Events/Trails LCDC 2019 - 5th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went back and pulled 2011 at Red Mountain. It had 93" at about this time and the melt began from there.

Nice! That's good intel. Let's just hope for warm weather going forward. The upside will be less dust and more flowers with the current amount of snowpack.

In case anyone is worried—
—Snow or not, surfaces are very likely to be wet in parts.

The good news is...in year 2 (my first year), we did Black Bear and most other trails in significant rain & pretty wet conditions throughout. Rocks remained grippy enough to be fine...and the stormy skies made for some truly beautiful photos.

Wet is fine. Snow on ledges could mean “audibles” as Cole said...but we’ll find plenty of great alternatives if needed.

I’m looking at the potential snow as an opportunity for a super unique Ouray experience that I wouldn’t want to miss!

:p :steer:

Maybe an excuse to bring my snowshoes?!

Maybe an excuse to bring my snowshoes?!

Or an excuse upgrade mine... (I’m too fat...footprint too small! Doh!)

:bang: :steer:

Last edited:
Hmmm ..... Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx or Nitto Grappler AT?

I have the ST Maxx on my 80. I ran the Terra Grappler on a 4R. The ST Maxx are pretty pretty good. I haven't really ran them in inclement trail conditions yet, but on pavement, I prefer them over the Nitto Terra Grappler.

I have the ST Maxx on my 80. I ran the Terra Grappler on a 4R. The ST Maxx are pretty pretty good. I haven't really ran them in inclement trail conditions yet, but on pavement, I prefer them over the Nitto Terra Grappler.

Thanks.

I have tried the Coopers on my 100. Great manners on trail and road (very pricey tho). Mostly curious for my 200 as it relates to Ouray area trails and the asphalt there and back to Houston.

Last edited:
While we'll continue to use email as the official communications channel for the event (not everyone is a heavy Mud user), I would like to solicit any questions y'all have about trails or any of the information you've received so far. We'll answer those questions in the next email. Feel free to send me a DM or just ask publicly if you'd like.

We had a guy in year 2 that was fully stock, street tires, and side steps still on. The steps bent. If he had removed them (super quick to remove on the LC), he would have been fine.

That was me! Got stuck twice with the street tires, lol.
200sOuray_MFrederick-2796_28845676031_o.jpg
200sOuray_MFrederick-2940_28636276070_o.jpg

On a completely different subject, am I the only idiot that can’t post an avatar pic on sched? I’ve tried from iPhone, iPad and even a real computer, no dice:(

I see some of you have been successful, so I know it’s possible :bang:

On a completely different subject, am I the only idiot that can’t post an avatar pic on sched? I’ve tried from iPhone, iPad and even a real computer, no dice:(

I had to use a different browser. I think it could be Adblock or another plugin that’s causing the issue.

Log in on the web version of sched to upload avatar. I ran into the same issue when setting it up prior to Cruise Moab.

Haha test avatar photo completed. Worked on safari, not chrome. Maybe should’ve tried IE on the computer... Thanks guys!

From Bushducks re Animas Forks, “5/16/19 - It is important to note that this was a historic year of snowfall. San Juan county has discovered the valley to Animas Forks is FILLED with snow, up to 100' deep. And this is the access road for the Alpine Loop Essentially. Nothing is open for Memorial Day Weekend, and all trails are in doubt until Late July or August. Just don't want a lot of disappointed folks driving up there. San Juan County plans to make a valiant attempt to cross Hurricane Pass with dozers to bi-pass the area below Animas Forks but they have no idea what they will face right now. The issue is not just snow fall, but record breaking Avalanche runs that buried and destroyed everything.”

I am sort questioning the one hundred feet of snow- That said Lake City in Hinsdale County, Colorado declared at state of emergency.

As for carrying a shovel. This was the last time I ever went off pavement without a shovel and traction devices! I’ll admit that it wasn’t a Land Cruiser. But it wouldn’t have made any difference. The 15 or so miles of trail were dry except for this one spot at the top. I thought I could just plow there. Wrong. It took us 3 hours with the help of a couple adventure bikers half our age who dug us out. The lesson? Bring a shovel or go with people who are better prepared! (Oh, and I destroyed the jack on my LR4 trying to lift up the rear so we could pile chunks of wood under it.). This was not in the San Juans but the same lesson applies. (It was Weston Pass in Colorado.)

Shovel comment was a poorly conveyed joke.

Once one has to dig themselves out by tirelessly kicking mud/snow with a soaked boot, ya realize the need to travel prepared ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom