Let's play a game... spot the mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've already static tested the mount... I used a heat gun at 135 degrees and I used a small force meter at 25lbs and the mount hasn't budged. The 3M tape I'm using is very strong. I realize that you guys would have screwed right into the dash or found an excuse to use a welder but lets see how this works before we say it wont :)

I wont be leaving the iPad on the dash if I'm not in the car so I dont think heat soak on the device will be an issue.

I'll have a chance to test offroad in about a week so I'll let you know.

Garmin's and other GPS devices are now outdated...

My new setup... It's a Motorla Atrix phone running Android. It can be a cell and also dock in the car to run GPS for free with Google Maps. Live updates, traffic etc...
car dock.jpg

My new setup... It's a Motorla Atrix phone running Android. It can be a cell and also dock in the car to run GPS for free with Google Maps. Live updates, traffic etc...

Droid NAV is pretty good for street use. I've used my EVO for some NAV and really like it. But there is no substitute for 10" screen space :)

You don't need a 10" screen unless you are blind and do not have a robot lady telling you where to turn.

The 3G iPad is the only one that has the GPS hardware in it, but you don't need the 3G service activated to use it. You can use an app with preloaded maps, tether it to your smart phone or poach some nearby wifi.

but without the GPS you just have... a map.

You don't need a 10" screen unless you are blind and do not have a robot lady telling you where to turn.

You cant argue my point - having more information at hand always trumps less. You dont NEED a 10 inch screen but it sure is nice to have.

but without the GPS you just have... a map.

True, but I think a different point was being made. You dont have to have 3G service activated on the 3G iPad to use the GPS. The accuracy is improved if you do since you will have AGPS mode but it's not required.

YTrue, but I think a different point was being made. You dont have to have 3G service activated on the 3G iPad to use the GPS. The accuracy is improved if you do since you will have AGPS mode but it's not required.

Gotcha. I had just been reading about tethering on the MotionX website and was thinking from a different perspective. Too bad those dang 3G Pads are $$$!

aGPS is useless when you are up in the mountains. Even on the street with cell towers in reach all it does is increase the lock time on the satellites. I've found the GPS locks in fast on the iPad and never left waiting very long.

You absolutely want the Wifi + 3G model of the iPad1/2. The combined cellular/GPS chipset, regardless of cell service activated or not, is more than worth the price increase. Then once you actually try out the 3G you will never turn back. Having instant internet access around town on the iPad is VERY handy. Remember the beauity of the 3G on the iPad is it requires zero contract, is month to month, and can be activated/deactivated at any time by you directly on the iPad.

I know lots of people who use the wifi only tethered to smartphones or dedicated hotspots but it's just not the same since you are now carrying yet another device in your pocket/car.

Shopping for a iPad on a budget, then buy a factory refurb from the online Apple store. Also if you have a BestBuy and/or Apple local they always have turn-ins/refurbs/etc in stock for a deal.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=OTY2ODY4NQ

Angry? No, it's the intarweb. Right? Yes.

I was just teasing - I know you wouldn't get angry over something so trivial.

aGPS is useless when you are up in the mountains. Even on the street with cell towers in reach all it does is increase the lock time on the satellites. I've found the GPS locks in fast on the iPad and never left waiting very long.
Yep. Absolutely true. AGPS does however provide additional accuracy in complex terrestrial conditions such as high rise and covered terrain.

You absolutely want the Wifi + 3G model of the iPad1/2. The combined cellular/GPS chipset, regardless of cell service activated or not, is more than worth the price increase. Then once you actually try out the 3G you will never turn back. Having instant internet access around town on the iPad is VERY handy. Remember the beauity of the 3G on the iPad is it requires zero contract, is month to month, and can be activated/deactivated at any time by you directly on the iPad.

I know lots of people who use the wifi only tethered to smartphones or dedicated hotspots but it's just not the same since you are now carrying yet another device in your pocket/car.

Shopping for a iPad on a budget, then buy a factory refurb from the online Apple store. Also if you have a BestBuy and/or Apple local they always have turn-ins/refurbs/etc in stock for a deal.

Good points

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=OTY2ODY4NQ[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
How do the MotionX (or other iPad aps) compare with the likes of a Garmin 25k topo? Good quality? Are all of the trails shown? Nothing drives me more nuts than to be on a road that's not shown and then have to guess how to connect with the one leading back to the highway. Breadcrumbs aren't always the shortest route and it's usually at the end of the day when you're just ready to hit the highway.

Thanks for the heads up, I downloaded it last night, and it is pretty nice. I will have to go drive around and test out.

There are ways to use a non 3g ipad for navigating. And there are a few discussions over on expo portal about the different programs and ways to set up the Ipad. For me, I am waiting for the next generation of this:
Pioneer AppRadio™ Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
to see how it works and how the actual reviews go. For me this is the best solution. Less clutter in the car and I can (in theory) do everything I want.

Currently I am using my Droid phone with Backcountry Navigator and it has performed beyond my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom