Let's play a game... spot the mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bought a iPad wifi yesterday and was driving down the road and wanted the get a nav app. Then remembered I don't have 3G. I quickly turned around and went back to the apple store and bought the 3G. Much happier knowing that I have the upgradability.

Now it's either the Ram mount or the OP's mount. I like both.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using IH8MUD

Romer said:
found a great deal on an ipad 1 and bought it. On AT&T's site you can buy a NEW (not refurb) 3G 64GB for $529. I didn't think I needed the ipad 2 so I saved $300

Apple® iPad® with Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB Cell Phone - from AT&T

I ordered the mount RAM Flat Surface Mount with Tab-Titeâ„¢ Cradle for the Apple iPad, iPad 2 & HP TouchPad

and an otterbox off ebay

Can't wait to get it all and see how it works. Hopefully, the mount will be stable enough

Nice. I will wait to see how the mount works out for you before I order mine. I want to get this all setup before my trip in 3 weeks. That is a killer deal by the way. I have the 64GB 3G from Verizon since AT&T coverage in downtown Atlanta is complete garbage and Verizon has perfect coverage.

all my other phone service is with Verizon.

I figured most of the places I would use it there is wifi and AT&T had the cheaper plan. I may just shut it off. But you have to have a 3G unit to get GPS

I also wanted to be able to take it overseas If I end up going somewhere and you can't do that with Verizon.

I did recently get my daughter an ipad 2 and they are sweet, just didn't need the cameras or other changes for what I am doing

I did download GPS Drive HD and Scenic Map*your region here* and so far they are excellent. I have yet to drive with them but just sitting on the couch the apps are very cool with more features than I can probably use for a while.

I have 15 days to see if I like Verizon (15 days to return iPad to swap out for AT&T). ATT has a little bit faster 3G in Atlanta but it's very spotty. Whereas Verizon is excellent coverage but not as quick. I have the 1GB plan for the first month to see speed and coverage than I will be going to the 5GB/Month plan.

you have to have a 3G unit to get GPS

I also wanted to be able to take it overseas If I end up going somewhere and you can't do that with Verizon.

You do not have to have a 3G unit to get GPS. there are a lot of people that have been using the non-3G units with a blue-tooth gps puck and available software. However, If taking overseas is a goal, then the 3g units are the way to go.

You do not have to have a 3G unit to get GPS. there are a lot of people that have been using the non-3G units with a blue-tooth gps puck and available software. However, If taking overseas is a goal, then the 3g units are the way to go.

Thanks for clarifying. I did read that, just wanted the GPS built in. Should have said that.

Well,I went ahead and bought ram mount that loud and anthony have. I have a nice road trip this weekend for labor day so I will able to check out the topographic maps and navi features. it ill be a pretty twisty mountain drive. So the 3D topographic maps will be nice to watch

Last edited:
I did download GPS Drive HD and Scenic Map*your region here* and so far they are excellent. I have yet to drive with them but just sitting on the couch the apps are very cool with more features than I can probably use for a while.

I have 15 days to see if I like Verizon (15 days to return iPad to swap out for AT&T). ATT has a little bit faster 3G in Atlanta but it's very spotty. Whereas Verizon is excellent coverage but not as quick. I have the 1GB plan for the first month to see speed and coverage than I will be going to the 5GB/Month plan.

The App you want is Motion X GPS HD. It's the one for off road. Drive is great for turn by turn nav by the way it's just not set up like GPS HD.

RobRed said:
The App you want is Motion X GPS HD. It's the one for off road. Drive is great for turn by turn nav by the way it's just not set up like GPS HD.

That is the one that i have. I'm can't wait to try it out next trip

Glad I could start a trend :)

The 3G model iPad is nice in that since the GPS is built in you dont have to worry about powering/charging the puck. Additionally the iPad BT receiver is free for other tasks like audio streaming or using a keyboard.

Anthony.L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom