacked up the front of the truck and went through all possible combinations to determined the 'locked' status. They are currently locked 100% of the time. Factory Aisan hubs.

I presume someone put together the hubs in a mis-indexed fashion? Is this a quick fix (pull the knob and spline, clock it, and re-insert, or do I have to completely disassemble the knob-and-spline portion, study the indexing, and reassemble?

Thanks - Steve

Manual is clutch to have, but maybe this can add some insight into what can be a frustrating few steps if not done correctly.

Manual is clutch to have, but maybe this can add some insight into what can be a frustrating few steps if not done correctly.

thanks for the video it is a great help

Conclusion: It turns out the tabs (see circled items in pix below) were bent way over sideways such that they would not engage with the dial. This allowed the splined cog to be engaged all the time, and the dial did nothing, since it was not engaged.

Some clamhead must have forced the dial to bend these tabs. I bent the tabs back, and now the hubs work as they should and the driveline is disengaged when the hubs are set to 'free'

tabs.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom