"Legion" my 19+ year 1969 Fj55 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

I made some plywood templates during planning phase, cut the final brackets out of 1/4" steel, and then hired co-worker to weld up the front bumper. Today finished welding on the two upper frame rail mounting plates and solid bottom plate that bolts to lower frame rail. I have a winch mounting plate that will bolt to this lower plate and bolts thru bumper to mount the Roller Fairlead. Templated the mounting bolt holes but haven't drilled them yet.

Rail Mount 2.jpg

Want to retain the OEM hooks so going to use the rear mounting points thru the hooks and then one bolt thru each frame rail up front. Put some red circles on photo to show idea.
Rail Mount 3.jpg

Final results for the day. Still need to drill mounting bolt holes, wall in the winch cable cut-out that goes thru the bumper, and weld back in the receiver hitch lower so doesn't interfere with Fairlead.

Overall very pleased with the results and starting with the Heep Factory bumper gave semi-OEM feel I might not have gotten if scratch built. I recall a Mud Member years ago built a bumper out of BOWFLEX weight machine parts and I vowed never to go that scratch built.

Final Mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Tested front axel articulation on way back home. (Didn't think to use the forklift at work)

Really need to invest in some new rubber as running 18 year old tires. Luckily was stored in-doors so no sun rot but kept both hands on wheel while doing 65 on the highway.
Articulation.jpg

Man, I don't know where I was, but missed your whole write up. The wagon looks great! She looks ready for the 2021 Pig Party.
Thanks Ron. You actually provided me with the WINDOW templates to make my front and rear door windows after the first glass shop went out of business and trashed my originals. At Pig Party 2021 I will bring you a Budweiser Briefcase as payback. Looking forward to South Dakota.

Green Pigs have to stick together.

Thanks Ron. You actually provided me with the WINDOW templates to make my front and rear door windows after the first glass shop went out of business and trashed my originals. At Pig Party 2021 I will bring you a Budweiser Briefcase as payback. Looking forward to South Dakota.

Green Pigs have to stick together.
did you take my 76 body and chassis from me for $1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom