Builds Lemonade - 1967 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Case dissasembled and cleaned up...standing and scrubbing at the parts washer for a few hours makes me want one of those automatic dishwasher types. Once the gears / internal parts dried, I slathered them on 90w.

Gonna blast and maybe paint the case tomorrow.

24hrs later and got me some glass beaded transfer case goodness! I was blown away with how clean they came. Was going to paint them Rustoleum hammered silver but now might just clear them.

Is there a spray can clear that's better than the others?

Was out of town for a few days and have been jonesing to work on the truck! Spent some time cleaning up my shop and then pulled the trans and bell housing. Separating the trans was a bitch...found out why. Pilot bearing was frozen on the input shaft. I'm guessing this is the first time it's been pulled.

Hope to drop the flywheel off at the machine shop one day this week. I plan to continue cleaning the drivetrain, pull the oil pan and side cover while I wait. Engine will get new paint, gaskets (oil pan, timing cover, side cover, valve cover, intake / exhaust, coolant housing, etc.), plugs, hoses, water pump, rear main seal, new clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing. Essentially everything except head gasket. I've seen nothing so far that leads me to go deeper.

@S4Cruiser this is really looking great. I knew there was beauty under all that dirt and grime every time I saw that truck on the yard. It just needed someone like you to make it pretty again!

Spraymax 2K is a great clear for chemical/weather resistance. Never thought to use on cases....perhaps it could work? ~$20 a can.

Picked up a couple cas of this and you're right, it's good stuff! Two coats on these parts.

Might start reassembling the case tomorrow.

I've been slowly but surely cleaning and then blasting parts. Having a blast cabinet is so much nicer then wire wheeling all these parts like I did on my grey truck.

Also pulled the top cover off the transmission. The gears look pretty good compared to some that I've seen before. Does anyone see an issue with running these as is? I've got a gasket and seal kit but could not find a rebuild kit for this year (might not be looking hard enough though).

I will need another inner shift fork though (#29 in the SOR image). This one looks as if it was not aligned correctly. Would this be caused by not tightening the plate that moves back and forth (#14). If someone has a top plate or just this part for sale (#29), please PM me.

image.png

Also need a non bent to hell rocker oil tube. This one could work if it was the last one on the planet but might as well replace while the side cover is off. Please PM me if you have one that you'd part with!

Past couple weeks have been scrape, scrub, blast...repeat. I started some painting yesterday. I'm getting close to being ready to paint the block and head of the F135...then I can start reassembling the drive train. I struggled getting the oil pan off...reminder to myself...make sure all bolts are removed...amazing how much easier that makes it!

Was able to find a better oil tube and another trans top cover!

Hey @S4Cruiser, did you know Terrain Tamer do a rebuild kit for the J30? There's a bunch of dealer's down here but you can try a mate of mine I always go through. Name's Paul Read and is on social media as Mr. Landcruiser. If you go that way tell him I sent you. Dan

Hey @S4Cruiser, did you know Terrain Tamer do a rebuild kit for the J30? There's a bunch of dealer's down here but you can try a mate of mine I always go through. Name's Paul Read and is on social media as Mr. Landcruiser. If you go that way tell him I sent you. Dan

That's good to know! I had looked at Cruiser Brother's site ( GBK1 3 Speed Transmission Overhaul Kit ) and they listed a rebuild for the 3spd but it was specified as 10/71 - 9/73. Based on this I thought it wouldn't be applicable to my '67. I will give @orangefj45 a ring to see if it would work for me.

I 'attempted' to remove the crank pulley / harmonic balancer from my f135...which pulled the threads from one of the bolt holes :bang:.

What are smart options here? Drill and tap to m12x1.25 or ???

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you replacing the harmonic balancer? You could always just weld some all thread to it instead

I wasn't planning on it unless required for some reason. Looks like 7/16 is the next step up. I'll get a tap and try that with heat.

Balancer is off :bounce:. I was able to get a nut on the bolt from the backside :confused:. A little heat and it slowly released.

Pulled timing cover and the timing gears look great. I was surprised by the 'washers' on the two 14mm head cover bolts. I think I saw the same on another F135, maybe @Jason Reed build? I wonder if they were oem or a Toyota based remedy for those two bolts leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom