LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@rrc swb @medtro

I let the guy know that I'm not in a position to test the head unit at this time, but that someone else might reach out. Would either of you gents like to request a free radio unit from "Autojeta" on AliExpress? That looks like the sketchiest thing I've typed in a while but I do think they might be willing to work with you..

To be clear, this is for the JDM specific pre-2003 navigation system
If it's free everything (shipping etc)... I'd love to help. But paying, that's another story.

There's a member that has a 2001 LX470 and we can try it on his vehicle. LOL

Last edited:
If it's free everything (shipping etc)... I'd love to help. But paying, that's another story.

There's a member that has a 2001 LX470 and we can try it on his vehicle.

OH just saw this... forget what I said
👆

I tried and they wanted me to pay for it. I wish them good luck with their testing.
They are smoking bad sh..tuff.

What would i need to do to fit it into my 98-02 Land Cruiser with navigation?
@hammadi

This is a long @$$ thread to find anything :) ... But @WTB has done it and I'm PM'ing with him since he has one for his truck.

I'm going to see if I can use @unleashd 2001 LX470 as a guinea pig ( :rofl: )and get the unit installed. He's been looking for options for while.

If I remember, I'll do a write-up.

Reactions: WTB
I'm going to see if I can use @unleashd 2001 LX470 as a guinea pig ( :rofl: )and get the unit installed. He's been looking for options for while.

If I remember, I'll do a write-up.
@rrc swb Thanks for making me the guinea pig. I placed the order. Now you have to do the install, and do the write up. I'll help with taking pictures :rofl:

Oooh this could be amazing.

Unleashed what is the exact spec of you truck, ie which market did it come from and what ice do I have now?
I have a 2001 LX470. Here's a pic of my console. Sent this to the seller to verify. Package was shipped a couple of days back. Eagerly waiting to receive & install it.

i-cnjkDvh-X2.jpg

I have a 2001 LX470. Here's a pic of my console. Sent this to the seller to verify. Package was shipped a couple of days back. Eagerly waiting to receive & install it.

i-cnjkDvh-X2.jpg
I have the same console in my Land Cruiser.
Please update after installation.

I recently installed one of the Tesla screens after the factory nav screen cracked in my 2007 lx. I was eyeing them for a while and had heard about the airbag light issue for 2006 and later trucks. Here is the solution that worked for me. Hopefully this also works for the late model LC and non-US guys.

This is a picture of the passenger side of the factory system. These connectors are what links the passenger airbag light to the rest of the air bag system. Your Tesla system will replace both of these with new connectors but is missing wires, resulting in a failed SRS check and dashboard airbag MIL.

View attachment 2448519

These are the Tesla replacements. To solve the airbag light issue, you need to add two wires where indicated.

View attachment 2448585

View attachment 2448586

If you're like me, you won't have the necessary wires/pins laying around. Luckily, your Telsa unit came with two versions of the harness in question: a "high" configuration that you use for LC/LXs with a nav system and the "low and medium" configuration that isn't used. The low and medium version has wires with pins that fit the male connector to the passenger airbag indicator. In my case, the other end did not have pins that fit the connector to the factory harness. My solution was to cut two wires from the unused harness at the end that I didn't want (i.e., cut the end opposite the connector to the passenger airbag light indicator and remove the pin ends from the unused connector) and to use posi-taps to tap these into the factory harness wires that correspond to the marked pin holes above. In my factory harness, that meant I tapped pin 2 to a blue/black wire and pin 3 to a brownish wire. Once done, you will have 4 total wires going to the passenger airbag indicator (the two that came with your Tesla unit plus the two you just added). I have also asked my seller to send an updated harness so I can remove the taps later and will post a pic of the updated harness if they send one. Hopefully they will start shipping these with the pins already included at some point to address the issue.

View attachment 2448600

Before putting it all back together, connect your passenger airbag indicator light and test for normal operation. The dashboard airbag light should turn on for about 6 seconds during the SRS test when you first turn on the car, and then it should shut off. After the SRS test is complete, the passenger airbag indicator light should be off (i.e., neither "off" or "on" illuminated) when the passenger seat is empty. With light pressure on the passenger seat (~30 lbs, but I can't remember the exact number from the FSM), "off" should be illuminated. With the weight of an adult in the passenger seat, "on" should be illuminated. If your light is displaying "off" when an adult is in the seat and "on" when there is light pressure on the seat, your pin 2 and pin 3 are reversed. Switch them and retest. The passenger seat belt indicator should be off when the seat is empty or occupied with the belt buckled and illuminated if the seat is occupied and the belt is unbuckled.

View attachment 2448606

Once everything is confirmed working, button it all back up and enjoy your Tesla screen. I think it's a solid upgrade to the original system if you are willing to put in the time to set it up. As an aside, I bought mine from Phoenix Automotive. Everything functions as it should after some time fiddling with the settings and pulling the front seat to tap into the TV ECU for the reverse cam feed from the OEM camera as shown earlier in this thread. Phoenix takes 24 hours to respond to questions (and sends these annoying automated "acknowledgments" that they are working on your message) but does provide support and was instrumental in finding a resolution to my airbag issue. I got capped out at 5 pics in the post so pic of my set up is in the next post. Just need to get some OEM vents with proper clips and a better screen protector, and I'm good to go.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been stuck on this and would greatly appreciate your help or advice. I understand what is being asked but I am having a difficult time getting the pin out from the low/medium harness to add to the high config harness. Any tips on how to retrieve it instead of cutting the plastic down? I watched several videos on de-pining the harness on youtube but still not having any luck. I got pretty much everything else to work as it should on the PX6.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been stuck on this and would greatly appreciate your help or advice. I understand what is being asked but I am having a difficult time getting the pin out from the low/medium harness to add to the high config harness. Any tips on how to retrieve it instead of cutting the plastic down? I watched several videos on de-pining the harness on youtube but still not having any luck. I got pretty much everything else to work as it should on the PX6.
My update for anyone struggling with this. Mine was just a loose connection. Thanks to @Lawdoglc Your instructions were spot on. In my case, I was using a (red) splice wire terminal, which was too big to get a good connection. I went back to my installer and he connected a smaller one (black) to make better contact with the wire and it worked right away. For anyone confused about the connection on the airbag light side, you match up the factory wire behind the light based on @Lawdoglc picture of the harness. I hope this makes sense. Happy to help with any questions.

Update: got the right Landcruiser version selected, AC controls working now. However I think when it erased the unit after too many Pin attempts, it erased ZLink and now has the system upside down. Im relatively green when it comes to Android, can anyone tell me if I need to reinstall ZLink, and if so where would I get that? Appreciate any help in advance!
Did you resolve the upside down screen and zlink? My screen is upside down now too, not sure what to do

I finally had the chance to install this HU in my 2001 LX470. I bought the top of the line 128GB+Carplay unit

The unit came packaged very well. But there are absolutely no markings of the manufacturer, model information etc. There isn't any documentation either of how to install it. The saving grace for all of this is that each of those connectors is a different style/color/spec and hence it was easy enough to match the connectors. The 128G 8core unit is very responsive. I was able to get it powered up, connected to the home wi-fi, locate myself on google maps, setup a BT connection with my iPhone, got Carplay working, got Youtube working etc.

i-KhFcrVR-X2.jpg

As you see in the pic above, the climate control and other buttons were not lighting up or functioning. Only the Home and Navi buttons were functioning. After speking with @rrc swb he said that I had to transplant the black unit from my stock HU to the new radio.

i-TtMnWRZ-X3.jpg

Immediately after that, the buttons lit up and the rear fan in the truck came on. Yet, the climate control buttons were non-functional

i-MvB6xgN-X3.jpg

I am told that there is a setting for the Canbus that is behind the password protected Factory settings screen. Pinged the seller and he said that the password is 123456. It is pretty late here. I will try to update the settings and post an update later.

@WTB do you remember if all the plugs on the loom that came with the unit got used? I think I'm down to just the pink wire from the canbus unit now but I have no idea what it's for

I am left with just the C & D plugs now. I just seem to figure out where they will connect to. There are 2-3 plugs, IIRC, from the vehicle side that are not yet connected and these don't match up.

Has anyone updated their Rhino Radio PX6 8.1 to 9.0?

I finally got most everything working. And now there’s no audio from the speakers. Any thoughts on this? Today is the last day before I have to ship this unit back to China so that PayPal can try to get my money back from them🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Mine is a little different (bought my unit for my 04 LC from Phoenix Automotive) than yours but I experienced the same sort of thing with sound and I was playing around deep into the Sound settings and got it to finally work. The amp settings, balance, f&r, internal volume etc were all adjustable and the settings were faaaaaar from intuitive. No explanation as to what did what and frustrating as hell
It was completely a fluke that I hit the right combination but I think that’s a possibility for you as well

There is an amp toggle switch in the settings. Is that “on”?

Yes.

Mine is a little different (bought my unit for my 04 LC from Phoenix Automotive) than yours but I experienced the same sort of thing with sound and I was playing around deep into the Sound settings and got it to finally work. The amp settings, balance, f&r, internal volume etc were all adjustable and the settings were faaaaaar from intuitive. No explanation as to what did what and frustrating as hell
It was completely a fluke that I hit the right combination but I think that’s a possibility for you as well

It took me almost 2.5 months of going back n forth with the Chinese tech support to get things working. It took the longest to get the a/c controls working. Only things that had to be fixed was that my lowest temp was showing as 96*F (with the air blowing cold like usual) and the speed was showing kph instead of mph. I had audio working fine until last week. I dropped the LX with the shop to replace the alternator and a few other small fixes. When I got it back, the audio was dead. I tried flipping all sorts of buttons and options. Unfortunately, I am out of time and will be shipping this unit back to China.

FWIW, it was a horrifying experience, but it was all worth it to get things working almost right. Once I get my money back, I have to decide what to do - Put the OEM back, put the OEM+GROM vLine back (was very buggy all along), go through a complete NAV delete (i had procured all the components for this before I found out about this straight swap). Or just shelve the whole thing and replace this '01 LX with maybe a '06/07 or even a 200 series.

Thats frustrating, I've had good results from using Teyes support which I think is critical with these android units. FWIW they're based in Australia and are responsive. Also, they've got a specific Canbus for the LC/LXs that many folks have had good results with integrating with HVAC. Cautionary note, the 06/07 LCs (I have an 06 LC) are the one exception with Teyes where the canbus doesn't allow you to use the native volume control and can cause issues with the stock stereo amp. In my case, i ripped out everything OEM for sound and have had good luck. If you do go 06/07, the LX and Teyes seem to work flawlessly from what I've read.
Best of luck on your journey to improve the tech on these trucks, in the wise words of Frank Costanza: SERENITY NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom