Locker Options... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm to the point where I'm ready to start building my '91 80S. It is open/open right now but I would like to at least have a rear locker. My trouble is I can't seem to find any lockers other than the ARB ($$$$$) or a lunch box style ($). I'm looking for something in between.

It will be driven on light trails and highways/access trails. I'm more than likely leaving the front open or installing a Harrop in the distant future. Is there not a mechanical locker (Detroit/Eaton etc) available for the semi float rear?

I don't mind shelling out the cash for an ARB but the locker itself is the tip of the ice burg. I have no need for OBA or anything so a compressor would be dedicated to the locker only...which is kind of a waste of $500 IMO.

Just curious. TIA!

I would concentrate on just a rear locker, which will save you enough to get an ARB, which is basically your only realistic option in a '91.

Why not Harrop for rear?

Because the '91 rear is a semi-float with c-clips. But with that said, a really good swap would be a later FF axle, and then a Harrop.

I would concentrate on just a rear locker, which will save you enough to get an ARB, which is basically your only realistic option in a '91.

Because the '91 rear is a semi-float with c-clips. But with that said, a really good swap would be a later FF axle, and then a Harrop.

^ what he said

This thing will more than likely never get a FF rear unless I just happen up on a super cheap one...

The goal is to have a cheap, reliable family ride for mild trails and street driving. ARB isn't an option due to expense and having to run an OBA setup that's half the cost of the locker itself. I could probably get away with a cheaper OBA setup but if I run a compressor I'll want to add a sizeable tank to make it feasible to shell out the cash.

Would love to run a Detroit or similar as that's what I have in my dedicated trail vehicle now and it works well.

EDIT :

I do not want to run a lunch box because with as much street driving as this thing will see it will need springs/pins regularly and most units make the dreadful ratcheting in corners.

Oh, I wasn't even paying attention to the year. I keep forgetting there are folks that drive these with the 3FE :flipoff2:

^ what he said

This thing will more than likely never get a FF rear unless I just happen up on a super cheap one...

The goal is to have a cheap, reliable family ride for mild trails and street driving. ARB isn't an option due to expense and having to run an OBA setup that's half the cost of the locker itself. I could probably get away with a cheaper OBA setup but if I run a compressor I'll want to add a sizeable tank to make it feasible to shell out the cash.

Would love to run a Detroit or similar as that's what I have in my dedicated trail vehicle now and it works well.

EDIT :

I do not want to run a lunch box because with as much street driving as this thing will see it will need springs/pins regularly and most units make the dreadful ratcheting in corners.
i call bs on that latter of this. come drive my lunch boxed used as a dd for some miles racked on it and see if you notice a sound or needing anything .

Every one I've had ratchets. They say the power trax doesn't but I've never owned one.

I've had Aussie and Lockrite both and they ratchet when cornering...

For what you want to spend to be locked, and your intended use, the lunch box unit seems appropriate. They do click but it's not terribly loud and they are not as harsh around town as a Detroit which also cost near twice as much and dictates a much more involved installation which will cost you your other right leg unless you do it yourself.
Perhaps you can solicit reviews from members who have run a lunch box locker for some time.

The 80s with Aussie locker/Lokka that I have driven are undetectable/silent to me.

Every one I've had ratchets. They say the power trax doesn't but I've never owned one.

I've had Aussie and Lockrite both and they ratchet when cornering...

On an AWD rig? It makes a huge difference, with the power split, some going to the front, they are very civilized. Have installed driven several on 80s, with the windows can detect the clicking on tight turns, but that's about it. With the CDL button, they almost act like a selectable.

ARB isn't an option due to expense and having to run an OBA setup that's half the cost of the locker itself. I could probably get away with a cheaper OBA setup but if I run a compressor I'll want to add a sizeable tank to make it feasible to shell out the cash.

The ARB compact compressor is $169 (this shouldn't be used to air up tires, though).

ARBCKSA12

An ARB Locker is $960 + Install.

Cruiser Outfitters

If you wait for a promotion, you often times can get the compact compressor for free with the purchase of the locker. (I am waiting for just such a promo for when I put ARB's in my Tacoma).

You can also go to a junkyard and pull the suspension air compressor out of a Cadillac for $10 and cobble together something which will work until you can justify putting together a nicer/better OBA system.

No affiliation with ARB, Cruiser Outfitters, or Just Differentials, BTW... Just a very satisfied customer.

The Detroit ratchets nd pops and bangs around corners just like the "lunch box" type. Maybe you haven't driven it enough on the street to notice.

Fo
^ what he said

EDIT :

For mild trails and street driving why do you need a locker I've had my 91 to Timbouxtou and back literally and have never really needed a locker to get me where I needed or wanted to go. I do have a factory LSD in the rear and when that goes I will probably replace with an ARB just because but really will never have a need. I would concentrate money on other accessories inst before a locker.

On an AWD rig? It makes a huge difference, with the power split, some going to the front, they are very civilized. Have installed driven several on 80s, with the windows can detect the clicking on tight turns, but that's about it. With the CDL button, they almost act like a selectable.

This was my experience on a daily driver FJ80.

For mild trails and street driving why do you need a locker I've had my 91 to Timbouxtou and back literally and have never really needed a locker to get me where I needed or wanted to go. I do have a factory LSD in the rear and when that goes I will probably replace with an ARB just because but really will never have a need. I would concentrate money on other accessories inst before a locker.

This is my thought as well. If you're only running mild trails, why do you feel you need a locker? Have you needed on before? I'd just get a tow strap and have your friend pull you out if you happen to get stuck (which will be unlikely on mild trails). JMHO.

My last truck had factory E-lockers and with my new truck I installed Kaiser lockers front and rear. I did end up part timing the truck which helped tremendously with torque steer.

Far superior to the e-lockers in every way. I won't go selectable again.

1 : I've never ran a lunch box in a AWD vehicle. Maybe that's the difference.

2 : I can drive my Tacoma on the street no problem with the Detroit...that's what I was partial to using it. Once you get accustomed to driving with the Detroit you can drive it with no popping or clanging.

3 : I'll definitely look into the lunch box option as they are super easy to install. I do my own installs anyway so the $960 ARB with free compressor option is looking better also.

4 : I want a rear locker because I would like to creep through the trails without having to get gnarly with small, uneven obstacles. My mild-trials will be a 3 Diamond trail, but I'm planning on driving this thing to and from events (sometimes as far as 8 hours drive time) so I wanted something reliable.

I loved my Aussie's performance...it was the horrible noise it made in my Tacoma that I didn't like on the street. You guys that are running them say no noise due to CDL and AWD then I'm sold on a lunchbox.....especially for the price!

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Detroit and lunch box lockers are mechanically the same, so they have the same noise and driving characteristics. Once you get used to driving with them they don't pop and bang very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom