Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I’m waiting to hear from LSO I’m trying to figure out a direction to go in for finishing the system. I think my most preferred system would be Monstaliner roll on truck bed finish in a dark gray to match the interior. I was checking out the trekk box finish and I really liked that. However it’s expensive and if I hate it there is no going back since it’s really durable as far as I can tell.

The other direction that I’m going for is painting the system with and using marine carpet on top. It should be pretty durable, and easy to refinish if need be. I looked into the seadeck type foam boat deck, but I think I’d destroy it shoving my kit and dog back there, not to mention my kids who despite their size are pretty tough on everything.

I am going to avoid anything that’s close to a clear finish. I want to avoid the glare, and I want the drawers to be relatively discrete when it’s parked at the trailhead.

Ok, I had a brainstorm. Since I ordered paddle lock drawer fronts I had 2 spare drawer fronts to mess with...so I did.
EDBA0944-83B9-4E3B-A91F-BAE9FF6346CD.jpeg

I used the existing holes to mate the back and front for marking my new cuts. Then I setup my janky panel saw and lined things up carefully.
044B88E5-85C9-43B4-ABDC-5914AA501308.jpeg

And then I took a deep breath (all my 9-95 respirators are pressed into other work at the moment) and cut. Turned out ok!
D4BB8951-6919-4A21-9CAA-89BC5BC045F9.jpeg

5C74563D-0118-4681-8BCC-7A67E7382D86.jpeg

It’s super close, but 1mm larger, I’m thinking the tolerances should be fine for fitting the drawer in the case. If not I know how to sand...Onward!!

@lp2k, Thanks for this plan. I’ll do the required reading. I’m trying to get things ready for a long sojourn in Eastern Oregon in April.

I had no idea they were hard to come by, but I did see that kit from wit’s end. I have quite a wish list from @NLXTACY his website. That dude has had an extra rough 2020. If I was more flush for cash I’d snag one of his quarter panel mounts. I have done businesses with Wit’s end before and they are great.

drawer project has been put on hold for the evening, cooking, parenting etc. etc.taking priority. Land Cruiser projects are no fun if it means a crabby family.:meh:

Edit: lol, rare for me, It was very hard for me to locate it but couldn’t find it. Found out only 93 came with it. Rock auto has it sold out for some time now and dealership is too expensive so do not quote me on rarity 🤣

Second drawer done..
B42608B9-328C-41E9-ACA2-824B4C6A8FB2.jpeg

Next the case...and slides.

Ok, the car and slides are really straight forward a d make nice use of the extruded aluminum and t-nuts. You build it from the bottom up. Here is the base ready for the sides of the case...
B6B2F073-B6BE-4D47-A332-DD9B417D3A13.jpeg

Next, you bios the slides which for the Reef Drawers, are uhmw plastic strips with counter sink holes for the machine screw and t-nut system.
6A4D6262-6C39-44AE-8289-852E5419DB87.jpeg

sides slide into the bottom of the case after adjusting the extruded aluminum pieces to act as the drawer stops.
DD566F9A-D09A-470D-9980-9A5AFD61EBC6.jpeg

This part took quite a bit of time and I needed my hands so I don’t have a pick of adjusting them. Next on goes the top pieces.
33B192CA-2214-4CA3-83B7-AC410ACE5B8D.jpeg

Then tight the screws top and bottom and the main case and drawers are done.
B16F26E0-C995-4041-92D1-28D7A239F962.jpeg

Next step build the wings then prep for finishing....

Wings built! Test fit before finish prep and finishing.
804A3CC0-E8FB-4A9E-8B06-31DDC77B164E.jpeg

The voids on either side of the drawers have a trim piece, which is now attached. I have them back out and I’m faced with decisions about paint, color carpet etc.

Ok I’m pretty sure I’ve decided on my finish. I’m going to paint the case and drawer fronts a dark gray or black, and leave the insides of the drawer with either a clear finish or a very light color so I can see the contents more easily. Or I’ll do the entire project in one color to save time and money. I’m pretty sure I’d like them to be porch/ deck paint for the extra durability and ease of refinishing. I’m staying away from dyes and lacquer since I want them to off-gas quickly and not be extra stinky since my kids and spouse will complain-and rightfully so.

im still planning on outdoor carpet for the top, since that will likely be the most durable, given my kids and dog. I’ve been reading drawer build threads obsessively this forum, as well as on expo.

Finally, I’m concerned about my unheated garage hindering my ability to properly finish these drawers. so I just need to be extra diligent about reading all the various application guides for paint. Finishing is WAY more overwhelming than building and assembling, but I knew that already!

Painting has begun! In an effort to keep things straight forward, I’ve decided to do the entire drawer system in exterior semi-gloss paint. It’s easy to apply, it’s not super stinky like most clear finishes and it’s easy to touch up.

The top will be covered in marine/ indoor -outdoor carpet, either from Lowe’s/ HD or West Marine—I’m undecided.

Here is the first coat
2CA5803E-F507-402D-A970-97F8C1C6125B.jpeg

Behr Exterior “Carbon” in semi-gloss. Here’s a photo for my reference when I need a can of touch up...
1E71AC47-51E8-418D-A927-E9F7211DE086.jpeg

I’ll do a second coat tonight, and hopefully a first coat on top, drawers and wings tomorrow, but with two kids in Zoom school who knows...

Mail call:
98FAFCD5-0FF3-4740-BD47-EE9DB0A27BE9.jpeg

I bought this off of Ebay, had no idea it would be from partsouq...it does appear to be genuine Toyota, I bought one of these a couple of years ago, but it’s obviously repacked so it might not be. I would have bought from @NLXTACY on wits end, but he was out of stock, I like supporting that guy. Anyhow, it’s not like I’m shipping this back to the U.A.E. so on it goes.

Drawer case got a second coat coat last night. Top will get a coat as soon as my kids get settled into their zoom meetings.

Forgot to mention that last week my rig has a horrible stutter at a stop light, then threw code 25-lean mixture. I freaked out for awhile then determined that my exhaust has had a new rattle and maybe it wiggled enough to leak air in snd cause the O2 sensors to not read correctly. I found a rubber exhaust cushion/hanger/mount that was falling apart. I cleared the code and it hasent replicated. So hopefully we solve this very intermittent leak and the annoying rattle. Back to drawers soon...

The Land Cruiser received a gift in the mail today...
B3640C8F-3278-44CE-9A28-4528DE68E1C1.jpeg

They have that fresh paint smell! I pulled the trigger on these when I noticed a Black Friday sale. I’m not a huge fan of how they look, but they hold lots of different sized bottles. I’m hopeful this means less occurrences when full water bottles drain into the carpet....creating tropical conditions in the way to and from skiing. Shipping was quick and free and I got $18 discounted.
BCED5F73-F6E7-4DB1-92E3-DBC45E99042A.jpeg

I’ll mount them up this afternoon, and they will get a test run on Thursday when we go skiing...they are way better than what I currently have I’m just hoping they are sturdy enough to hold up to my kids...

I did more painting today, wings and trim pieces and drawer fronts. Slowly moving towards completing this project.

I also fixed my rear wing arm. One of the 10mm ball studs for my 2 can holder arm was wobbling in its hole. It was possibly cross threaded. The strut was also adjusted poorly and the strut was acting as the stop for the swing. So I got a new stud ad re-tapped the hole and all seems to be well.
04DE09A0-33B4-436C-BF12-B03A1264A34F.jpeg

Nearly done! I finished the painting/finishing work and am now on to the final parts. I’m hoping to grab carpet and 1/2” aluminum channel at the big box store tonight or tomorrow.
07CD6E74-9DC1-457F-964C-3D2041E292F5.jpeg

Drawers are finished in blonde shellac. I threw a coat of furniture wax over them as well. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.
5D543169-C77D-4EC8-BDCA-A1C8A75D9895.jpeg

next up: tie downs points for securing the drawer!

Last edited:
I finished up the drawers the other day. I covered them in outdoor carpet from Home Depot. 6’ of carpet cost me a little over $12. I also bought a couple of pieces 3/4” x 1/2” aluminum angle for the front edge of the plywood. I used 3M super 77 spray adhesive to secure the carpet.the wings open really cleanly.
1FD565DD-3D60-4D63-BD09-100B320627ED.jpeg

1D54DF95-E125-4648-B78F-5787DE83D5EF.jpeg
I I also installed two new single point L track tie down points near the tail gate to secure the box with LSO’s nifty ratchet straps. I was able to use the Land Cruiser’s tie down points just behind the 2nd row seats.
20FD0984-334F-485F-9BB8-1C3611AD1F60.jpeg

This was such a fun project. I really like how it works, how it looks and the process of building it. I’m a little sad to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom