Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad I have a house near old town :)

Ha! It's literally on a river. Have we really become this soft?

I'm thinking the same. No trailer and I tend to sleep in the truck, but I may bring my small tent to put some camp stuff in while on the trails. Some dispersed camping spots were posted earlier in response to my inquiry, so that could be the start of a small group. I'm also flexible and would be willing to post up with others in a spot and just take up enough space for my rig and my camp chair. Will contribute beer.

I’m in the same boat, truck camping/maybe small tent and would be interested in being near others as well.

The final countdown begins. We just sent a few important things to attendees via email: an email update, a DocuSign request, and an invitation to Sched. Please let us know via email (info@landcruiserdc.com) if you did not receive all of those items and are planning on attending the event.

And just a teaser for everyone else...

Sched Example.png

Thats me and Markuson :)

on your way down to Lake Como at the end of the Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail (LCDC #4).

DSC_9380-XL.jpg

photo by 'indycole'

I can’t remember the name of it, but a trail up that way has an outlet in some sand dunes. Anyone know the name of it? Is it on the sched?

Thats me and Markuson :)

Finally dawned on me that you meant our two trucks are in the trail teaser photo. :) My vision is a big mess unless I zoom in and around, so didn’t notice. Nice photo, as always, @indycole !

I can’t remember the name of it, but a trail up that way has an outlet in some sand dunes. Anyone know the name of it? Is it on the sched?

There's an OHV park called North Sand Hills. It's unfortunately not on the schedule for the bigger group. We had considered doing a "everybody going to the dunes" day pre-COVID but that turned out not to be an option given the restrictions. The downside is that North Sand Hills is 2.5 hrs from Fort Collins so there just wasn't a way to make it work.

Not sure if that's what you're referring to?

I applaud the top shelf organization of the information sent out today. A hat tip to those who spent time putting it together.
I echo that. Great work by organizers.

Last edited:
If anyone is like me and likes to watch videos of some of the trails before they drive them here are two of the trails listed in the itinerary.

Disclaimer: This was my first and second time ever doing any offroading. I was nervous, also had my daughter(2.5 years old) with me, which made me extra cautious(She loved it!)
Disclaimer 2: I am not internet famous and these video edits lack exactly that, editing. They are long unedited and without sound.

Vehicle setup:
Stock LX570 with ~34ish tires

Bunce School Road to Ironclads:
Note: we did the rest of Bunce and there was nothing technical on the trail. But the gopro ran out of memory.

Pole Hill - Loop one(north of main trail) then Loop two(South of main trail)

I'm looking for my video of storm mountain.

Need a little trail selection advice here. This is my first LCDC and essentially my first real off road experience in my 200. I have ATs on 17's, lift, sliders and T13 front bumper. Stock rear bumper and stock skids. I definitely have more truck than experience/skill. I want more challenge than a dirt road but my "damage tolerance" is probably on the low end. I'm not looking to tear up my rig but a scratch or dragging my rear bumper isn't going to ruin my day. I want to have fun, not high stress all day, and learn from the other drivers and get a better sense of what these vehicles can do.

So, as I have been researching the listed trails, Moody Hill to Old Flowers Road look good to me and so did Bunce School Road, Ironclads, and T-33 Crash Site. Its turned out that I can only be there for Thursday and Friday, or I may have started with an easy trail first. I understand that easy, moderate, and difficult, is always in the eye of the beholder. Just trying to get as much info/advice as possible.

Need a little trail selection advice here. This is my first LCDC and essentially my first real off road experience in my 200. I have ATs on 17's, lift, sliders and T13 front bumper. Stock rear bumper and stock skids. I definitely have more truck than experience/skill. I want more challenge than a dirt road but my "damage tolerance" is probably on the low end. I'm not looking to tear up my rig but a scratch or dragging my rear bumper isn't going to ruin my day. I want to have fun, not high stress all day, and learn from the other drivers and get a better sense of what these vehicles can do.

So, as I have been researching the listed trails, Moody Hill to Old Flowers Road look good to me and so did Bunce School Road, Ironclads, and T-33 Crash Site. Its turned out that I can only be there for Thursday and Friday, or I may have started with an easy trail first. I understand that easy, moderate, and difficult, is always in the eye of the beholder. Just trying to get as much info/advice as possible.
I think the majority of folks here have a low tolerance for damage on our 200s (not all of course). I've not run these, however from what I've read aside from the rear bumper with your setup you'll likely be fine on almost all the trails. It sounds like you might want to avoid the Ballard Road trail, and if you do Kelly Flats definitely take the bypass at "the Chutes" (and maybe "Heart Attack Hill"). Others who have run these trails multiple times can chime in as well.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. If it's still ongoing when we get there we'll swing over to Stove Prairie or another campground nearby to fill the fresh tank. I'm not beyond bathing in the river but 6 days with a family of 5 is a lot of boiling water to drink
Glad I put the Frontrunner 10+ gal tank on my rig for this trip along with a short hose with nozzle. It’s one of my favorite mods now after the last two weeks of dispersed camping on our way (slowly) to LCDC. Sounds like it’s going to come in handy there as well!

Re: trail selection there's definitely less collective knowledge among the group compared to other areas of Colorado about the trails. It's nice to have prior experience on trails, but on the flip side I'm personally looking forward to running many of these trails for the first time with a group.

This event isn't known for beating up trucks but we have seen minor damage in past events. An interesting anecdote, though, is that there isn't much of a relationship between sustained damage (or recoveries) and the green/blue/red difficulty levels in, say, the Funtreks books. Weather, the unique trail conditions each day, and distractions play as much of a role as anything else.

I agree with @linuxgod's assessment. The conditions on Ballard seem to vary a bit year-by-year and our current understanding is that the second half of the trail is pretty challenging right now with lots of ledges (hence the rear bumper recommendation) and boulders right in the center of the trail (skid rec).

Edited to add that we do not plan on running "The Chutes" obstacle on Kelly Flats. Based on our scouting/research, we're not aware of any vehicles in the 200's size class that have emerged without body damage. We'll plan on taking the alternate route. Heartattack Hill is steep and will be fine in the 200. Plus, the alternate route presents its own challenges.

Last edited:
Great work on organizing. Sched is great for these type of events!
Regarding Sched- when will it be open to select trails? I see it is currently locked for selections.
Thanks and look forward to getting some mountain air. ( its been 110F feels like temps in the Houston area lately.)

Saturday is when you can schedule I believe.

Couldnt agree more on Htown temps. Arizona was a steady 110 but with all this concrete and heat, I am already counting the days till i pull out for Colorado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom