Leak with hardtop on............... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The '76 got a bath today and after I noticed water on the driver and passenger side floor boards. Anyone want to venture what seal or seals are failing, or maybe even not there?? I suspect maybe the vent area on cowl but I though that vent was non functional, or cowl/lower windshield frame junction?? Any ideas appreciated

In did suspect that-ok @brian how to fix? Thanks

@ginmtb I thought those hoses were only for older models, this is a '76? To get at this seam do I need to get way up under the dash??

I had this type of leak on my '78 as well but no hardtop on it yet.................and of course it has no cowl vent

You are correct 74 and earlier for Racer's hoses. Rumor has it he may be making ones for later models. But you should have some hoses for your 76 unless the drain holes were sealed shut. My 75 has hoses that go through the tranny cover.

@ginmtb I thought those hoses were only for older models, this is a '76? To get at this seam do I need to get way up under the dash??

My '76 has hoses from the cowl vent down the firewall and out through the trans tunnel. If the passenger side is cracked or not fully attached at the cowl drain, I could see it leaking. It's likely the old seam sealer though, as others have mentioned.

Easy test would be to lay a running hose up there and look up under the dash with a flashlight for water entry points.

Here's a shot of a later model cowl vent hose solution.

IMG_7283.JPG

Ok, so I checked and I do have the two drain tubes, one on the top of each side of the tranny hump. I guess that is a good thing. I will post up some pictures when I get a chance. @brian mentioned the cowl to firewall seal, wondering if he is referring to the outside area or inside WAY up under the dash which would be virtually impossible to access???

Today I have to deal with a '01 Tundra with a water pump leak, also due for a timing belt though...............best to do both!;)

Ok, so I checked and I do have the two drain tubes, one on the top of each side of the tranny hump. I guess that is a good thing. I will post up some pictures when I get a chance. @brian mentioned the cowl to firewall seal, wondering if he is referring to the outside area or inside WAY up under the dash which would be virtually impossible to access???

Good! Now just make sure they're connected and in good shape. They can work free at the top. Also, 40 year old rubber can get tired - although these don't get any UV exposure and the heat isn't like mine that go into the engine bay.

Will try and get pics up later today

To find your leak start low spraying water and wait. Move higher and wait. No gasket on kick vents. Leak in weld on fixed cowl vent. Bad seam sealer. Tub to windshield gasket leaking in to defrost vent or other openings.

I also check inside of the gutter after getting washed/rained on for leaks that may only show when it starts to rust.

Wondering if this is the seam @brian is referring to?? First two pics. Hoses on both sides, this one is passenger
Leak1.jpg
Leak2.jpg
Leak3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom