LJ78: To 2T-LE, or not to 2T-LE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Chance to buy a 93’ LJ78 ($16.2k, 130k-ish miles). Read all over the forums and the consensus is the engine is going to crack a head because the inadequate cooling system, unless significant modding is done.

However, this one has been upgraded to a 3L, radiator serviced, EGR delete. Overall good condition with all major maintenance done within the last two years (timing belt, pulley, brakes, injectors, turbo rebuild,etc..).

I know I can instal temp gauges that are more accurate to monitor, but don’t want to constantly be parinoid.

Live in the south so it’s HOT! Any input of worth taking the risk or not for those that extensively work on these or currently own one? Really looking for info outside these forums to sway me one way or the other.

Mainly street driving with occasional trails, but nothing technical.

Thanks.

It's simplest just to avoid them.

But....if you stand to save some significant $$ and can do your own wrenching, they're not that bad at all. I love mine.

It's big mountain passes and/or towing heavy loads at high speed you want to avoid (basically high load). Regular driving even in hot weather is fine.

The head design was revised at a certain point, and the later part number head for both 2LTE or 3L are much better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom