Leak in rear quarter panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey! After some storms I saw that the quarter panel on the rear driver's side had filled up with water. The area where the jack would be was soaked. I assume it's the sliding window as I see that mentioned a lot. Is there an easy way to fix that without ripping it all out? Also, is there a good way to drain the water? I can't really get anything in there except a small hose and I don't want to suck out a gallon of rusty rain water into my mouth.

For this same reason I remove the rear quarter drain plug all winter. I plan to restore the rear windows and vents this summer.

Awesome! Where is that? :redface:

Could be window gasket but the trim piece below the sliders is a known leak spot. Pull it off. 5 dabs rtv on clips receivers. Reinstall.

Plugs are in the lowest spots. Be careful if you pull the belt molding off to apply sealant as @jfz80 suggested because the small, plastic clips break easily. They can be ordered though.

I had the same leak but mine turned out to be from the rear window washer fluid hose. The hose got pulled from the tee located in the jack area and would spray water whenever you activate the rear washer. Mine has the barn doors though, not sure if the lift up tailgate has the hose running in that area.

Could be window gasket but the trim piece below the sliders is a known leak spot. Pull it off. 5 dabs rtv on clips receivers. Reinstall.

^This is almost certain to be where the water is coming in at. You can also dab RTV on the little nubs that poke into the body from inside the truck behind the panels.

I have same leaks in my rear quarter panels. I replaced the trim molding on one side to see if it fixed it (I added silicone for good measure) and sure enough that side is dry. The other side is still getting wet.

Part numbers:

75710-60021, RF door
75720-60021, LF door
75730-60020, RR door
75740-60020, LR door
75660-60020, RH quarter
75670-60020, LH quarter

I have same leaks in my rear quarter panels. I replaced the trim molding on one side to see if it fixed it (I added silicone for good measure) and sure enough that side is dry. The other side is still getting wet.

Part numbers:

75710-60021, RF door
75720-60021, LF door
75730-60020, RR door
75740-60020, LR door
75660-60020, RH quarter
75670-60020, LH quarter
Belt molding part numbers? I have the same leak bilaterally and have looked and looked with a light and mirror and can't really pin point where it's coming from so I'm going to overhaul the whole area. It's only money.

This may help someone.
I just replaced everything except the glass on the passenger side rear quarter. It's the 2 piece sliding windows.

There is an aluminum frame that has a outer weatherstrip that wraps around it.
There is another rubber piece inside the frame that the windows slide in (window runs?).
Water will pass the glass, through the runs, through the aluminum frame and finally through the outer weatherstrip.
All by design through holes made for this at the bottom of each of these pieces.

The water should then just drain out under the moulding and down the outside of the truck.

The problem is the water is entering past the plastic clips that secure the belt moulding.
The clips, when new, have a bit of foam that seals out the water.
Once the foam seal is gone water leaks by.

As has been pointed out by others, one can seal those spots from the inside. It would be hard to see these spots but I imagine could be done.
Even better, I think, carefully pull the moulding off and then reinstall with sealant at the holes the clips go into.

My moulding had been removed for paint before I owned it. It was put back on with some permatex, but not where it counts.

Also, there are clear plastic strips with adhesive, stuck to the aluminum frame on the bottom. I suppose they let water drain out but keep water from getting in the drain holes. Hard for me explain but they are like check valves that let water out and not in.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom