LED interior lighting upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Having owned several Toyota/Lexus vehicles, I've always thought they dropped the ball on the interior lighting. They are just not bright enough, especially compared to competitors. The 200-series has a lot of lighting, but the weak incandescent bulbs need improvement. No idea if they have upgraded the '16+ trucks, my project is based on my '11.

I know about PFran and his kits, but he doesn't have a complete easy-to-buy setup for the 200 (yet?). Maybe in process. I've been using superbrightleds.com for many years now, I've upgraded every bulb in my '87 to LEDs and they were very helpful, and they sell a good product with lots of selection options. One thing I really like is they sell bulbs in many colors, as I really don't like using Cool White (6500K) in interior lighting, the blueish tint is kinda too bright and "glarey". I prefer Warm White (3000K) for dome lights, but Natural White (4100K) for task lighting like the reading lamps. I did a bunch of research both by pulling the lenses off the 200 plus using their vehicle bulb locator tool, and here's what I came up with for my upgrade:

2017-06-15_105423.jpg

Note I used Cool White bulbs in my doors, I want them as bright as possible, and being down low the color is not objectionable. Results after installing are excellent, MUCH brighter lighting inside the truck now, but the color is just right, looks natural. I still haven't figured out how to replace the glove box light though. The LEDS work just fine with the fade up/down too.

Best tool for doing this is a plastic pry tool, NOT a screwdriver. A metal blade will cause damage and gouging in the soft plastic of the interior parts.

Doing the reverse lights is a little tricky, you only need a 10mm nut driver to take off 3 little nuts then you have to just gently but firmly yank on the light unit to get it to pop out of the upper tailgate. Be prepared to find lots of dirt behind there, bring a damp MF towel with you. I didn't do a comparative analysis, but these bulbs seem much brighter than the stock ones.

Hope you find this useful. BTW, they are having a 15% of "Father's Day" sale this weekend, just use the code DAD17 at checkout. No, I don't work for them, no affiliation.

Having owned several Toyota/Lexus vehicles, I've always thought they dropped the ball on the interior lighting. They are just not bright enough, especially compared to competitors. The 200-series has a lot of lighting, but the weak incandescent bulbs need improvement. No idea if they have upgraded the '16+ trucks, my project is based on my '11.

I know about PFran and his kits, but he doesn't have a complete easy-to-buy setup for the 200 (yet?). Maybe in process. I've been using superbrightleds.com for many years now, I've upgraded every bulb in my '87 to LEDs and they were very helpful, and they sell a good product with lots of selection options. One thing I really like is they sell bulbs in many colors, as I really don't like using Cool White (6500K) in interior lighting, the blueish tint is kinda too bright and "glarey". I prefer Warm White (3000K) for dome lights, but Natural White (4100K) for task lighting like the reading lamps. I did a bunch of research both by pulling the lenses off the 200 plus using their vehicle bulb locator tool, and here's what I came up with for my upgrade:

View attachment 1479243

Note I used Cool White bulbs in my doors, I want them as bright as possible, and being down low the color is not objectionable. Results after installing are excellent, MUCH brighter lighting inside the truck now, but the color is just right, looks natural. I still haven't figured out how to replace the glove box light though. The LEDS work just fine with the fade up/down too.

Best tool for doing this is a plastic pry tool, NOT a screwdriver. A metal blade will cause damage and gouging in the soft plastic of the interior parts.

Doing the reverse lights is a little tricky, you only need a 10mm nut driver to take off 3 little nuts then you have to just gently but firmly yank on the light unit to get it to pop out of the upper tailgate. Be prepared to find lots of dirt behind there, bring a damp MF towel with you. I didn't do a comparative analysis, but these bulbs seem much brighter than the stock ones.

Hope you find this useful. BTW, they are having a 15% of "Father's Day" sale this weekend, just use the code DAD17 at checkout. No, I don't work for them, no affiliation.
Nice list, took me two orders from them to get it right, I'd either get the wrong color from what I ordered the first time, or the wrong # of bulbs. Plus..I think I bought one for the rear dome that didn't really fit w/out significant motivation. But I pretty much went w/ the same setup as you did.

Huh. I've ordered from them many times, I don't recall ever having an issue. One time they did recommend a bulb for the rear cargo light in my pickup, but it was really dim. They told me to just keep it, sent me a different one (gratis) to try which worked much better.

Yes, that bulb in the rear dome/cargo light is a tight fit, but it does fit without modification. The hardest part is getting the lens off without breaking any of the tabs, actually.

I've also used quite a few of those "Little Dot" bulbs, they are really neat, perfect for interior illumination in small places. I'll be using them in the rear drawers once I get a set installed.

Huh. I've ordered from them many times, I don't recall ever having an issue. One time they did recommend a bulb for the rear cargo light in my pickup, but it was really dim. They told me to just keep it, sent me a different one (gratis) to try which worked much better.

Yes, that bulb in the rear dome/cargo light is a tight fit, but it does fit without modification. The hardest part is getting the lens off without breaking any of the tabs, actually.

I've also used quite a few of those "Little Dot" bulbs, they are really neat, perfect for interior illumination in small places. I'll be using them in the rear drawers once I get a set installed.
Oh no trust me wasn't their issue, the issue was me and placing the orders online, now if I had just talked to someone!!!

Just an FYI. When I used no name brand leds from eBay I had static on my radio and my keyless remote had issues recognizing when I would touch the handle in the winter time or when it rained. I swapped all of my inside bulbs to Philips brand leds and the problem went away. Most of which were just 194s. I used 1 cree 31mm from Amazon (Yorkim 31mm Cree LED 6W White LED Bulb, No Error, No Polarity, Bright Light (Pack of 2) Amazon.com: Yorkim 31mm Cree LED 6W White LED Bulb, No Error, No Polarity, Bright Light (Pack of 2): Automotive) and stuffed it in the 3rd row

The 194 bulb itself just pulls out. If you're talking about the plastic cover, you use a screwdriver or pry tool around the edges of the clear cover to remove it.
Thanks Chocolate. The bulb has a black retainer that twists lose not sure if that stays put and I just pull the bulb free or push and pull. I tend to break things easily. Just being cautious I guess. Or Tarded. Could be both.

DC0D6CA2-E28E-49D4-B387-0EA70CCA2F05.jpeg
Thanks for this handy guide. I went with cool bright for all, and it’s a dramatic difference in brightness. Here’s a before and after photo of the door lights.

Still can’t figure out how to replace the glove box bulb, without removing the entire thing...

View attachment 1554111 Thanks for this handy guide. I went with cool bright for all, and it’s a dramatic difference in brightness. Here’s a before and after photo of the door lights.

Still can’t figure out how to replace the glove box bulb, without removing the entire thing...
You have to remove the console knee pad, then the silver console trim, then the knee airbag, then the glove box.

It’s actually very easy, and took me about 15 minutes to disassemble and 10 minutes to put it back. But man, it’s so bright in there my wife could find anything at night. I also replaced the ash try light because I was pretty much there and I like LEDs.

You have to remove the console knee pad, then the silver console trim, then the knee airbag, then the glove box.

It’s actually very easy, and took me about 15 minutes to disassemble and 10 minutes to put it back. But man, it’s so bright in there my wife could find anything at night. I also replaced the ash try light because I was pretty much there and I like LEDs.

and which bulb would that ash tray light be?

and which bulb would that ash tray light be?
A 74 type bulb.

I like Putco LEDs, my 200 “trunk” bulb is a 10 year old Putco that won’t die. So when I bought a bulb for my glove box to see everything in there, it came with two. Figured since the glove box and ash tray use the same 74 bulb, might as well put them in both.

I realize this is an older thread, but just started changing out my dome lights with new LEDs. Weird thing is, the light closest to the passenger side doesn't work with the LED. The old light is still working and the driver side LED works, but not the passenger side. Tried multiple LEDs also. Thoughts?

15164827394291039825898703052412.jpg

15164827827262476556918623000340.jpg

Does anyone know how to replace the floor lights in an LX? I pulled the connector/bulb assembly but it looks like a one piece unit. This is the bulb that shines on your feet. Any ideas?

7EF71FD2-E1F0-4B63-8234-C86BDDECBA85.jpeg

I started update the lights to LED too.

how do you guys get the center dome light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom