Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

However, I’m more of a reflector oven pizza camping cook.
8DF9CE01-80E7-429D-A8DC-9BF88039052D.jpeg

Also my parts have been stuck in Troutdale, OR for a couple of days.
ACC02C03-64AD-46A8-B7BF-A8F7EFA89F0A.png

We’ve got the same thing here in Battle Ground area. Too bad my cruiser is in the garage on Jack stands undergoing surgery too. I should be out having fun in this snow up in the Gifford Pinchot Forest or winching Subaru's from the ditch for cash.

Last edited:
Cuz
We’ve got the same thing here in Battle Ground area. Too bad my cruiser is in the garage on Jack stands undergoing surgery too. I should be out having fun in this snow up in the Gifford Pinchot Forest or winching Subaru's from the ditch for cash.
That sound like a good time!

Well I got my passenger seat gears pressed on and reassembled this morning, but when I got everyt(ign back together not much happened. My passenger seat has this slight movement like the motor is locked up, but forward or backwards it’s not able to spin. So I disassembled the seat again and took the motor out to see if it would function without any load. It did briefly then stopped. I though maybe the old mangy grease was clogging things up, but not I’m actually concerned that my motor is gasping it’s last breath.

I did some searching on the motors but the best info I could find was from @NLXTACY in post #1112, October 2020
Wits' End Turbo Test Mule #3- no cartwheeling allowed'
Builds - Wits' End Turbo Test Mule #3- no cartwheeling allowed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wits-end-turbo-test-mule-3-no-cartwheeling-allowed.1137316/post-13461887

This post is about disassembling the motor and identifying a thermal switch issue. I can’t tell if this is what I have going on, but either way, unless cleaning out any residual plastic from the old gears and grease, it looks like the passenger seat is not going to be moveable. I did do some pricing on these guys, about $440 from Toyota, or currently $650-$900 on eBay. 🤮 I cannot find any aftermarket motors for the Toyota. The cost of a motor for the passenger side is too much for our budget given how it’s not really critical for function, unlike the driver side, which also needs the gear job. I’ll bring the motor into the house tomorrow and disassemble it on kitchen table while my wife is at work, ill take some photos and seeif I can’t track down the issue. I don‘t know much about motors, but Ill probably know a little bit more when I take it apart...

Well I got my passenger seat gears pressed on and reassembled this morning, but when I got everyt(ign back together not much happened. My passenger seat has this slight movement like the motor is locked up, but forward or backwards it’s not able to spin. So I disassembled the seat again and took the motor out to see if it would function without any load. It did briefly then stopped. I though maybe the old mangy grease was clogging things up, but not I’m actually concerned that my motor is gasping it’s last breath.

I did some searching on the motors but the best info I could find was from @NLXTACY in post #1112, October 2020
Wits' End Turbo Test Mule #3- no cartwheeling allowed'
Builds - Wits' End Turbo Test Mule #3- no cartwheeling allowed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wits-end-turbo-test-mule-3-no-cartwheeling-allowed.1137316/post-13461887

This post is about disassembling the motor and identifying a thermal switch issue. I can’t tell if this is what I have going on, but either way, unless cleaning out any residual plastic from the old gears and grease, it looks like the passenger seat is not going to be moveable. I did do some pricing on these guys, about $440 from Toyota, or currently $650-$900 on eBay. 🤮 I cannot find any aftermarket motors for the Toyota. The cost of a motor for the passenger side is too much for our budget given how it’s not really critical for function, unlike the driver side, which also needs the gear job. I’ll bring the motor into the house tomorrow and disassemble it on kitchen table while my wife is at work, ill take some photos and seeif I can’t track down the issue. I don‘t know much about motors, but Ill probably know a little bit more when I take it apart...
You can probably find some clapped out seats from someone that replaced them, for free.

You can probably find some clapped out seats from someone that replaced them, for free.
This is what I’m thinking. I’ll post up in the classified section at some point.

Snow is melting outside and parts are supposedly inbound today, so maybe I get to enjoy driving my Land Cruiser again.

Ok I opened up the motor. I found some chunks off of what I believe are the brushes when I pulled it all apart. It all spins pretty easily by hand.
B6AA4BE6-0DDB-4856-B90B-2FACF56A2EDD.jpeg
EE72A3BC-73D7-46A6-B20C-340E2B196F44.jpeg

I put it back together and it runs for about 1.5 seconds it then stops. I took out the gear and ran it again and same thing only it ran for about 2 seconds. The motor just doesn’t want to operate. I’m not sure if the busted brushes are a symptom of the failure, or the cause of it. Regardless it isn’t serviceable by my, and from what I’ve learned nobody has tried to fix this part when it quits. So the seat goes back in and isn’t moving until I scrounge up another motor. What a bummer.

Ok, my driveway melted out, my parts arrived and I almost have the LC back together. I have everything bolted up except the tailpipe, as I ran out of fresh bolts...I apparently ordered a bunch of M8 bolts, so I have all these flange nuts and nothing to thread into them. I’ll grab a couple tomorrow at the local auto parts store. I happily moved my O2 sensors to the former PAIR location. I’ll grab a cork or something for the exposed hole in the air cleaner.

I’ll post up a photo of my work once I know it doesn’t leak and it’s all done. Despite ordering my gaskets from my vin number Im not convinced that they are all the right ones. But once I get it fired up I’ll test for leaks. Hopefully things seal up pretty well. Removing my leaky PAIR state should improve my O2 sensor readings, and my low idle...if not I’ll chase down the vacuum system for issues.

Ok, the exhaust saga seems to be over. Glad for that. I repaired my driver seat gears and it now moves forwards and backwards. That’s a new feature since I’ve owned this rig...I like it.

unfortunately, the truck still seems to have its very low idle...about 400-450 rpm. I haven’t driven it around so maybe the ECU will “relearn” and improve things, but I suspect that my idle is related to the vacuum system. I do have the FSM, and it appears I will be doing some evening reading. No codes yet, but I’m going to take it for a spin once my kids finish their second breakfast...it’s Saturday after all and they may possibly be hobbits.

Was your battery disconnected recently? You remind me that it’s time for my first lunch.
Ok, the exhaust saga seems to be over. Glad for that. I repaired my driver seat gears and it now moves forwards and backwards. That’s a new feature since I’ve owned this rig...I like it.

unfortunately, the truck still seems to have its very low idle...about 400-450 rpm. I haven’t driven it around so maybe the ECU will “relearn” and improve things, but I suspect that my idle is related to the vacuum system. I do have the FSM, and it appears I will be doing some evening reading. No codes yet, but I’m going to take it for a spin once my kids finish their second breakfast...it’s Saturday after all and they may possibly be hobbits.

Was your battery disconnected recently? You remind me that it’s time for my first lunch.
Yes, battery was disconnected for a few days during the exhaust repair. Hoping the timing will get better. Lunch imminent.

Yes, battery was disconnected for a few days during the exhaust repair. Hoping the timing will get better. Lunch imminent.
By timing I actually mean idle. I am unable to type while my kid’s talk to me!

I admire your persistence, "can-do" attitude, and possibly the longest baseline project in Land Cruiser history :) I'm outside 90% of the time I'm not at work and contemplating how to continue my baseline. I keep making excuses to not start just yet..."I have a small trip to the beach cottages planned in March", "I take leave in April/May", "The cruiser is too fun to not drive", "Maybe I'll rip it apart when my wife and kids are in CONUS for a month"....on and on.
I'd like to look into getting O2 sensors and perhaps relocating them after deleting the PAIR...I have a code 25 and 26 which after I cleaned out one O2 sensor the code 26 disappeared (for now).

Anyway, keep up the great work, I enjoy reading this thread.

Ok, my idle settled out and is now around 600. Not the perfect 650, but heaps better than 400 which was where we started this morning. The copper antiseize was smoking like crazy because I forgot to wipe off all the excess, family in the minivan next to me was looking concerned about the wisps of smoke coming out from my hood. 🙃. Dude was probably like “glad I have this minivan instead of that about-to-catch-on-fire-land-rover/ jeep-SUV-thingy-with-the-monster-truck-tires”

I picked up a rubber bung at the hardware store and filled the hole on the air cleaner left by the PAIR system. So that’s a wrap for now. I’ll take the LC on a photo shoot soon since I’ve been lazy about posting photos...mostly since taking photos under the rig while dealing with the exhaust is challenging for me.:flipoff2:

I admire your persistence, "can-do" attitude, and possibly the longest baseline project in Land Cruiser history :) I'm outside 90% of the time I'm not at work and contemplating how to continue my baseline. I keep making excuses to not start just yet..."I have a small trip to the beach cottages planned in March", "I take leave in April/May", "The cruiser is too fun to not drive", "Maybe I'll rip it apart when my wife and kids are in CONUS for a month"....on and on.
I'd like to look into getting O2 sensors and perhaps relocating them after deleting the PAIR...I have a code 25 and 26 which after I cleaned out one O2 sensor the code 26 disappeared (for now).

Anyway, keep up the great work, I enjoy reading this thread.
These are kind words, thanks. I initially thought my baseline project would last awhile, but since it’s my first cruiser I’m learning everything as I go. I don’t have a background in mechanical engineering snd nobody in my family and none of my friends work in their own cars...so I’m venturing away from the familiar.

If it wasn’t so expensive I’d probably have tackled all the “little things” that I'm currently living with right now, but I’ve taken the approach to fix things when they break or interfere with fun or safety.

I think you’re right that these are really fun to drive, so having them down for repairs is a drag! I can tell I’m headed in the right direction when my wife and kids say..”man I hope those parts get here, I miss riding in the Land Cruiser.” And it’s true...I was really happy to be zipping around today.

Oh, I forgot to mention my exhaust whistle is gone! Walker muffler, and expensive Toyota exhaust gaskets solved that.:cool:

I thought I’d post up a photo of my PAIR air cleaner solution.
7FDFFCB4-D41C-4A33-88C0-8E83DDFB022A.jpeg

It’s rubber bung from my local hardware store. They have a cork and bing section. I’m lucky to have a local resource like this one.
106B29BE-F80B-4F51-8FF0-B71E379C9E34.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom